PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic stones: are they useful at all?

lunakasha
19-04-2004, 03:42
I just purchased a small piece of blue goldstone yesterday at a local metaphysical shop. They also had the "traditional" golden-bronze color, but I prefered the blue. Anyway, the shopkeeper informed me that this is NOT a natural stone, but a man-made one (and yet I still paid $2 for it....am I NUTS???).

It does look like a "real" stone....yet I wonder how it could possibly have any actual healing and/or magickal properties if it is synthetic??? I googled it and found a website that actually credits goldstone with opening the third-eye chakra, among other things....hmmmm??? :eek:

Anyone have any thoughts on goldstone, or whether or not synthetic stones in general have any value other than aesthetic???

I look forward to hearing from other rockhounds....

:) Luna

jema
19-04-2004, 04:12
colours can have healing properties!

Ilithiya
19-04-2004, 04:20
Happy happy joy joy!! (Sorry... could expound on this topic for hours... :) )

As you know, both blue and brown goldstone are manmade - colored glass and copper shavings. Copper's a metal of Earth, Venus, and is generally thought to have properties regarding love, prosperity, and I believe it's attributed to the heart chakra.

I don't use any of the goldstones. They simply don't work for me; I know where they come from, and in everyday life I am so surrounded by glass and copper that it just doesn't work at all for me.

Lab-created gems, on the other hand, are only allowed to be sold as a lab-created (whatever) because they exhibit the same chemical and structural properties as their authentic counterparts. These I can work with; although there are many elements in a natural gem that are in proportions waaaay too small to detect and reliably duplicate within the replicated gem, they're still close enough to throw off the same vibe for me.

Then there's the point regarding helenite - manmade gem from Mt St Helens ash, and despite that, resembles a natural gem more than a manmade. Oi.

Lab gems vs real gems, to me, is like natural vs synthetic patchouli oil. Slightly different smell, but close enough that both are easily recognized as patchouli. :)

But as for use, if you like it, keep it, charge it, and use it. Copper's good for holding charges, and glass is an inert material. Blue's very good for third eye stuff, divination, healing, and peace. :)

Illy

lunakasha
19-04-2004, 04:34
Originally posted by Ilithiya
Lab gems vs real gems, to me, is like natural vs synthetic patchouli oil. Slightly different smell, but close enough that both are easily recognized as patchouli. :)

But as for use, if you like it, keep it, charge it, and use it. Copper's good for holding charges, and glass is an inert material. Blue's very good for third eye stuff, divination, healing, and peace. :)

Thanks for the information (and ENTHUSIASM :laugh: ) Ilithiya!

I had no idea that the "gold" sparkles are actually copper dust; the woman who sold them to me knew nothing about how it was made or what its properties might be....lucky for her that I was mesmerized by its appearance or I may have decided not to get it...but seriously, I am glad I did!!! :D

I should mention the color, for those of you not familiar with it....

Blue goldstone is actually a very deep, almost purple-black color, with lots of beautiful, shimmery glitter-dust all over it....in the sunlight it is AMAZING!!! I think maybe I should have gotten the golden-brown one too.....:eek:

Ruby7
19-04-2004, 05:38
Hi Luna,

I don't think that you are nuts for buying this stone :). You bought it because you liked it and $2.00 is o.k.

Although (as already mentioned in this thread) synthetic stones are lab created stones made up of the same chemical composition as their natural counterparts, I don't feel that they have the same power/healing properties. But this is just my personal opinion. I like to know that my stones spent some time in the earth being formed not in a scientific lab.

In the case of goldstone, what Ilithiya said made a lot of sense.

Ruby7

lunakasha
19-04-2004, 05:44
Originally posted by Ruby7
I like to know that my stones spent some time in the earth being formed not in a scientific lab.

LOL Ruby...that is EXACTLY what I was thinking when I bought this fake rock yesterday!!! I have never knowingly purchased a synthetic stone before, so I was questioning my sanity for a moment but...ah, what the hey....it is pretty anyway!!! :)

Ruby7
19-04-2004, 05:48
I do buy synthetic stones sometimes if I like the look of them for jewellery, just wouldn't use them for healing properties :)

Ruby7

Nevada
19-04-2004, 06:14
I guess the question you might want to ask is, is it made from natural substances? I'd have different feelings about a stone made from crushed minerals that I consider healing than I would about polymer clay "rocks." :)

You might also want to consider that your tarot cards are manmade, and whether any other objects you consider helpful are manmade. Natural materials in their natural state certainly have their uses for healing and magic, but so do some manmade things, don't you think?

Nevada

lunakasha
19-04-2004, 07:10
Originally posted by Nevada
You might also want to consider that your tarot cards are manmade, and whether any other objects you consider helpful are manmade. Natural materials in their natural state certainly have their uses for healing and magic, but so do some manmade things, don't you think?

EXCELLENT point, Nevada.....I hadn't really thought of it that way! I have decided that I will treat my goldstone like any other stone: cleanse it and charge it....and love it!!!!

Whatever else may or may not happen, at least I can enjoy its physical beauty and smooth texture in my hand.....

hedgecub
19-04-2004, 10:07
Perhaps the best way to decide whether or not goldstone works for you is to try it :) Notice how you feel when you hold it in your hand, or gaze at it. Place it over your chakras, and see if you feel anything for each one. Carry it with you, get to know it, and listen for anything it might have to say to you.

You might not work well with synthetic stones, but then again you might work with them even better than natural stones.

I agree that since it caught your eye and drew you in so strongly, there must be something in it for you :)

Ruby7
19-04-2004, 10:20
Originally posted by Nevada
I guess the question you might want to ask is, is it made from natural substances? I'd have different feelings about a stone made from crushed minerals that I consider healing than I would about polymer clay "rocks." :)

Nevada

I believe that healing and magic properties come from a combination of the person using an object and possibly the object itself. If a person believes in a manmade thing then yes it can be used for healing and magic, and I like how you tied that to the tarot cards Nevada.

I personally do not feel a connection with synthetic stones (because I personally feel a connection when they have come from the earth) but I don't mean that they couldn't work for someone else. It's all about what you believe, right? Or is it? I'm still open on this question, so i'm finding it interesting to see what others think.

Ruby7

miss_apples
19-04-2004, 13:22
I actually paid $9 for a somewhat large piece of red goldstone...so if youre nuts then I should be admitted to the looney bin.

Copper is a natural substance that Im sure has magickal and healing properties (I should look them up). I was thinking about glass just the other day. Glass is made out of sand isnt it? Sand is tiny tiny little stones...so I wonder if glass does have some magickal and healing properties? That would make an interesting discussion!

As far as lab created stones....I've become kind of afraid of buying jewelry from ebay because I dont want lab created gemstones (such as amethyst and peridot) because Im afraid that it may not have the same qualities that the natural stones get from being created by mother nature.

starsongs
19-04-2004, 14:46
Originally posted by lunakasha

Blue goldstone is actually a very deep, almost purple-black color, with lots of beautiful, shimmery glitter-dust all over it....in the sunlight it is AMAZING!!! I think maybe I should have gotten the golden-brown one too.....:eek:

Luna, the way you describe the blue goldstone made me think of a night-time starry sky. It sounds gorgeous. I've seen the golden-brown ones, but never the blue. Bet the contrast is amazing. :D I'm going to look for one! Thanks for sharing...

starsongs

VisionQuest
19-06-2005, 13:07
I was at a fair tonight, and this vendor had the most beautiful selection of gemstones I've ever seen. I could have stayed there for hours looking at them. We came across a nice sized Goldstone, I loved it right away, but then I found some smaller Blue Goldstones, and decided to go with those since I prefer blue. My wife ended up being drawn to the Goldstone that I decided against. So of all those beautiful natural stones, we were both mesmerized by the Goldstones. I had never heard of them before, and when we bought them I was assuming they were natural. On the way home though, I started thinking and said to my wife, I hope it doesn't turn out they are man-made.
Well...lol...
We were both disappointed, however, we're both ok with it now. We were very drawn to these stones, and out of the best selection of natural stones I've ever seen, I think that's saying something. We're happy with them :)

wizzle
19-06-2005, 17:11
I have a blue goldstone like the one you describe and I love it. Seems very effective, too. I think it's protective in a way similar to star stones, but scattered rather than focused. Anyway, enjoy, they are so beautiful.

I know I'm probably wierd, but I think CZ's are a great metaphysical stone. They have a true crystaline structure, just like diamonds or quartz. I love my amethysts and quartz, don't get me wrong, but I find my purple and white cz's are good too. I'm not so fond of the pink cz's except to look at. I like the natural pink stones, particularly rhodochrosite.

I love my glass crystal ball too. I have several quartz balls as well. Hey, I just love them all. Attitude and love can make most anything effective.

just my 2 cents

sagewriter
20-06-2005, 04:28
i just bought a blue goldstone as well. i wasn't sure if it was man-made at first.

but i was so drawn to it, that it must have some use for me.

like others have said, the colour may benefit you, and if you wanted to buy it, there must be a reason for that.

sagewriter
20-06-2005, 04:30
Luna, the way you describe the blue goldstone made me think of a night-time starry sky. It sounds gorgeous. I've seen the golden-brown ones, but never the blue. Bet the contrast is amazing. :D I'm going to look for one! Thanks for sharing...

starsongs

that is exactly what it looks like!

i saw it and i thought of space/a dark and starry sky. it is so beautiful, and much more beautiful than normal goldstone in my opinion.

Emeraldgirl
20-06-2005, 11:10
I love goldstone. The copper coloured and the blue variety (I like the blue a bit better though it reminds me of a starry night sky). I have also heard of a green variety but I have never seen any. I know it is a man made stone but it doesn't deminish it at all for me. t's a very slippery slope deciding between synthetic and natural stones as a lot of "natural" stones have routine treatments (such as heat and oils) that people aren't generally informed about.

I have nothing against synthetic stones and nothing against natural I prefer natural but sometimes budgets constrain people with what you would like and what you can afford.

Beautiful Luna
21-01-2009, 13:54
I know this is an old thread but I bought a Blue Goldstone mini sphere this afternoon and it reminds me of a galaxy- it's beautiful! I'm cleansing it right now in the moonlight. :D:heart:

xoxo

HarmonyWind
26-01-2009, 15:01
I have a dark blue, almost black goldstone heart. I, too, really like the way the bits of copper in it make it sparkle like stars. I keep it as a reminder of the heart of the universe, since that's kind of what it looks like.

Apollonia
27-01-2009, 00:49
And I love my goldstone skull. She is just as interactive as all of my other skulls, and is a master healer.

Cactus
28-01-2009, 08:05

Although (as already mentioned in this thread) synthetic stones are lab created stones made up of the same chemical composition as their natural counterparts, I don't feel that they have the same power/healing properties. But this is just my personal opinion. I like to know that my stones spent some time in the earth being formed not in a scientific lab.

I agree. There's something about a purely natural, of-the-earth stone.

Briar Rose
29-01-2009, 12:12
There's a cute story about goldstone. It's suppose to date back a few hundreds years. In a monastery a priest was holding some shavings of copper when he tripped near a vat of molted glass.

Metal is a conduit, so I would think it would have some transmition.

But I never felt any vibrations from synthetic stones, or rather lab created.

Moonmystic
14-02-2009, 01:25
I know this is an old discussion but I've enjoyed reading it and thought I'd throw in my two cents (sense). I love Goldstone. It makes me smile because it glistens. While I agree that natural stones have a beautiful aura and a secret history that make them special, I also believe that there isn't anything you can lay your hands on that wasn't created by Mother Earth (unless your an astronaut of course and then maybe it would still be true.) In any event, IMHO, just because we humans use ingredients (sand for glass, copper etc.) or processes available to us on this planet, doesn't mean the product is all of the sudden, artificial. Everything comes from the Earth at some point, right? The ingredients have an energy vibration just like we do or real stones do, or mashed potatoes for that matter. Enjoy your Goldstone. If you love it, it will have a special energy for you. It's vibrating energy too "and" you can fill it with energy all your own if you like. It's perfectly valid and perfectly wonderful!

Shikamaru
04-03-2009, 14:15
Just because it doesn't naturally occur in nature, doesn't mean it can't be the same or better. After all, cars don't occur in nature, they are created by man, but they sure as heck are a better mode of transport (At least for long distances) than walking. Some stones just can't be created in nature, and I like the idea that we might be on the brink of creating more powerful stones.

Milfoil
04-03-2009, 20:38
Most of our medicines today come from plants which have been synthesised or otherwise altered. They work but often in a brutal, concentrated and specific way. The natural plant has these properties but in conjunction with other properties which make it less direct and sometimes gentler.

All things have some impact, when we alter them, the impact changes just as it does when the earth itself alters them through temperature and pressure.

Whether they are of use for healing??? who knows - certainly they look nice and that in itself can be healing as much art and music is.

floracove
04-03-2009, 21:38
Simple and sweet: Glass is a conductor of energy...

sleepingcat
11-03-2009, 08:56
I personally love goldstone. I'm partial to the blue goldstone.

I also find myself personally drawn to synthetic or manufactured crystals because of what they represent to me. To me, science can be a craft in the artisan sense.

I have a crystal I bought at a gem show, I forgot what it's called off the top of my head, but it's a bright iridescent rainbow with a box shaped matrix that's kind of like the walls of a maze. When my mother blew past, I stopped and admired it with big shiny eyes.

Scientists create it in labs, slowly changing the chemicals that go into the crystal to fine tune the color and make it have that beautiful gradient.

Right now it's sitting on my altar. I don't know about what properties it "should" have, but I find it to be a good piece for working on opening and balancing my chakras. I feel like it has all the methodical patience the scientists put into it, and I hope I can channel that patience when it comes to myself too.

Edit: My google-fu is strong today. It's a bismuth crystal I adore. X3