PDA

View Full Version : Adware/spyware

Demonesse
21-04-2004, 01:45
Would anyone know a good free adware/spyware scanner/remover?

wavebreaker
21-04-2004, 01:53
I've used both Adaware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/) and SpyBot (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp) and both work very well.

Le_Corsair
21-04-2004, 02:24
I will second Wavebreaker. They are awesome programs, and both are freeware. I'm more familiar with Spybot, but I have both loaded on my computer right now. Both of them create backups when they do a scan; if you notice obvious problems with your computer after a scan, this allows you to go back to your previous settings.

Bob :THERM

Kaz
21-04-2004, 02:44
i use the ones mentioned above. work fine and are free.

Moonbow
21-04-2004, 02:45
Yep I have Spybot too - no problems

M*

_N_
21-04-2004, 02:49
I like the Adaware - hasn't done me wrong yet.

N

mercenary30
21-04-2004, 04:54
These tools are great and all....but they just quarintine the offending applications......

What tool can be used to REMOVE them from your system?

Osher
21-04-2004, 05:50
I use Adaware and Spybot. They will also remove the offending items.

wavebreaker
21-04-2004, 06:16
Originally posted by mercenary30
These tools are great and all....but they just quarintine the offending applications......

What tool can be used to REMOVE them from your system? They do remove the offending objects. Quarantining is an option, all it does is make a backup of the objects in case you want to reinstall them (as if... ;) ). And you can easily remove quarantines as well.

Le_Corsair
21-04-2004, 11:48
A typical Spybot Search and Destroy (that is the full name, so it doesn't just find it) sweep will bring up a list of everything it finds on your computer. It will tell you what type of spyware it is and how harmful it is. Some things, such as the Google toolbar, are basically harmless although they do track personal information (and with Google, you can opt out of this.) A checkoff box is provided so that you can decide for yourself which items the program will remove from your computer. A backup is made at the time of removal in case you aren't that competent in making your choices. :D Removal will sometimes require that you reboot your system and do a second sweep, since changes to the registry are necessary to remove the items.

Ad-Aware works similarly. I would point out that when installing these programs, the first thing you should do before running a scan is to check for updates to the software: they are like antivirus programs in that updated detections are sent on an almost weekly basis. I check for spyware once a week before running my weekly virus scan, making it part of a comprehensive weekly cleaning of the computer. Here's what I do:

1. Delete temporary internet files. (can be done via the browser options menu or, with Windows 98, via the Disc Cleanup option of the System Tools menu. This means less files for Spybot, Ad-Aware and your Antivirus to scan.

2. Check for updates and run Spybot.

3. Check for updates and run Ad-Aware.

4. Check for updates and run your Antivirus.

I'll add that you should do an occasional defragmentation of your hard drive, too. I do this about once per month. If you constantly add and remove programs, you might consider doing it more often.

_N_
21-04-2004, 12:21
I like your online name Bob - we used to be owners/partners of a fencing studio/school - it was called Corsair ;)

N

Le_Corsair
21-04-2004, 14:13
Originally posted by _N_
I like your online name Bob - we used to be owners/partners of a fencing studio/school - it was called Corsair ;)

N

Thank you! It is a upscale version of pirate, which is a particular field of study of mine. :)

WolfyJames
21-04-2004, 15:06
There is also SpywareBlaster, free as well, that blocks spywares before they do damages, and SpywareGuard that blocks browser hijackers (free too).

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html

Moonbow
21-04-2004, 16:36
Does anyone worry about what they are deleting? I quarantine the files and folders and when I look at them, have no idea what they are! Do you think it would be ok to delete?

M*

wavebreaker
21-04-2004, 16:41
I normally delete everything. You'll probably recognise things that you have installed yourself, so you can decide to keep them. If you're unsure, create a quarantine/backup and you can always re-install something later.

Umbrae
26-04-2004, 10:28
A timely post.

Had an CWS (coolwebsearch) trojan horse, and a host of other adware/sypware programs that the virus program does not track.

Thanks guys…

Majecot
26-04-2004, 14:13
Originally posted by Moonbow*
Does anyone worry about what they are deleting? I quarantine the files and folders and when I look at them, have no idea what they are! Do you think it would be ok to delete?

M*

I use Adaware at home and work, I really like it, and no I sure don't worry about anything I am deleting, It tells you what kind of files they are, I work in law enforcement and the last thing I want on my computers and any kind of tracking cookie or hijacking software. I figure if I didn't put it there then buhbye.
We also use the Google tool bar whch helps with the pop ups. (also free).