If but one deck... which one?

Which type of deck would you choose if only one kind was henceforth available?

• Marseille type

Votes: 25 17.6%
  • Waite - Colman Smith deck or closely similar

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • Crowley - Harris ('Thoth') deck

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • other (including modifications of the above)

Votes: 34 23.9%

• Total voters

jmd

At various times, we have discussed what deck we would choose if stranded on a desert island, or if 'saved' from some global disaster, or if...

...basically, trying to create a scenario in order to actually constrain the selection to a single deck (of seventy-eight cards, so no combining of decks and calling it a single deck!).

In the poll, I have tried to isolate the most popular types, and provided an 'other', as undoubtedly my choices will not reflect the needs of many.

I have also actually closed the poll to see if I should first edit it prior to votes taking place (I shall open it in approximately 24 hours).

The question is, then, if there was but one deck which was going to be printed and available where one lives (and moving wouldn't solve the problem, for that would then be where one lives, even if temporarily), which deck would it be?

Please note that I personally value many of the range of Tarot decks currently available... the question is there more to try to reflect our 'valuing' of type of deck :)

In the interest of making known where I will vote, ... it will have to be for the Marseilles pattern!

Mimers

This is not a fair question! I would have to decide the RWS deck. It is the one I learned on and would be most comfortable with in the end. I guess. I love my Marseilles too, and my beautiful Soprafino I could not imagine being without! Thoth, no problem. I could go with or without that one.

Mimi

Rusty Neon

jmd said:
I have also actually closed the poll to see if I should first edit it prior to votes taking place (I shall open it in approximately 24 hours).

That's an interesting polling feature I'd like to use with polls that I conduct. How do I go about closing a poll pending comments, then starting it up again?

Jewel-ry

A tricky question but I would go for a Marseille. It was a difficult choice though between it, and the Soprafino.

:)

Zephyros

Lets hope it never happens since I love my decks, but I suppose I would keep my RWS, since its the one I learnt from and its like a comfortable friend to me.

About the choices, I thinks its fair to say those are the Big Three. What about Oracles? I don't use them myself, but maybe there are people who wouldn't be willing to part with them.

Centaur

I think I would choose Crowley... but I am not 100% sure. LOL. And if I did choose Crowley then it would have to be the actual Thoth.

Difficult one. I am drawn to the RW also, but for the sake of which deck I feel I am connecting with at the moment, then I would have to state the Thoth.

Nycelle

Gah! Don't make me choose!

OK. . . probably Glastonbury. The myths and stories behind the cards would keep me amused on the desert island. . .

Rusty Neon

Maybe it would be a good idea to have more main categories and to subdivide the Other into subcategories.

e.g.: make the choices

RWS
Marseilles
Thoth
RWS-inspired
Thoth-inspired
Marseilles cousin (however you phrase that, to cover IJJ Swiss, etc.)
Soprafino
Golden Dawn tarot, with non-scenic pips
Other - Pre-1900
Other - Post-1899 (with scenic pips)
Other - Post-1899 (with non-scenic pips)

Otherwise, RWS-inspired, Osho Zen people, Marseilles cousin people and Soprafino people would all be voting the same, i.e., "Other".

Rusty Neon

Perhaps there also should be a choice called "RWS/RWS-inspired AND Marseilles". Otherwise, various twin users may vote RWS (or RWS-inspired) rather than Marseilles, thereby making the Marseilles numbers smaller than indicated by Marseilles posting activity on the H&I board. As well, allow for an option "Thoth AND Marseilles".

diane drizzy

I'd have to go for my Faeries Orace, they're great little friends.
If it HAD to be a tarot deck it would be my Spiral Tarot.