Understanding Emerald

eastarot

On the advice of a fairly reputed vedic astrologer, I've just begun wearing an emerald ring on my little finger on my right hand. Apparently, in Vedic astrology, Mercury (my planet) is symbolised by emerald.

From what i've come to understand emerald is considered good in India as a form of protection against harmful energies, promoting unconditional love, prosperity and peace of mind.

Would love to know if anyone else knows anything else about Emerald. It's the first emerald I've owned and its really quite a pretty piece.

Thanks!

eastarot

Bluemanticore

Eastarot, according to "Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magic," the attributions of the emerald are:

Energy: Receptive
Planet: Venus
Element: Earth
Dieties: Isis, Venus, Ceres, Vishnu
Powers: Love, Money, Mental Powers, Psychism, Protection, Exorcism, Eyesight

Regarding your comment about India, Cunningham says that "ancient Hindu writings prescribe wearing the stone during sleep to halt nocturnal emissions."

Sandra Kynes's "Gemstone Feng Shui" says Emerald is associated with zodiac signs Aries, Cancer, Gemini, and Taurus, and planets Jupiter and Venus.

Interesting how both say Emerald's planet is Venus, and Kynes throws in Jupiter as well, while you say it is connected to Mercury. Not exactly an area where agreement is common, huh? ;) A bit of extra info, Cunningham says some stones related to Mercury are Agate, Aventurine, Mottled Jasper, Mica, and Pumice. No Venus. Oh well.

A side note, there is legend that emeralds can cure epilepsy and personally, I use emerald as the representative of all Earth stones. Sapphire is water, Diamond is air, and Ruby is Fire for me.

Hope this helps.
Bluemanticore

eastarot

Thanks! Though its quite contrary to the Eastern view, its still very informative. Apparently, in ancient times the Mughal kings of India wore emeralds as a talisman against evil.

TY once again:)

eastarot

Sillanza

This is kind of an old thread ... but I always wear my emerald when I'm sick. I usually feel at least less miserable.

Kyrielle

Emerald is a very strong love stone. Think Fourth Chakra Green. There is actually a stronger tradition for emerald wedding rings than for diamond ones. Diamonds as wedding stones is a convention started by the diamond companies, who carefully control the supply-and-demand principle of that stone to make it seem more monetarily valuable than it really should be. Emeralds and amethysts would be a more traditional, as well as more metaphysically-oriented, choice for wedding or engagement rings. And less expensive as well!

Kyrielle

eastarot

It's been 2 months since I've been wearing my emerald ring and I do feel a definete improvement - more calm, more positive feelings and more work:)

TY all for posting your info, I look forward to more

blessings

eastarot

CreativeFire

Kyrielle said:
Emerald is a very strong love stone. Think Fourth Chakra Green. There is actually a stronger tradition for emerald wedding rings than for diamond ones. Diamonds as wedding stones is a convention started by the diamond companies, who carefully control the supply-and-demand principle of that stone to make it seem more monetarily valuable than it really should be. Emeralds and amethysts would be a more traditional, as well as more metaphysically-oriented, choice for wedding or engagement rings. And less expensive as well!

Interesting info, Kyrielle, about emeralds being more traditional wedding rings than diamond ones. Emeralds are my favourite precious stone and I actually wear an emerald engagement / wedding ring, instead of a diamond one, because I like them better and love the deep green colour! :)

From my crystal book by Judy Hall:

Properties: Gives physical, emotional and mental equilibrium, focuses intention, raises concsiousness, and fosters positive action. Provides inspiration and infinite patience; enhances psychic abilities and wisdom from mental plane. Strengthens memory, aids eloquence, promotes truth, inspires deep inner knowing.

"Stone of successful love" - bringing domestic bliss and loyalty. (like this bit :) )

Position: Wear on the little finger, ring finger, over the heart or on the right arm.

CreativeFire

Kahlie

I love the Emerald too.

I have a heartshaped emerald pendant. At least, I think it's emerald, is there any way to know for sure?

I bought it a couple of years ago from Lalique, and I was sure they told me it was an emerald, but I read only recently that they are very precious, so it might be some other stone...

Is there anybody who knows how I can find this out? And if they are really so expensive that it's unlikely that mine is an emerald?

eastarot

Lalique is a reputed brand worldwide so I would trust the fact that it is emerald. One thing about emerald I know is that its rarely pure green, its not abnormal to see blackish flecks in it.

As this book on gems says " It has a typical distinctive hue called emerald green. This colour is due to traces of chromium. The colour of emeralds can vary from light to dark green and may be bright or leaf green. all emeralds contain inclusions which may not be visible to the naked eye in excellent quality emeralds"

Oh, and another quote now that we're on this topic. Emerald is considered the goddess among stones :)

"They are specially beneficial for writers. They increase powers of persuasion and verbal eloquence"

Cheaper substitutes for emerald include green tourmaline, jade, peridot or green jasper.

blessings
eastarot

Fulgour

eastarot said:
...Mercury (my planet) is symbolised by emerald.
Do you have Mercury as a Ruling planet from your rising sign,
or is it associated with your Sun sign? Also, which one then,
Gemini or Virgo?