PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Emerald

eastarot
05-05-2004, 22:37
On the advice of a fairly reputed vedic astrologer, I've just begun wearing an emerald ring on my little finger on my right hand. Apparently, in Vedic astrology, Mercury (my planet) is symbolised by emerald.

From what i've come to understand emerald is considered good in India as a form of protection against harmful energies, promoting unconditional love, prosperity and peace of mind.

Would love to know if anyone else knows anything else about Emerald. It's the first emerald I've owned and its really quite a pretty piece.

Thanks!

eastarot

Bluemanticore
06-05-2004, 05:12
Eastarot, according to "Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem, and Metal Magic," the attributions of the emerald are:

Energy: Receptive
Planet: Venus
Element: Earth
Dieties: Isis, Venus, Ceres, Vishnu
Powers: Love, Money, Mental Powers, Psychism, Protection, Exorcism, Eyesight

Regarding your comment about India, Cunningham says that "ancient Hindu writings prescribe wearing the stone during sleep to halt nocturnal emissions."

Sandra Kynes's "Gemstone Feng Shui" says Emerald is associated with zodiac signs Aries, Cancer, Gemini, and Taurus, and planets Jupiter and Venus.

Interesting how both say Emerald's planet is Venus, and Kynes throws in Jupiter as well, while you say it is connected to Mercury. Not exactly an area where agreement is common, huh? ;) A bit of extra info, Cunningham says some stones related to Mercury are Agate, Aventurine, Mottled Jasper, Mica, and Pumice. No Venus. Oh well.

A side note, there is legend that emeralds can cure epilepsy and personally, I use emerald as the representative of all Earth stones. Sapphire is water, Diamond is air, and Ruby is Fire for me.

Hope this helps.
Bluemanticore

eastarot
06-05-2004, 13:45
Thanks! Though its quite contrary to the Eastern view, its still very informative. Apparently, in ancient times the Mughal kings of India wore emeralds as a talisman against evil.

TY once again:)

eastarot

Sillanza
02-07-2004, 14:15
This is kind of an old thread ... but I always wear my emerald when I'm sick. I usually feel at least less miserable.

Kyrielle
03-07-2004, 15:32
Emerald is a very strong love stone. Think Fourth Chakra Green. There is actually a stronger tradition for emerald wedding rings than for diamond ones. Diamonds as wedding stones is a convention started by the diamond companies, who carefully control the supply-and-demand principle of that stone to make it seem more monetarily valuable than it really should be. Emeralds and amethysts would be a more traditional, as well as more metaphysically-oriented, choice for wedding or engagement rings. And less expensive as well!

Kyrielle

eastarot
03-07-2004, 16:39
It's been 2 months since I've been wearing my emerald ring and I do feel a definete improvement - more calm, more positive feelings and more work:)

TY all for posting your info, I look forward to more

blessings

eastarot

CreativeFire
03-07-2004, 19:20
Originally posted by Kyrielle
Emerald is a very strong love stone. Think Fourth Chakra Green. There is actually a stronger tradition for emerald wedding rings than for diamond ones. Diamonds as wedding stones is a convention started by the diamond companies, who carefully control the supply-and-demand principle of that stone to make it seem more monetarily valuable than it really should be. Emeralds and amethysts would be a more traditional, as well as more metaphysically-oriented, choice for wedding or engagement rings. And less expensive as well!

Interesting info, Kyrielle, about emeralds being more traditional wedding rings than diamond ones. Emeralds are my favourite precious stone and I actually wear an emerald engagement / wedding ring, instead of a diamond one, because I like them better and love the deep green colour! :)

From my crystal book by Judy Hall:

Properties: Gives physical, emotional and mental equilibrium, focuses intention, raises concsiousness, and fosters positive action. Provides inspiration and infinite patience; enhances psychic abilities and wisdom from mental plane. Strengthens memory, aids eloquence, promotes truth, inspires deep inner knowing.

"Stone of successful love" - bringing domestic bliss and loyalty. (like this bit :) )

Position: Wear on the little finger, ring finger, over the heart or on the right arm.

CreativeFire

Kahlie
03-07-2004, 19:26
I love the Emerald too.

I have a heartshaped emerald pendant. At least, I think it's emerald, is there any way to know for sure?

I bought it a couple of years ago from Lalique, and I was sure they told me it was an emerald, but I read only recently that they are very precious, so it might be some other stone...

Is there anybody who knows how I can find this out? And if they are really so expensive that it's unlikely that mine is an emerald?

eastarot
03-07-2004, 21:08
Lalique is a reputed brand worldwide so I would trust the fact that it is emerald. One thing about emerald I know is that its rarely pure green, its not abnormal to see blackish flecks in it.

As this book on gems says " It has a typical distinctive hue called emerald green. This colour is due to traces of chromium. The colour of emeralds can vary from light to dark green and may be bright or leaf green. all emeralds contain inclusions which may not be visible to the naked eye in excellent quality emeralds"

Oh, and another quote now that we're on this topic. Emerald is considered the goddess among stones :)

"They are specially beneficial for writers. They increase powers of persuasion and verbal eloquence"

Cheaper substitutes for emerald include green tourmaline, jade, peridot or green jasper.

blessings
eastarot

Fulgour
04-07-2004, 01:37
Originally posted by eastarot
...Mercury (my planet) is symbolised by emerald. Do you have Mercury as a Ruling planet from your rising sign,
or is it associated with your Sun sign? Also, which one then,
Gemini or Virgo?

Sillanza
07-07-2004, 01:30
Originally posted by Kahlie
I love the Emerald too.

I have a heartshaped emerald pendant. At least, I think it's emerald, is there any way to know for sure?

I bought it a couple of years ago from Lalique, and I was sure they told me it was an emerald, but I read only recently that they are very precious, so it might be some other stone...

I may not know crystals that well, but I sure know jewelry. :)

Natural emeralds are almost always included. All the reasonably-priced ones I have are, anyway! A good look under bright light or with a loupe should reveal either black (carbon) specks, or an overall milkiness (calcite). Most inclusions are visible to the naked eye. Beware of the clear, vibrant green looking emerald -- if it was at all reasonably priced, it is likely created. An included stone may have a bright green color thanks to impregnating of natural oils for this purpose (this is a generally acceptable treatment of emeralds). The only ones I have that have that perfect look really are. They were used by a well-known jewelry designer, and have the 4-figure price tag, chemical test and insurance policy to prove their pedigree. Since emeralds are quite soft and prone to scratching and chipping, I try to always buy rings in bezel or channel settings, and wear them infrequently.

If a visual exam doesn't reveal any inclusions, a chemical test administered by a reputable jeweler is the only way to know for sure. I did have one friend who was brave enough to scratch the bottom of her stone with a sharp knife -- the colored film came off revealing the deception -- but I wouldn't try this unless I suspected this type of treatment.

Riversea
07-07-2004, 12:55

Cheaper substitutes for emerald include green tourmaline, jade, peridot or green jasper.

Another inexpensive stone that will give you the look of a top-quality emerald is chrome diopside

http://www.gemhut.com/cdiops.htm

Unfortunately, it is a soft stone, better suited to earrings or pendants.

Tsavorites, a type of green garnet, are another possibility.

I only have one emerald. It is a poor quality emerald, completely opaque and a very, almost black, green. However, it is large (I think it is over 100 carats) and beautifully carved with flowers. It is currently unset. I'm thinking of doing a simple wire wrap so I can use it as a pendant. One of these days...

Fulgour
07-07-2004, 14:26
Originally posted by Fulgour
Do you have Mercury as a Ruling planet from your rising sign,
or is it associated with your Sun sign? June 5th will be Gemini, and ruled by Mercury, plus it may be that Mercury on your birth chart will actually be in Gemini, which depending on the time of day you were born might also be your rising sign.

eastarot
07-07-2004, 15:08
Yes Gemini is my sunsign, Cancer my rising sign and Moon sigh is Virgo. I was born at 6.10 am which is probably why the Astrologer recommended Emerald.

Fulgour
07-07-2004, 15:34
Yes Gemini is my sunsign, Cancer my rising sign and Moon sign is Virgo. I was born at 6.10 am which is probably why the Astrologer recommended Emerald. Per your note, Cancer is indeed your rising sign, with Mercury at 1.58 degrees. And it is true that there is a special touch too, with your Moon in Virgo, the sign in which Mercury is said to be in exaltation, a position of great honour.

May emeralds be with you always.

Sillanza
07-07-2004, 18:00
Originally posted by Riversea
I only have one emerald. It is a poor quality emerald, completely opaque and a very, almost black, green. However, it is large (I think it is over 100 carats) and beautifully carved with flowers. It is currently unset. I'm thinking of doing a simple wire wrap so I can use it as a pendant. One of these days...
Over 100 carats? How big is that thing? It must be the size of a gearshift knob! Just when I thought that 11 carat pink topaz I had was big ... ;)

linabeet
08-07-2004, 16:02
[QUOTE][
A side note, there is legend that emeralds can cure epilepsy

Do you have any more details about this legend?

Curious

Bluemanticore
09-07-2004, 01:02
Here you go, Linabeet:

Emerald lore and tradition is older than recorded history so no one really knows where any of it started. Even though no one knows where the belief that the emerald can cure epilepsy began, I was able to find two recordings from the line of its history. Paracelsus's younger contemporary Georg Agricola stated that the emerald fights with epilepsy as with a deadly enemy. If the stone is stronger than the disease, the stone remains whole; if, however, it is conquered by the disease, it is broken into several parts. It was often worn as an amulet or ring for this reason, particularly by children. Anselmes de Boot, a seventeenth century philosopher, was another who recorded that it prevented epilepsy.

BlueManticore

linabeet
09-07-2004, 04:00
Very interesting.
Thank you for the details. Now if only they were cheaper...