wisdom well ...where?

yaraluna

can anyone tell me where to see images of the cards for the Wisdom Well oracle/tarot??

thank you
yaraluna

jmd

The deck is not a Tarot deck, as the review on Aeclectic also mentions... (just for those interested, here's Janet Boyer's review).

Ivarna's own site (www.ivarna.com) may show the images.

Though I have not seen them, from general description it seems to me that the cards use the term 'Tarot' more to mean 'Divinatory Cards', than anything to do with Tarot.

darwinia

Scans Anyone?

Just wondering if someone who owns the deck could post some scans? I'd appreciate it and I'm sure other people would too. Just a couple would be enough, so we'd have some idea.

I wonder at the marketing strategy of publishers who don't seem to allow images of their cards online. It's totally baffling, since that's how you sell stuff and get people interested in the product.

I found the same frustration with the Carolyn Myss cards after reading Janet's excellent review on those.

I am looking for an archetype deck (but I don't like older decks I've seen) so I would like to see cards from The Wisdom Well and the Archetype Deck.

I don't have gobs of money to take a chance on buying things sight unseen, it's not really sensible, and yet the systems of these two decks sound interesting as do the images.

yaraluna

got the answer!!!

Hello there

ia m back but briefly. this is for Darwinia about the wisdom well...

i contacted the creator of the book and system i guess, Ivarna. i asked her how to see the cards before purchasing them, etc, this is what she said...

" My name is Ivarna kalinkova, and I was commisioned to write the book you enquired about. Thankyou for writing to me. I think you are wise to want to see the cards before you buy them, and that when you do buy them you may be rather disapointed in them. They are small, and are done on very poor quality and cheap card. It seems to me the published has done everything at least cost for maximum proffit. But that is perhaps todays capatalistic world. The designs use graphic art tecniques, I think the card" The Shadow" is on the website. A dark cloaked figure with a tangle of tree branches and roots? I did ask my web designer to put it up there as a
sample, when the book came out, but he sometimes neglects to do the work on my site. The book also has been very "edited". and things which would have made this system unique and life transforming were cut out. So what you will have read on my website is not in the book. I think if you are in
doubts you should not buy it.

With Kind regards Ivarna"

so i guess that says it all. however, i still want to see the cards and the book....uhmmm

yaraluna

sunflowr

Wow, that's interesting that the creator herself would say that! Sad. Too bad she can't get another publisher.

I've seen the cards and, in my opinion, they are beautiful! A bit like Cosmic Tribe-type artwork (if you're familiar with that tarot deck) but w/o the nudity of course. ;) But yea.. VERY colorful and dramatic. I liked them!

ps: didnt see them online. I was at Barnes and Noble and saw them there.

darwinia

Thanks for the research!

Thanks Yaraluna.

Wow, imagine Ivarna herself panning the cards. When she talks about her unique system being butchered from her book, it reminds me of certain of the big card publishers asking artists to rework cards to exactly emulate the Rider Waite symbolism--a practice I find detrimental to true creativity and original systems. I understand the motivation, but we're living in a world of McDonald's and Wal-Mart, and leadership toward something more unique would be a good thing to see once in a while. People will pay for something different if you market it right, but perhaps marketing by publishers is becoming formulaic overall too.

I was at Chapters today and managed to find a set, the cards are small and the book has colour reproductions of the cards. I agree with Sunflowr about them being reminiscent of The Cosmic Tribe. They also reminded me of a more simplistic version of Anna Franklion's Sacred Circle deck. The archetypes were photographs set against different backgrounds and seemed to have the same sort of Photoshop-filtered glow about them.

I didn't like them. I showed them to my husband and he said "Oooh, cheesy!" So, I guess that's our answer.

I did buy the Archetypal deck by Caroline Myss--now that WAS neat and worth the money.