Help Mojo Name His Tarot Book

Vote for the best title for Mojo's book.

• [b]Tarot for Skeptics,[/b] or [b][i]How to be a Gypsy Fortune Teller for Fun and Profit (and without

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • [b]The Complete Charlatan’s Complete Book of Tarot[/b]

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • [b]How Do They Do It? Tarot Readers Exposed![/b]

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • [b]A Cynical Look at the Tarot[/b]

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • [b]Tarot Exposed: Revealing the Secrets of Reading Cards for Money[/b]

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • [b]Tarot Tricks of the Trade[/b]

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • None of the Above (please make a suggestion!)

Votes: 14 21.2%

• Total voters

Mojo

OK folks. My manuscript is close to being ready to submit to the publisher, but I'm still not set on a title. No doubt that the publisher will have their own ideas, but before I send in the manuscript, I want to have a title in place.

The first entry in this poll is the working title, and it helped get the publisher interested, but I'm not sure it's the right one. So I thought I'd get the Aeclectic folk to help me consider the options and/or suggest new ones.

The book is a combination of a how-to book and an exposé on the Tarot approach used by infamous Tarot readers like me and Miss Cleo (yes, I proudly put myself in the same category as her... I'm just more honest about it).

The target audience for the book is beginner or intermediate tarot enthusiasts who want to be able to pick up a deck and do readings for money without a lot of study, journaling, or memorization. The book shares a lot of the "tricks of the trade" such as how to maximize intuition and ask probing questions to help formulate the reading. Again, the focus is on people who want to read for money, not those who want to use Tarot for meditation, self-exploration or any other metaphysical purpose.

It is written with humor and a lot of self-mocking, but it is a proven method of teaching Tarot - this is the main content of Tarot classes I've been teaching for years. It is a book for people who don't really believe that Tarot has any special powers and who just want to entertain and make a little extra money on the side amazing their friends and acquaintances.

If none of my proposed titles work for you, please feel free to recommend one. If I choose your title, I'll send you a complimentary autographed copy of the book when it gets published later this year (or early 2005).

Alissa

The Complete Charlatan’s Complete Book of Tarot is my vote. But remove one of those Completes... unless youre going for redundancy - it may be a complete idiot who needs this complete book of tarot, but two completes still bug my eye. This title sounds more light-hearted, if humor is your manuscript's emphasis in tone and style, when presenting its content.

Noteworthy second however....

Tarot Exposed: Revealing the Secrets of Reading Cards for Money

This title will get you more sales, frankly. It reads like an "expose" and will garner more than just the casual Tarot user's eye, and sale. It will speak of conspiracy, and people love conspiracy theories.

Just my thoughts, and congratulations on your impending publication!!! I'm sure it took a lot of work to produce the work it will be, and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to pick up one for myself! ;)

Mimers

I voted for the Charletan's Complete Book of Tarot. I think you can get beginners and skeptics with that title. Good luck Mojo!

MeeWah

Mojo: Speak of the devil--I was just thinking about ye & your book!

Since books of the Tarot genre have a lot of competition, the more eye-catching a title, the better the chance to arouse a prospective customer's curiosity to take a look at its contents.

I like best "Tarot Exposed: Revealing the Secrets of Reading Cards for Money" for the sheer sensationalism of the title. It speaks of an insider's view of the reading profession. Suggestive of providing the nitty-gritty on reading techniques for pay & also information on even the less savory practices. Folks tend to be nosy & to be drawn to that suggestive of exposing the dubious--which is why the unmitigated success of all those tabloid publications.

Next is "The Complete Charlatan's (Complete) Book of Tarot". It seems to express a humorous & self-deprecating approach. If the writing style is from a humourous standpoint, it would serve well as a title & prompt more than a passing interest from those looking for a light-hearted or easy excursion into Tarot & also pick up some pointers.

I also like "Tarot Tricks of the Trade". It is short & its alliterative quality is catchy. Suggestive of the same features as the first choice & of not a lot of study involved for those not interested in the metaphysical or esoteric aspects.

Despite those titles, I chose "None of the above". I have a fondness for the word "mojo" & what it means. Besides meaning a spell or a charm, it refers to magical powers; is pidgin for "magic". With apologies for possibly the fractured English:

"A Mojo Guide to Tarot".

Melissa`

The Complete Charlatan’s Complete Book of Tarot - the one I voted for..

I agree with Alissa.. take one of the completes out, maybe just -
The Charlatan's Complete Book of Tarot?

Good Luck!
Melissa

Le_Corsair

Professor Marvel's Book of Tarot or Humbugging the Gullible For Fun and Profit.

That way you have an excuse to use a photo from The Wizard of Oz on the cover! :D

Bob :THERM

lark

Shake that Money Maker: Tarot for Fun and Dollars

Sounds kind of sexy doesn't it?

Macavity

Go for the Mathers pretentious approach:
"Tarot Denudata" (The Emperors New Clothes?)
or sumpin like that... :D

"The King is in the alltogether etc. etc."

Macavity

Rhiannon

Definitely have to go with the Charlatan on this one.

R :)

firemaiden

I like the charlatan one the best too :p