herb garden?

Niomi

I've been thinking about trying to grow some herbs this (or next) season. I'd like to grow some catnip for Slippers, and maybe some herbs that I can use for tea leaves. Aren't there certain herbs that smell good when you dry and burn them?

What herbs do you grow?

September Pixie

Lavender not only smells good, it keeps moths out of your closets and helps relieve stress and enduces peaceful calmness (which means sleep for me! lol)

hyatt

herbs, herbs, herbs,

I LOVE MY HERBS! I live in the south in the united states. So depending on where you live things may grow differently. I grow catnip every year for my two cats. They LOVE it! Catnip is in the mint family and it grows plentfully and rapidly. Any mint will take over your graden so you might want to grow it in a container. It needs lots of light and water. It buds and flowers. The buds kind of look like kitty pot. You want to break those off as soon as you see them. The cats eat the leaves not the buds. Once the plant starts to bud it puts all it's energy in doing so and the rest of the plant suffers. I think mr. slippers will love you for planting jim this. Also humans steep the leaves to make a catnip tea, it is good for nuasea and upset stomachs.
Herbs that smell good when burned: I love rosemary. It grows year round here, like a little shrub. Also sage smells great, but i have never grown it.

sleepygrl

Since I live in the SF Bay area in a condo type place we have what we call an "Urban Garden" We have our cilantro, basil, parsley, rosemary and a pepper plant growing. Plus a bunch of flowers. We love it! Everything is in a seperate pot and doing great. Just wish we had the room for a real garden :( some day *hehe*
our garden really helps us daily. Replaces our reason to go out side (quit smoking 3 weeks ago) now we rely on our garden.

Nikki

beeswing

I LOVE to garden and when you get started, I know you are going to have fun!

Since I like to cook, I grow lots of basil (try some red leaf basil for color), oregano, dill and cilantro. I also have lavender, lemon balm and mint. Lemon balm, like mint, can take over your garden, but it smells wonderful! Sometimes I try other herbs, but these are my stables. There are many good books on gardening. I recently purchased one that I am enjoying that you may be interested in. "Garden Witchery" Magick From the Ground Up by Ellen Dugan. I haven't read the whole book yet, but it looks like it would be a good one for either a beginner or a seasoned gardener.

Good luck with your herb garden! :)

beeswing

Moonbow

In my herb garden which is 11 years old now, I grow lavender, tyme, sage, chives, marjoram, coriander, mint, fennel, and I have a bay tree (my pride and joy)

I use all of them. Mainly on the BBQ but we put dried lavender in the house, and I use the sage for my own sage and onion stuffing. The Bay is used in casseroles and stews.

It's taken a few years of trials to come up with herbs that I like to use, I've had some that I've torn out like Lemon Balm and Curry Plant. They both tasted of nothing to me when used in cooking etc but they did smell wonderful in their growing state.

jema

I managed to kill my lemon balm this year, or rather the winter did the work.
i will miss it since it is one of my fave herbs to tear up and use fresh in tea.

Bluemanticore

Niomi, a word of caution about the catnip. Be sure you keep it well contained in your garden because it has a habit of going wild and taking over. It grows real well in the ground, maybe too well, so maybe keeping it potted wouldn't be bad idea. Other than using it for it's herbs, it does make wonderful ground cover and it has beautiful flowers.

13thFaeChylde

Let's see...I have planted in my herb garden lavender, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, pennyroyal, chamomile, yarrow, coriander, lemon grass, lemon balm, lemon verbena, spearmint, nettles and something else I can't recall at the moment.

Tomorrow I am attempting to make oil out of my lemon balm using the sun method....of course this is dependent upon the weather.

I love to garden! It's the best way to hang out with the fae :)

linabeet

elecampagne smells great when you burn it, and cedar and sage of course.