PDA

View Full Version : imprisonment cards

cartarum
25-06-2004, 10:27
it seems that imprisonment, or impotency(that being the inability to do anything) is a huge part of human existance. in fact, it is almost the driving part of human existance. so i thought it would be interesting to see how many cards we can come up with, that could be some form of imprisonment or another.
i'll start with the five of cups reversed, what i call "having no choice"
then theres the obvious; the devil, and tower reversed.
can anybody else think of some others?

Dakota
25-06-2004, 11:10
2 of Swords

is the classic "imprisonment" card to me, a prison of one's own devising, wherein you WILL not see the truth which could set you free.

Luminessence
25-06-2004, 12:35
Four of Swords - when you need a rest so much that the universe is going to give you one whether you like it or not.

Chronata
25-06-2004, 13:52
the 8 of swords has always been the obvious one to me...imprisoned by self circumstances, and those who hold on too tightly.

Sillanza
26-06-2004, 10:11
Death reversed would certainly indicate no permanent change in the offing, and that's definitely indicative of having to endure current circumstances, which for some might be imprisonment. I can think of lots of cards that when reversed would have this meaning.

poivre
26-06-2004, 10:18
8 of Swords

You have a self-made prison with your thoughts. You have built a wall around yourself, but the wall may be taken down changing one thought at a time.

northsea
26-06-2004, 10:19
8 of Swords (Old English for example)
Emperor (reversed)
Hanged Man
Justice
the Tower
10 of Swords (this card is Murphy's Law to me)

BlueLotus
26-06-2004, 12:47
A reversed 6 of swords -- :T6S in a reading would probably indicate just that.

Although it does not denote imprisonment per se, it does imply a stalemate, a stuck -in-the rut kind of situation due to one's own making or other circumstances.

lionette
26-06-2004, 14:32
In addition to those Swords already mentioned, I sometimes think of the Devil as a tangle with primal or instinctually-based behavior. Sometimes we can't quite see the way out of that forest!

tao51
06-07-2004, 21:11
I feel that the Devil is self-imposed because one can just remove the bond without much effort providing one desires to do this.--Tao

Thirteen
07-07-2004, 05:10
The Hanged Man but with the proviso that this is willing imprisonment for a higher purpose (unlike the devil, where your own flaws, weaknesses or fears imprison you). The Hanged Man takes on the suspension, the "imprisonment" of being in-between in order to achieve something important, usually something spiritually important.

linabeet
07-07-2004, 12:41
9 of Wands

Trapped in a hell of your own making. The prison of the fearful mind, the shadows at night eating you up. That's Jail time to me.

Major Tom
07-07-2004, 18:59
Originally posted by linabeet
9 of Wands

Trapped in a hell of your own making. The prison of the fearful mind, the shadows at night eating you up. That's Jail time to me.

Are you sure you didn't mean the 9 of Swords? ;)

Kahlie
08-07-2004, 01:36
Not an obvious choice...
but right now for me..

5 of wands!

Hassles everywhere, not being able to let your guard down or those wands will be poking you up again!

Ace
08-07-2004, 02:00
2 of Swords.

Swords are generally (to me anyway) worries, so 10 0f swords means you are totally trapped in your worries, even more than 8 of swords, where--risky as it is--in most decks the swords can be turned into tools to free yourself. But 2 of swords, caught between two equally good or bad choices, can be Hell too. Sometimes, you must decide in a totally arbitrarily way. In the end, I think, you must break a two of swords dilemma by taking one and dropping the other and explaining that, 'it just felt right!" And most people don't respect that kind of decision-even though (IMHO) it is perfectly valid.
Barb

linabeet
08-07-2004, 04:16
Originally posted by Major Tom
Are you sure you didn't mean the 9 of Swords? ;)

ummmm, yeah. I did. It was late at night when I wrote that.
oops.

the 9 of wands is not a hell of your own making.
being online till the wee hours of the morning is.

cartarum
09-07-2004, 06:40
in fact, i think that the nine of wands too, can be a prison whereby one must wait until conflict is resolved.
~A~

rogue
21-03-2007, 04:39
The 10 of Wands combined with the Moon means jail time.

ana luisa
21-03-2007, 05:00
In a way, many very positive cards can mean imprisonment when combined with others. if you combine the 6 of wands, usually a very good card with the Devil, it may mean addiction to fame, glory. And that can be a type of prison as well.

rogue
21-03-2007, 05:55
Life itself could be considered a form of prison, if you take the Gnostic viewpoint. That would make every card in the deck oppression except Death, which would then be your get out of jail card.

Psychebleu
21-03-2007, 10:32
I once got 4 swords (along with Tower, Devil, and several other neg cards), and the man the reading was about actually was hospitalized and then immediately transferred to a detention facility within the week. :/

Gavriela
21-03-2007, 11:15
I've had the Hanged Man (remember the old meaning was thief or traitor, those sometimes still hold true, as well as martyrdom), and 8 of Wands both come up in cases of actual imprisonment. Other cards too, but those stand out.

If the 8 of Wands seems confusing, look at the picture on the Waite. Sometimes it really can look like bars coming down on you. Not the usual interpretation, but it's happened a few times, so if the surrounding cards support, I do take note of it.

clarity
21-03-2007, 17:56
Imprisonment cards: 8 of swords and 9 of swords. The mind here is capable of great feelings of entrapment. 2 of swords as well, for preventing oneself from seeing the true nature of feelings. Also, the Tower RX, when feelings, individuality, knowledge, or truth cannot be released or expressed.

no_moon
23-04-2008, 01:03
What about 5 swords RX? Like being trapped in an eternal argument, unable to reach the 6 swords and move away from it....

Cavern of Elfhame
23-04-2008, 02:40
Definately 8 or 9 of Swords for me.....mostly 8.

The Tower sort of, but that's more the release from the prison, perhaps the Devil being the "prison". Do you mean literal prison? Then for sure 8 of Swords.

4 of Swords can seem prison like.

Cavern of Elfhame
23-04-2008, 02:42
Life itself could be considered a form of prison, if you take the Gnostic viewpoint. That would make every card in the deck oppression except Death, which would then be your get out of jail card.

Great point! Never occured to me, I've studied the Gnostics pretty heavily = )

Brillant observation.

palin
23-04-2008, 03:47
8 swords is the main card to come to my mind. 9 swords for inability to escape worries and angst in general.
Devil for emprisonment in the sense of dependence bordering addiction.

star-lover
23-04-2008, 04:40
9 of pentacles

mental/emotional imprisonment whilst physical/financial security being taken care of

ie

kept woman (unhappy but settling and getting told to accept her lot and finding things to do - anything except for her happiness)
woman in an institution/prison/cetain cultural family environments (weak to do anything but accepting)

8 of swords i see more like not knowing what to do/being scared/pessimistic