Where to get a good appraisal?

Justin

So after just recently falling in love with crystals (as many of you probably know because of my post!), i've recently been building my collection. As part of that collection, i've acquired about 100 ct. in semi- and precious gems. The only problem is, i don't know what each gem is (there are a little over 200 gems in total), or what they are worth. Where can i take them to not only get them appraised, but also identified? My first thought was a jewler (obviously) but i don't know if that would cost or not and i don't really have any past experience with jewlers, therefore i don't know a reputable one. Any thoughts or ideas on how i go about solving my wonderful delema??

Bright blessings to all you fellow rock-hounds!!

Justin

Ruby7

Hi Justin, I am a gemmologist and jeweller in Canada, maybe I can give you some advice as to who would be best to do this. Are any of the stones cut (as in a defined shape either facetted or cabochon) or are they all rough crystals?

Ruby7

Justin

They are all cut, mulitfacited gems. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! THank you so much.

Justin

Justin

So what do people think about taking gems to a jeweler? Anyone had experience with this or do you know if they charge for appraisals?

Ruby7

Hi Justin,

In Canada at the store I work at we charge $40.00 CDN for the first item and $25.00 for each additional item. Most of the items that we appraise are pieces of jewellery with stones in them. I have to measure the stones (tricky if they are covered by the setting) and work out the weight from the measurements, test the stones by various methods to determine if my guess is correct. It can be quite time consuming if it is a piece of jewellery with a lot of stones in it.

Your situation is different. The stones could be quickly weighed and more easily tested since they are loose, but due to the quantity would still take a gemmologist/jeweller a fair amount of time which they would have to charge you for and would still be quite costly I would think.

Usually the replacement value would be quite close to what you paid unless you got the stone on sale. Most people who are selling stones know what they are selling and price according to what they paid for the stone.

As for identification the best way is to keep track stone by stone as you buy them. Of course sometimes the seller does not know what they are selling.

You are probably best to talk to a few INDEPENDENTLY owned jewellery stores or metaphysical stores, maybe they can point you in the direction of a lapidarist (stone cutter) or someone who collects stones (rockhound) and could probably go through the collection quite quickly telling you what the stones are.

In Ottawa we have a Lapidary Society for rockhounds, maybe they is one in your area?

Good luck!

Ruby7

Justin

Thank you Ruby7, that is exactlly the kind of information that i was looking for. You've been quite helpful!

Thanks again,
Justin

Ruby7

Good. Now remember to let me know how it works out :)

Ruby7

Justin

Will do!

Justin