Power Deck Re-Print!

purplelady

I went shopping at Barnes-N-Nobel and to my shock and delight I found a brand new re-print of the "Power Deck" set by Lynn V. Andrews. This set has been OOP for eons, maybe 10 years or more? This is one of the decks I had and used back when I had 3 tarot decks and hadn't even heard of the internet :rolleyes: . Then I made the big mistake of giving it away, only later to realize it had gone out of print SO I have been waiting and wanting it for a long time!
Anyhow I finally got my 15 yr old son to go to the book store with me since I keep insisting he needs at least one book to read this summer :rolleyes: and there was the power deck! YEAH!!! Can you tell I am excited? The book is exactly how I remember it, very nice. I admit I was a little dissapointed with the new cardstock, it seems flimsy, and the color not quite as vivid, almost grainy. I remember the old ones as pretty thin but shiny. These are more matte, however they actually do shuffle nicely.
In the past I would either draw one card OR do the "sacred self wheel" spread. I always laid them out on a table, picture side down, fan style, and rubbed my hands together and then moved my hands an inch or two above the cards to pick the one or ones that felt"hot". The book suggests this and it worked very well for me. I'm so thrilled! I'm so thrilled! I'm so thrilled!!! :laugh: :joke: :laugh: .
The bookstore actually had this on their shelf, however when I went online later , I noticed no one actually had this new one for sale. Amazon lists it, but only has used . Even barnes n nobel didn't list the new one ready for sale. I could not find an actual website for the author that lists this new set either. One other thing- the outer box that holds the deck and book is a very nice thick box. However , it is useless once opened, you will need a bag or other box to keep the cards in.

zorya

the power deck is my current favorite oracle deck! aren't the pictures lovely! i would love to see some of them as posters. the deck goes perfectly with my interests in multi-cultural shaminism, self-growth and healing. i pull a card every day.

here is a link for anyone wishing to view the cards; http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/power/

they can be purchased through tarotgarden. (be sure to click on the 'more samples' button); http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/dbsearchengine.php?view_title=power+deck

Riversea

That would explain why I spotted one in a local bookstore a few weeks back.

I figured it was a used copy, since they deal in both new and used decks.

I didn't get it since I already own a copy, but I was thinking that I should offer to pick it up for someone here on Aeclectic.

I rarely use mine, but the artwork is lovely!

sunflowr

Does the set still include the "altar"? (a standing altar with a blue sky and cloud print on it, on which to display the cards). Also, what do you mean by "grainy"?? I once owned the original deck too and am thinking of buying this.

Fulgour

"A gorgeous meditation deck that shows photographic landscape scenes on the front of the cards and explanatory text and the meaning on the back. The Power Tarot is unusual in that the pictures are postcard shaped instead of portrait style like a normal deck. "

The note and the images are great, but
why Power and how is it Tarot ?

zorya

it's not tarot; it's an oracle. i can't find anywhere on the deck or book where it is called tarot.

i'm going to attempt to explain the power part. *forgive me lynn andrews* :laugh:

the power has to do with personal power and manifesting your destiny, as opposed to living in fear and not changing.

through universal wisdom/teachings/symbols, it attempts to help us find 'truths' which lead us to our own internal life force/power.

Fulgour

Thank you, Zorya. I was just a bit confused by the article.

purplelady

sunflowr said:
Does the set still include the "altar"? (a standing altar with a blue sky and cloud print on it, on which to display the cards). Also, what do you mean by "grainy"?? I once owned the original deck too and am thinking of buying this.

There is no Altar, I never used that anyhow. Grainy.............I think this was just my very first impression, but I don't think they really are. ( how to explain "grainy" ? -Like when your t.v. isn't quite tuned in right. not smooth. If you blew up a photo on your computer too big for the pixil count it would be grainy.) I don't think they really are grainy though. They just have a more matte finish, not shiny. Some of the colors seem not quite as vivid, for instance, the orange fish seem more muted in color.
However , this is all from the memory of a deck I owned perhaps 8 years ago and haven't seen since. I would say I'm DEFINITELY glad I purchased it now.

crystal dawn

purplelady said:
I went shopping at Barnes-N-Nobel and to my shock and delight I found a brand new re-print of the "Power Deck" set by Lynn V. Andrews. This set has been OOP for eons, maybe 10 years or more? This is one of the decks I had and used back when I had 3 tarot decks and hadn't even heard of the internet :rolleyes: . Then I made the big mistake of giving it away, only later to realize it had gone out of print SO I have been waiting and wanting it for a long time!
Anyhow I finally got my 15 yr old son to go to the book store with me since I keep insisting he needs at least one book to read this summer :rolleyes: and there was the power deck! YEAH!!! Can you tell I am excited? The book is exactly how I remember it, very nice. I admit I was a little dissapointed with the new cardstock, it seems flimsy, and the color not quite as vivid, almost grainy. I remember the old ones as pretty thin but shiny. These are more matte, however they actually do shuffle nicely.
In the past I would either draw one card OR do the "sacred self wheel" spread. I always laid them out on a table, picture side down, fan style, and rubbed my hands together and then moved my hands an inch or two above the cards to pick the one or ones that felt"hot". The book suggests this and it worked very well for me. I'm so thrilled! I'm so thrilled! I'm so thrilled!!! :laugh: :joke: :laugh: .
The bookstore actually had this on their shelf, however when I went online later , I noticed no one actually had this new one for sale. Amazon lists it, but only has used . Even barnes n nobel didn't list the new one ready for sale. I could not find an actual website for the author that lists this new set either. One other thing- the outer box that holds the deck and book is a very nice thick box. However , it is useless once opened, you will need a bag or other box to keep the cards in.

Do you recall how much the deck was, as a friend of mine paid over £50 for a used one last year. i just wondered if it would be cheaper with it being a newer generation deck.
blessings

crystal dawn

Riversea

I think the one I saw a few weeks ago was box price of $25.