PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed re headaches

Woof
02-07-2004, 10:52
Lately my migraines have been a bear.
Does anyone know if there are any crystals or herbs that help ward them off or help get rid of them?
Whenever we have major barometric changes I know I'm in for a bad headache and we've been having lots of ups and downs here lately.
Thanks for any info.
Woof

Kyrielle
02-07-2004, 12:16
Amethyst is a good stone. You can also try some of the other lavender stones, or maybe something cooling like aquamarine.

Lavender, peppermint, and grapefruit are good essential oils. Some people also like basil oil. Play around with these oils until you find a pleasing combination. When you get a migraine, put a few drops on a tissue and either lay it over your face or sniff it.

Kyrielle

Fulgour
04-07-2004, 02:33
...just an aside, but believe it or not, a good
Chiropractor can make a wonderful difference.

voice of experience

Ruby Red Slippers
04-07-2004, 08:39
Shin Jin Jyutsu, a Japanese accupressure method -
Hold your thumbs, either one or in sequence until you feel your heart beating in the thumb. This will indicate that your channel has been opened. All of our accupressure points can be found in the hands, so this is an easy remedy that can be done anywhere!

Also dietary things can influence the severity of your headaches. Have you ever kept a food diary to determine your particular trigger? I know it is hard, and the best way is to restrict everything from your diet except rice and vegatables, (no corn, grain etc) for a week and gradually add back one thing at a time. Laborious, yes, worth it? Only you can tell.

Light and love to you.....May your headaches ease from your body and may your karmic ties to them be cut NOW and forever!

Blessings,
RRS

Moongold
04-07-2004, 08:46
Woof ~

Another migraine person here. I guess you've had them checked out medically?

Chiropractic and massage can help immensely. It is interesting that you identify barometric changes with your migraines. One of the causes of migraine can be dilation of blood vessels within the brain, and this is a curious association.

I must confess I haven't achieved a cure - just a great decrease in the numbers, and the best thing for me now is simply to take a powerful painkiller like Mersyndol and go to sleep for a couple of hours. It always works.

One thing that has helped me quite a lot is the drinking of more water. A natural therapist at work told me that most of us are chronically dehydrated. I always have a water bottle on my desk now and feel curiously better.

This isn't minerals or herbs is it? My best wishes anyway.

Moongold

CreativeFire
04-07-2004, 09:12
Hi Woof

I don't suffer from really severe migraines or headaches, however I do get quite a few tension or stress headaches after a long day at work.

What I have found that works really well for me is a Lapis Lazuli pyramid - about 3cm square on the base and lay down and place this on my forehead with my eyes closed. After about 10 - 15 mins I notice that the headache has certainly decreased if not gone all together - depends on how bad it is - sometimes it takes longer. Apparently Lapis has been used for thousands of years by the Egyptians for migraines and headaches.

I also agree with the others that chiropratic and massage can certainly help in a lot of cases!

Hope you find something to help with your headaches.

CreativeFire

Woof
04-07-2004, 11:24
Thanks for all the replies.
Moongold, the first time I got the aura I did have my eyes checked to make sure it wasn't a detached retina and they agreed it was just migraines and sent me on my way w/o any prescriptions. I haven't bothered with a doctor since because they're usually not debilitating. I hate taking drugs and figure, maybe incorrectly, that otc meds probably have fewer side effects. If I catch them early enough two pseudophed and two ibuprofen are often enough to get rid of them. Problem is if I don't have any with me or sometimes I just kind of ignore it until it's too late.
Ruby Red Slippers, Monday, the day I had my worst migraine in 30 years, I had a diet soda. Probably my first in about 10 years. I was at the zoo and was probably dehydrated as well. I've been sucking down the water ever since. And I'll never have another diet soda! I've also been trying to get some daily exercise.
Kyrielle and Creative Fire, I'll try to get a lapis or amethyst pyramid. Don't know about the essential oils. Sometimes strong smells trigger them or make them worse.
Thank you again for all the replies.
And I know I should see a chiropractor it's just......
Woof

Aura Wolf
04-07-2004, 12:14
Amethyst!! Just place it on your third eye. Also good for sleep :D

poivre
04-07-2004, 12:23
How about a good old foot massage?
Whenever anyone has headache or leg pains I suggest foot massages. Just something to think about.
I never drink diet pop or anything else that as sugar substitutes, they make me feel upset.

Hope your feeling better!

Red Emma
04-07-2004, 13:11
The herb feverfew pretty well got rid of my tension headaches, and it's supposed to be good for migraines. (My headaches were so severe that I up-chucked any thing I ate until the pain went away.)

Some sources say that you have to take it for several days so it can build up in your system. For me, it worked right away. I've not talked to anyone else who used it, so I don't have a reference.

I'm not sure where to get it. A holistic doctor I was seeing had some in liquid form. I would suspect that it would be available in at least some herb stores, or the natural foods section of grocery stores. At least in the U.S. I'm sorry that I didn't check where you lived before I posted this.

A few years ago I put three tiny plants in my herb garden, and the little beasts re-seed like mad. In my case it doesn't matter. They are lovely and I use them for bouquets and the like. Their fecundity could be a problem for others.

By the way, while the leaves and the blossoms (small, daisy-like)are lovely, the herb tastes vile. When I took it, every morning I put mayonaise and about three leaves on a piece of brown bread and folded it in half then ate it. Still not pleasant, but very, very much better than those sickening headaches.

Best wishes for a clearer head.

HudsonGray
04-07-2004, 14:59
I've heard good things about the herb feverfew too, for migranes (it dialates the blood vessels in the brain so more oxygen comes through, reducing pain). However, I tried it & couldn't stand the taste at all--the only kind I could find was dried stuff for tea. So I can't say if it works or not because after one swallow I tossed what was in the cup & all the rest of the dry stuff. Maybe it's available in caplet form you can just swallow? Or as a liquid tincture?

I've had good luck with the headaches that are behind the eyeball by using an accupressure point--if you feel with a finger on your brow ridge about 1/2" in from the edge of the eye closest to the nose, there's a tiny notch. Press on that, it releases tension on the muscle tendon there that goes up over the top of the head & will ease up on the stabbing pain behind the eye. There's a notch on the brow ridge above each eye, so use the one above the eye that hurts.

Cold compress at the base of the skull sometimes takes away pain from the headache where you get pain at the top of the head, but only about 30% of the time.

Sulis
04-07-2004, 20:12
How about a good old foot massage?
Whenever anyone has headache or leg pains I suggest foot massages. Just something to think about.
I never drink diet pop or anything else that as sugar substitutes, they make me feel upset.

Couldn't agree more - better still book yourself in with a reflexologist and get yourself a proper reflexology treatment - bitter still a full course of 6 - 8 treatments.

Another herb which some find works well for migraines is butterbur petasin.

http://www.academyhealth.com/bux90hina.html

Love

Sulis xx

LadyMedusa
05-07-2004, 02:15
Originally posted by Woof
Monday, the day I had my worst migraine in 30 years, I had a diet soda. Probably my first in about 10 years.
Woof

The artificial sweetner used in most diet sodas these days Aspartimine (sic). Sold as the brand name Nutra Sweet it is a very well known dietary trigger of migranes. Two or three swallows is enough to set off a migrane for me.

Caffine is a trigger for many people as well, but for those with vascular migranes it can actually help relieve the pain and shorten the duration of a migrane. When taken close enough to the onset it can even stop the episode.
If caffine is not one of your triggers try a glass of iced or a cup of warm tea. Tea has less of a duretic effect than coffee, and if you prefer it sweetened try mixing in some fruit juice instead of the artificial sweetners or plain sugar.

LadyMedusa

(Barometric change as a trigger is an indicator of vascular related migrane)

Sillanza
06-07-2004, 16:38
My mom and myself have suffered from migraines for as long as I can remember. I've identified my triggers, so I mostly take preventive measures. Now I rarely get ones that can't be managed with otc pain relievers, yogic breath, acupressure or direct counterpressure on the affected site. I've had good luck using the acupressure point HudsonGray described for those behind the eyeball headaches.

My mom had limited success with feverfew -- she quickly developed a tolerance to it, and couldn't take enough to be beneficial without it also making her sick! Since her main trigger that she can't control is strong smells, she's kind of at a loss if "attacked," and her main recourse is very strong prescription medication. She has found that the sweetener sold under the name "Splenda" doesn't bother her like others.

I think Moongold's tip is a good one for all migraine sufferers. I didn't think about it until I read her post, but my migraines decreased about the same time I upped my water intake when I was pregnant.

HudsonGray
07-07-2004, 05:34
You know, I'd completely forgotten that dehydration is a key headache trigger! Just drinking an extra glass or two of water may be enough to stop some of them, especially the kind you get where your eyes feel 'burned' from being outdoors in the sun too long. Leg cramps are another dehydration warning.

rabble
12-08-2004, 17:25
Feverfew does help prevent migraines, or lessen the frequency or the intensity of them, but you need to take it every day to let it build up in your system before it will do that.

Also peppermint and lavender EOs are great for migraine, I have a little rollon bottle of that blend that's marketed as migrastick (in australia, anyway).

Drinking lots of water makes a huge difference, too.

If you specifically want a crystal cure, my little bag of stones I keep with me officially started out it's life as a migraine mix :) - aventurine, jet, and rose quartz.

If your migraines are menstrual, moonstone might help too.