PDA

View Full Version : how about a numerology forum?

linabeet
05-07-2004, 16:39
That's all I have to say - How about it? So very much ties into the whole tarotamadoodle world.

mingbop
05-07-2004, 18:48
i know nothing at all about numbers but some things are really surprizing and i think people in this site would appreciate that nothing is worthless---everything has its interesting points, no? and you cant rubbish it until you know about it....is like to know more too.

ferrous
05-07-2004, 18:51
"tarotamadoodle" .. rotfl!! :D

I would definitely be into a forum such as that. I know almost nothing about numerology, so I wouldn't be able to shed any light on the subject, but as always, I can ask lots of questions! ;)

Diana
05-07-2004, 19:18
One cannot understand Tarot (capital T) if one does not have some inklings about NUMBERS (I am not talking numerology in the modern sense here). I say inklings.... because only mathematician-philosophers can truly understand them.

And is the suggestion to study NUMBERS? or Numerology in the sense that one studies one's life and character through one's date of birth.

I hope we are referring to Numbers, and not to Numerology in that modern sense.

And also, there is a difference between modern Numerology, and Ancient Numerology (Pythagaros, etc.) This could cause some confusion.

There's a lot of rubbish one can find on the internet concerning numbers. It would be good to have a proper discussion about them one day.

Edited to add: What I'm trying to say is, that if Solandia accepts this idea, she must be careful what she calls the new forum. Most people today think that Numerology is studying your character from your date of birth. Which has nothing to do with Tarot.

I would love a forum called: "Studying Numbers".

ferrous
05-07-2004, 20:52
Since I don't know the difference between all the things you've mentioned, perhaps a forum like that would educate myself & others on exactly what you're talking about.

If it happens, I look forward to learning more about it all. :)

zorya
06-07-2004, 02:11
it's wonderful to hear of such interest in numerology.

it would be great if some of you would contribute to the numerology threads in the divination forum. :D the index can be found, stickied, at the top of the divination forum, or click here ;
numerology (http://67.19.40.82/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11533)

linabeet
06-07-2004, 02:49
My suggestion was pretty open ended. There seem to be a lot of different numerological systems people apply to tarot. The one I most commonly use is the numerology system of birth card and year card. I was thinking about it last night and wondered if there would be anywhere to discuss it.

Of course the greater ramifications or contradictions if the case be of mathematics, physics, astrology, kabbalah and all other numbered things which like to play with tarot could be discussed there whith what would seem already to be great vigour.

linabeet
06-07-2004, 02:54
My suggestion was pretty open ended. There seem to be a lot of different numerological systems people apply to tarot. The one I most commonly use is the numerology system of birth card and year card. I was thinking about it last night and wondered if there would be anywhere to discuss it.

Of course the greater ramifications or contradictions if the case be of mathematics, physics, astrology, kabbalah and all other numbered things which like to play with tarot could be discussed there whith what would seem already to be great vigour.

Diana
06-07-2004, 03:03
Originally posted by linabeet

I think there are a number of threads about birth cards and year cards, even soul cards here on Aeclectic. They would be in Using Tarot Cards, I imagine. Perhaps the Table of Contents there would help you.

I think that it would be important to discuss first WHO devised these systems, and HOW they devised them, i.e. from what do they derive, and therefore if they are valid, and if not, why not.

Anyone can make up a system and say "add up these cards, substract this one and multiply it before sub-dividing it." I have hardly ever found any explanations in any books as to how these systems were devised.

That's what I meant when I said there's a lot of nonsense being floated about. Nonsense with no explanation behind it.

Diana
06-07-2004, 03:05
Originally posted by zorya
it's wonderful to hear of such interest in numerology.

it would be great if some of you would contribute to the numerology threads in the divination forum. :D the index can be found, stickied, at the top of the divination forum, or click here ;
numerology (http://67.19.40.82/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11533)

zorya: I find it odd to post about Numbers in the Divination forum. Because numbers are STRUCTURED things. Divination is more intuition, isn't it?

Numbers are mathematical. They explain the laws of nature.

zorya
06-07-2004, 03:22
i don't feel that divination must be based on chaos or non-structure, but is very often based upon connections, patterns and synchronicities. i believe everything is connected by some kind of a large, universal pattern.

people have been doing divination with numbers, probably as long as there have been numbers. numbers are symbols. reading the tarot, playing cards, runes or ogham are also divination methods that are primarily based upon symbols.

smleite
09-07-2004, 21:57
Numbers are also insightful, and that is their “intuitive” dimension. Tarot can also explain the “laws” of Nature, because they obbey to spiritual archetypes.

Silvia

Jewel-ry
09-07-2004, 23:43
Number has had a huge bearing on my understanding of tarot in recent months. I would certainly welcome this at Aeclectic.

:)

purple_scorp
10-07-2004, 17:54
Hi all,

I think that the poor old Divination Category is bursting at the seams. It is a place that contains a lot of different things and it would be great if there could be mini categories.....one for numerology/numbers, one for runes, one for dreams, one for dowsing etc. But if we were to create all of these categories, then you'd be scrolling through category after category. Hmm, perhaps Divination needs a forum of its own.

Cheers

purple_scorp

zorya
11-07-2004, 04:02
i feel that because it is at the bottom of the boards, divination gets missed by alot of people.

i've heard several ask for a numerology board who've never even posted on the numerology threads we have! this leads me to suspect the problem may be in part due to the location of the divination board.

i suspect there are many who don't know that they can find numerology there because they seldom scroll down that far.

purple_scorp
11-07-2004, 10:14
Hi zorya,

that's sad if people don't visit the Divination category. I am probably more interested in divinatory tools than in Tarot, if truth be known. I would say I spend most of my time down at the bottom of the forum.

In fact, there's a whole middle section of the forum (Tarot Study Groups) that I scroll right on past.

Good thing I'm from the land down under, as the bottom of the forum is more like the top of the forum for me ;-)

Cheers

purple_scorp

SilverWing
26-07-2004, 08:46
I think that would be a great addition to the forums.

hyatt
26-07-2004, 09:20
I would LOVE that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anna
29-07-2004, 21:34
I think that it would be important to discuss first WHO devised these systems, and HOW they devised them, i.e. from what do they derive, and therefore if they are valid, and if not, why not.

Anyone can make up a system and say "add up these cards, substract this one and multiply it before sub-dividing it." I have hardly ever found any explanations in any books as to how these systems were devised.

Diana, I completly agree! Over the last week or so, I have been working on doing a few numerology readings. I've learnt the theory and the calculations, but wanted to try putting it into practice to see how much I'd learned so far, and also, to see if it really worked!

I'm finding that what I'm doing is working, but I would like to know why! Why is it accurate? How did the different calculations come about? I know that it works, but I want to know how and why it works.

I'm not sure if we need numerology to have its own forum for us to have these sorts of discussions, but they are certainly discussions I would be glad to participate in.

paradoxx
08-08-2004, 13:49
for starters we could have a numerology sticky that covers more than just the numbers: numbers in relation to tarot, in relation to religious symbols, or just different ways of calculating numerology (like initials, birthday, full name, and sylables. Here's the ironic part for me, all of the above for me is the number 9)

, i know that numbers have been discussed, but once the days progress to the next month, and as teh planets move within their orbits, responses end up lacking (its mercury retrograde time, don't ya know I'm natal mercury retro rulled too.).

Shalott
14-09-2004, 12:54
Yes, it would be great, but I also agree with Diana that it should be categorized correctly. Even in the study of suit + number I've found wildly differeing takes on the same number. Separating the schools of thought would allow for less confusion. But it could perhaps start out like the "General Study Groups" and we just label our threads until we have enough volume to branch out?