Polished, faceted or rough?

Aure

In what form do you prefer your crystals and in what ways do you use differently shaped stones?

I love my amethyst pendant which is basically an amethyst point that has been carved out of a huge chunk (don't remember the correct term) of amethyst points. I wear it every day even if it's not the most finest and most elegant piece of gem.

I used to like tumbled stones more and I still like to have them as good luck charms that I can put in my pocket etc. Now I like the natural forms and faceted ones. And I just saw the most amazing carved amethyst!

I think my next purchase will be a rock crystal point pendant because I feel I should have atleast one clear quartz pendant for everyday use.

DeLani

I prefer the natural forms of stones that have a definite crystalline structure - quartzes, flourites, pyrite, staurolite, etc. Or if they can't really be tumbled - like both varieties of TV stone, desert roses, etc.
For everything else, I prefer tumbled & polished. They just feel better in the hand, are more durable than when they're rough, and the polish brings out the natural color a lot.
I do NOT like cut/faceted stones! I hate to see a perfectly beautiful stone like Malachite or Flourite cut into some unnatural shape! Blashphemy! (OK I'll calm down now...) :D
Well, I guess I could make an exception - I like faceted semi-precious & precious stones in jewelry OK I suppose.

skytwig

My all time fave is RAW..... I have been a rock seeker since childhood and I tend to walk looking down..... (now for feathers, too :) )

But I use polished stones for jewelry for other people.... I am a happy camper wearing jewelry made from raw stones, but most people like them more 'cleaned up'.....

Faceted stones can be nice, especially when in totem form..... I have faceted 'animals' on my altar, for instance.....

:)

Kyrielle

I generally like tumbled stones for the same reasons as DeLani. They also are less apt to crumble rock dust all over your bag or pocket when you carry them around.

Kyrielle

Majecot

skytwig said:
My all time fave is RAW..... I have been a rock seeker since childhood and I tend to walk looking down.....
:)

LOL Skytwig... I always had my gaze to the ground too, and it wasn't because I was afraid of tripping. (good way to find money too).

I prefer the RAW stone for aesthetics, but I like the small polished stone to carry in my pocket and to rub between my fingers ( like a worry stone). Faceted stones are ok for jewlery. But I really like a good solid chunk of rough crystal I love the natural look, and I feel somehow there is more energy in an unpolished stone.

amyel

Well, I like to wear my stones, so I generally look for cabochons. I'm not big on faceted stones (except for my wedding set). In fact, this is one of the primary reasons I don't wear Citrine, although I love the stone....I hate the faceting! I have seen a chunk of citrine, tumbled but not "cut" that looks like butterscotch amber, and I love it, but the jeweler won't sell it to me....probably just as well...what would I do with it????

jlbvt

some of each, but mostly rough.
What was the question again? :joke:

paradoxx

I am addicted to crystals with inclusions. They contain a level of energy that is unmatched with other crystal peices. I have marble sized orbs with criss-cutting inclusions of nikel or iron, maybe titanium. I have several points that grew around the piece of earth it was on so it eventually created a phantom cyrstal made of non-crystal sediments within the crystal. I also have two quartz crystals that look as if they have had their green inclusions man-inserted, it just looks too perfect and spaced to be nature, but you never know.

I like th points and clusters, but the marble orbs are very cool too. Oval shaped poket worry stones are nice too, i just got two of them, sodalite and labradorite. Finally, the smaller tumbled and polished stones are nice, but they don't always call to me, others do depending on their size and appearance.

Justin

Okay, this is a little off topic, but i'll answer the question of this thread as well. First the off topic part. Like Skytwig, i tend to walk looking down. Especially when i'm out and about in "nature". Anyway, it was about three years ago, but i had this time in my life where every where i went, whether i was walking there, or if i drove and parked and then had to walk into the building it didn't matter. Every where i went i would litteraly come across four to five feathers EVERY day. This happened for almost ten months. By the second month i was getting a little freaked out. I didn't know what the message was, but i knew that the univers was trying to tell me SOMETHING. Unfortunately i don't think i got the hint and i think the time spent on sending me the message is long over because i very rarely come across feathers at all these days.

Okay, so back to the actual point of this thread. I have to say that my all time favorite is tummbled or polished stones. The reason being that they tend to be more user friendly and easily carried around (rough stone tend to poke and jab sometimes!) Although, and please don't hold this against me, i've become somewhat obsessed with late nigth jewelry television and the beautiful stones they offer!! Anyway, with that being said though, i still have a great appreciation for the rough stones and i'm always on the lookout (or shoudl i say lookDOWN) for the stones that are about my feet each day. I guess i just love them all, to be perfectly honest!

Justin

rabble

I just love all of them.
I have raw ones in a cabinet - a mineral collection, tumbled ones too, and tumbled ones all around the place, and I use faceted ones, and tumbled ones, in the jewellery I make. (on the website in my profile :) )