PDA

View Full Version : Ross Caldwell's computer problem

Ross G Caldwell
15-07-2004, 16:48
Doesn't anybody else get the "super-spider.com" curve when visiting pages on trionfi.com?

There's a big banner on the top that says "spy-ware has been detected", but the page is just somebody's portal that they're cramming down our throats.

The link Huck posted above has it, now I find about half the pages on the site get it. It's a "loop" or "curve" you can't get out of.

jmd
15-07-2004, 19:43
To just briefly address Ross's last question, the problem doesn't seem to exist with my browser (but then, I use a G4 Mac with OS X, with Safari as my browser).

Ross G Caldwell
15-07-2004, 20:32
Originally posted by jmd
To just briefly address Ross's last question, the problem doesn't seem to exist with my browser (but then, I use a G4 Mac with OS X, with Safari as my browser).

Thanks jmd. I guess it is a problem with IE only. I can't figure out a solution to it - pop-up blocking doesn't do anything, and when I close the "spider" window, the trionfi.com window closes too.

jmd
15-07-2004, 21:31
I've spplit the technical questions and posts from the thread in the History Forum and merged them into this thread...

This post has therefore been edited to reflect this (this was the opening post of a thread which only included this post and the next).

Le_Corsair
15-07-2004, 23:24
Have him drop by the Tech Support Guy (http://www.helponthe.net/) forum and ask his question there. They are computer experts that help with problems on a totally free basis, and security is their specialty.

I'm not certain from Ross' post whether he means his web browser has been hijacked or the Trionfi site has been hacked; if the former, it's easy to fix, and the TSG guys do that all of the time.

I will advise anyone reading this to switch browsers if they use Internet Explorer; too many security holes, too easy for spy/adware to infect your computer.

I would also suggest that anyone interested in computer security read this thread. (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=312542#post312542)

felicityk
16-07-2004, 00:50
Originally posted by Ross G Caldwell
Thanks jmd. I guess it is a problem with IE only. I can't figure out a solution to it - pop-up blocking doesn't do anything, and when I close the "spider" window, the trionfi.com window closes too.
Actually, I am using IE for Windows at work, and I don't get hijacked by superspider. Are you sure there might not actually be spyware on your computer? I have heard of this sort of thing happening to others, but I have no experience with it myself.

Felicity

Ross G Caldwell
16-07-2004, 02:04
Originally posted by felicityk
Actually, I am using IE for Windows at work, and I don't get hijacked by superspider. Are you sure there might not actually be spyware on your computer? I have heard of this sort of thing happening to others, but I have no experience with it myself.

Felicity

I think you're right. I had a virus scan, and had 32 infected files. I got rid of 30 of them, but 2 of them tell me I don't "have access" - they come up as Trojans in the scan, in my Temp files, but I don't know if they're the spyware.

They don't show up when I open the "Temp" folder on-or-off line, so there is something hiding them.

I still get the loop "super-spider" page when I go to trionfi.com (and random other sites on the internet), so I still have it, it wasn't one of the 30 others.

Sigh.

Majecot
19-07-2004, 00:03
Ross,
I think this link might help you. You can download a free version of Ad-aware and it does not prevent spyware- it does remove it. I has been a huge help to me.
It will remove most spyware, occasionally I have had to go remove things in my Add/Remove Programs to remove hijackers and spyware,bu you have to know what your looking for.

Lavasoft has a business version that prevents spyware, for a price.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7423,00.asp

Very very important..... UPDATE YOUR VIRUS PROTECTION ;)
Hope this helps you
(BTW, I did not get your spider when I visited your site)

Shalott
19-07-2004, 18:53
Yeha, IE sans pop-up blocker is usually the culprit of stuff like that...I avoid that dang thing like the plague, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox (all in the same family) and Opera all have effective pop up blockers built in, you don't have to jump thrugh hoops to open a link, they truly block "unrequested" pop ups. If you can download any of these, the trouble will vanish!

Umbrae
20-07-2004, 02:38
Super-Spider is a variant of the CoolWebSearch Trojan.

Find yourself CWShredder (Coolwebsearch trojan remover). Itís available on the web for FREE.