Mandala Oracle by Heita Copony

darwinia

The Mandala Oracle by Heita Copony
ISBN 1885394543
37 cards - 3.5 inches round
24-page booklet

There was another mandala deck that is OOP, but one of the reasons I disliked it was because the mandalas all looked the same to me. This seems to have a greater variety in colour and form.

Does anyone have this, and if so can you elaborate a bit on the designs? I recently bought four books on mandalas:

- The Theory and Practice of the Mandala by Giuseppe Tucci
- Mandala : Luminous Symbols for Healing by Judith Cornell
- Mandala : Journey to the Center by Bailey Cunningham
- Mandala Workbook for Inner Self-Development by Anneke Huyser

I'm drawing my own but I thought this deck looked kind of fun.

Thanks.

darwinia

zorya said:
have you seen the chakra mandala deck by carol herzer? http://www.soul-guidance.com/tarotdecks/page_5.htm [/B]

Yes, I've often thought about buying them. I know they are expensive but her production is top quality as are her prints so I think it would be worth it.

The only thing I hesitate about is the sameness of them. It's hard to tell from such tiny pictures but they do seem quite similar and I was looking for something with mandalas that were....dissimilar I guess comes closest to what I mean.

What about you Zorya, do you have any of Carol's cards?

zorya

no, i'm afraid i don't but would love to own the chakra cards. :)
...alas, my wish list is too long. :laugh:

presently, i am working with tattwa cards primarily for meditation, but they also work as an oracle. i've been meditating with them one at a time. i can see wanting to move from the tattwas, which are very simple, elemental shapes, to working with more complex mandala cards in much the same way.

darwinia

It's been just over a year and I finally bought these. Someone--maybe in the thread on best decks for meditation (???), said how much she enjoyed this deck, so I finally bought it.

Heita Copony has a book too that's OOP called "Mystery of Mandalas" which is probably very much like my other books. The Tucci book from Dover has a very extensive history and examination of mandalas--I can't see her book being much different. Still, it might be nice to hunt up a used copy to complete the circle. ;-)

I like the square cards, and although the mandalas are fairly simple, the short quotes on the back of the cards are excellent, and are from a disparate group of people.

zorya

the colors in the heita copony deck look wonderfully rich! i think often simpler mandalas work best for working on individual chakras.

i recently picked up another oop mandala deck. cosmic deck of initiation, by barbara m. delong. it's a pretty, circular-shaped, deck, but is what i might describe as 'mandala light'.

darwinia

zorya said:
i recently picked up another oop mandala deck. cosmic deck of initiation, by barbara m. delong. it's a pretty, circular-shaped, deck, but is what i might describe as 'mandala light'.

I looked at that several times over the years, but I think what bothered me artistically is that she used almost the same colours in each one. Mandalas to me should be wild and different both shapewise and colourwise and done on different paper and with different methods. Probably because that's the way I work myself.

I like the hand drawn look to it though--I sometimes think "mandalas" on the web look more like someone's used a kaleidoscope filter in Paint Shop Pro, which is pretty, but largely meaningless because the filter did it in seconds. I love digital art, but not for mandalas. I like to see the artist's hand.

I knew a fellow who was a mathematician who did wonderfully complicated mandalas in Adobe Illustrator--some of them copies of historical mandalas. They were breathtaking, and the beauty in the gradients and forms is wonderful.

BUT, once I started drawing them myself, I liked the hand and vision of the artist working the old-fashioned way better. Asymmetry and naiveté and odd colours and images.

It's too bad they couldn't work out the copyright issues and publish a deck of Carl Jung's mandalas--that would be very interesting--he was a pretty good artist. I'd like to see one with big cards and many cards, not just 30 cards like some decks have--something meaty filled with an informative booklet on the history and personal development engendered by the practice.

If they can't get copyright clearance for Jung, I am available--my favourite art form, and each one endlessly different with different materials and colours. For some reason I can make mandalas but when faced with a blank page that isn't going to be a mandala, nothing happens!

Jung would understand, I'm sure.

Tarotphelia

I love the Cosmic Deck of Initiation, and I think it is a bit overlooked. The mandalas are not really the point for me in that deck, but the beautiful spiritual wisdom in the meanings of the cards to be found in the LWB. It makes a nice addition to a tarot reading , to bring a higher perspective .

For mandalas themselves, my favorite would be The Gaiastar Codex:

http://www.gaiastarworld.com/pubs.html

I wish someone would put out a deck of Tibetan mandalas though.

darwinia

Dark Inquisitor said:
IFor mandalas themselves, my favorite would be The Gaiastar Codex:
http://www.gaiastarworld.com/pubs.html

That explains why I never bought it--it's a Pomegranate publication and they aren't generally available in Canada. If you order directly from them, the shipping is $20 US or something--even for postcards, so no options there.

I wish someone would put out a deck of Tibetan mandalas though.

The same Pomegranate publishes the Knowledge Cards--several which I covet--and one of them is the Tibetan Art Knowledge Cards. I doubt if there are mandalas in the art one--seems to be more pottery, clothes, ritual paintings (which might be mandalas--who knows.)

http://store.yahoo.com/pomegranate/k195.html
Check their ordering site at Yahoo.

Lots of great titles. I use these cards all the time with my tarot cards--just wish I could track down more of them without paying the Earth for shipping.

Emeraldgirl

I have the Chakra Arcana Tarot and the quality is excellent I have no problems with ordering the Mandala Cards except I ahve been buying heaps of decks lately and my budget is gone til next pay day. The Mandala Oracle mentioned is fantastic. I picked it up cheap on a whim on eBay and have never regretted it. Is a little too pastel in places so if you love bright colours maybe not the best but it's also very relaxing and calming.