Rose Petals

Heckta

Just a quick question and hopefully maybe... a quick answer :). I was curious in how to obtain rose petals that aren't toxic to consume (drink)? I assume not all rose petals are the same? What rose petals can I use for tea and are non-toxic or, is there no difference?

hyatt

i'm not exactly sure...but i too have been looking for organic roses so i can make rose jelly. so your not the only one who wants to know. i need to know where i can find some fresh. in my natural grocery store they have dried rose petals and ect. which i think you can use for your teas. they also have rose hips too.

Gyda

Hi Heckta and Hyatt;

According to The Herb Book by John Lust, which has been republished, I have an older one, the rose species are of the Genus Rosa. There are Rosa Gallica , Rosa Damacena ect. The medical parts of the plants are flowers and hips. Check out these website they can give you more information

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/mgmh.html

http://www.herbnet.com/

As were to find them an organic garnden store, grow you're own or the websites I think might have where to get them.

Hope this helps.

Gyda

Heckta

TY , for the info Gyda. Funny you said grow my own; I 've been thinking of doing that since, in my area it seems like getting natural herbs from natural herb stores is growing bleak. Too many natural herbal stores are closing down in my area :(. I did find an online site that I can order from call isisbooks.com they seem trustworthy. I am waiting for my order of sandlewood and valerian herbs. I would have order rose hips but, I was unsure if that was equal to rose petals?

Thanks again, for those websites I will check them out, and the John Lust book!:)

Gyda

Hi Heckta

the petals and hips are used for different things, so depending on what you were trying to do will determine which part you use so for one being superoir over the other, I'd have to say no.

On herbnet they should have a list somewhere of on-line store as well.

I luv the John lust book, :) its the one I reach for most, you'll get so much use out of.

Gyda