Lots of Rx

Shade

Ok so I'm just starting out on studying astrology and had something interesting come up that I thought some of the sages here would knnow much more about. I made up a natal chart on astro.com and was skimming through it when I came to the listing of where everything was when I was born. I was surprised to notice that just about ALL of my outer planets were retrograde. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, and my True Node (not really sure what a true node is yet) were retrograde in my chart. The only outer planet not retrograde in my chart is Mars. Any thoughts on what this could signify for a person?

dadsnook2000

Somewhat a normal situation

The outer planets are often retrograde -- a situation that occurs for 4 or more months each year for each outer planet (except for Mars) when the Sun appears to be in the opposite side of the zodiac. Mars' retrograde cycles are more variable than the those of the other outer planets due to its relative speed and closeness to Earth.

Oppositions, in a broad sense, suggest the process of gaining perspective, balancing issues (Sun meanings versus outer planet meanings), partnerships and integrating exterior values, etc.

You will need to closely examine each of the outer planets in terms of its aspectual relationship to the Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus and even among the other outer planets. Astrology is best done by first looking at broad themes, then acute patterns that are in close orb, then other detailed factors.

Good luck. Dave.

Astraea

There is a wonderful book which addresses the issue of multiple retrograde planets in a horoscope, "Retrograde Planets" by Erin Sullivan. It was originally published by Arcana several years ago, and I understand that it has been reissued. It is not a beginning text, but it is the only one I am aware of which discusses specific combinations and numbers of retrograde planets.

Waterlily

People with lots of Retrogrades are sometimes thought to be very thorough in all they do, or are "late bloomers" (possibly because of their thoroughness - they want to learn everything well).

Keep in mind too that the outer planets Uranus, Neptune and Pluto are "generational" planets because they move so slowly. Everyone born around the same time as you will have these same planets retrograde.

paradoxx

Basically, standard horoscopes and other astrology based output is for direct motion of the planets. For retrograde information, say you read a horsocope that relates to Uranus moving retorgrade and describes the situation as unpredictable and dangerous, now lets say you have uranus retrograde, the negative emphasis of the horoscope will probably be negated for you, but some warnings may still apply, such as that you are the catylist for the disturbance the horoscope is talking about.

Aug 30 to sept 2nd was an excellent example of how retrorade to direct energies present themselves. Pluto, Mercury, and Juno all went direct within the said window of time. Now Pluto is moving forewoard again, this time pushing waves into capricorn encouraging Juno to meet up with Chiron, which will go direct by the end of teh month.

Once you figure the period of the cycle (direct or retrograde) you can then tune into the frequency of the planets and prevent difficult interactions.

Fluffmeister

As dadsnook says, the outers are retrograde for at least 4 months a year (even longer for Neptune and Pluto). Basically, when an outer planet is in the other half of a chart to the Sun, it's retrograde. It's also at its most visible - which is an curious point to consider, given that retrogrades mean a person is more "inward looking". If when you were born, Jupiter was extremely bright (because it was opposite the Sun) you would imagine that Jupiter would really "shine" for you - and yet it would be retrograde.

Shade

Wow thanks for the wealth of information. My local library has a copy of retrograde planets so I'll pick that up. I've been reading Greer's Tarot Reversals and i'm intrigued by different ways of looking at reversals and retrogrades, I thought there might be some things in common. Saturn retrograde had me worried though... but I've made it this far =)

paradoxx

Right now, Saturn is in Cancer, Saturn rules Capricorn, opposite of Cancer. Saturn currently has less energy than usual right now so when it goes stationrary before it goes retrograde is when everything is difficult, after that the movements seem simple until the second station and redirect. Then things move back to how they should be.

AS for Saturn, maybe your natal retrograde keeps you from feeling old, Saturn returns may not be as difficult on you if the return occurs during the retrograde (which would be harder on you if your saturn is direct.)

Shade

Hadn't thought about the rx mellowing saturn, thanks for the silver lining.