PDA

View Full Version : I have a crystal that's growing!

Grizabella
12-09-2004, 03:32
Has anyone heard of this? I got this really ugly, gnarly old crystal once and I've had it for about 2 years now, wrapped in buckskin in my tarot bag. The thing is growing! The tiny little nubbins that were on the side of it have grown tremendously into actual clusters and the end that previously looked just broken off now has tons of visible crystals growing on it. I originally got it because it just "called" to me somehow. When I got it home, I could see the image of a crow's foot in the end of it, so I thought it was really neat. Now that it's actually growing, I'm in awe. I didn't know crystals would grow "in captivity" like that.

lunalafey
12-09-2004, 03:45
They do grow with the right conditions.
I put many of my larger crystals in with my potted plants- keeps them in connection with there earthen origions.

TygrEyes
12-09-2004, 03:53
Originally posted by lunalafey
They do grow with the right conditions.
I put many of my larger crystals in with my potted plants- keeps them in connection with there earthen origions.

Lunalafey, that's such a tease! Could you elaborate on what the right conditions are? I've never heard of crystals growing "in captivity" either. How common is it? Sounds very interesting & I'll definitely keep tabs on this thread.

HudsonGray
12-09-2004, 07:28
What kind of crystal is it, quartz? Do you have an identification on it?

lunalafey
12-09-2004, 12:32
Originally posted by TygrEyes
Lunalafey, that's such a tease! Could you elaborate on what the right conditions are?

I'm not really sure- I know that they need water.....
and the kind I'm talking about are quartz.

Moonbow
12-09-2004, 19:18
Now this is something special - the crystal called to you and now it's growing. Whatever conditions you are keeping it in must be right for it. I have never noticed this with any of mine. Next time I go into my favourite shop - I will ask the owner about this....

Grizabella
13-09-2004, 00:48
It's a clear quartz crystal. I think it came from the crystal mountain in Arkansas. When I say it's a gnarly old crystal, that's just what I mean. It isn't one that probably would have appealed to anyone but me. It's kind of long and bent like it almost snaked its way along through the other crystals it was clustered with. It's only about 2 or 3 inches long. Has marks on it where other crystals came apart from it. When I got it, there were little nubbins here and there like big grains of sand, one larger nubbin was there, but even that wasn't even the size of half a pea. And then on the back end, it was that look of smoothness where it was broken off.

Well, now the tiny nubbins like grains of sand are actual little crystal clusters about a quarter of an inch long. The bigger nubbin has grown from maybe an eighth of an inch long to a half inch long cluster. And the broken end is just totally full of crystals all with identifiable (to the naked eye) points that sparkle in the light. I keep it wrapped in a piece of buckskin in my tarot bag. Since it's been growing I haven't done anything else with it, because it seems like maybe if I did something different, it wouldn't grow anymore. Know what I mean? I don't know about crystals, so that's why I asked here.

Macavity
13-09-2004, 04:29
Extreme efflourescence? (A word I'd been trying to remember)
Alternatively - remember this (http://store1.yimg.com/I/villagestreetwear_1805_101298685) sort of stuff? :D

Macavity

Grizabella
13-09-2004, 04:51
I don't quite understand what it's got to do with this crystal.

That soap is gross!

September Pixie
13-09-2004, 05:12
efflorescence.
ef·flo·res·cence ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fl-rsns)
n.
Botany. A state or time of flowering; anthesis.

A gradual process of unfolding or developing.
The highest point; the culmination. See Synonyms at bloom1.
Chemistry.
The deposit that results from the process of efflorescing. Also called bloom1.
The process of efflorescing.
A growth of salt crystals on a surface caused by evaporation of salt-laden water.
Pathology. Redness, a rash, or an eruption on the skin.

http://www.dictionary.com/

The soap.. I'm not sure how it relates to the crystal either (or even if it was meant to lol).. lol but it is gross

September Pixie
13-09-2004, 05:13
Hmm I am really interested in this too.. I have never had a stone grow, I have however had a 'living' stone change color completely. :)

Grizabella
13-09-2004, 05:50
Thanks for posting that definition. I got a laugh out of the soap, but still don't understand the connection.

When I first thought the stone was growing, I thought I was imagining it, but now it's beyond any mistaking that it's actually growing, alright. I've been keeping an eye on some of the other clear quartz crystals I've had for quite a long time-----some longer than this one---and none of them even remotely seem to be growing. They all look just like when I first got them.

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I'll keep watching this thread.

Macavity
13-09-2004, 05:52
Originally posted by September Pixie
Efflorescence... is the only way I can account for crystals growing! :)

I'm sure the "hairy soap" would be considered FAR too dangerous for today's generation! Basically, you removed the bar of (joke) soap from it's packet and, over several days, it grew... hair. [no kidding!] But seriously, I always suspected it was an example of efflorescent crystal growth, by absorbing moisture from the air? Heheh. But indeed quite a mystery... ;)

Macavity

Alta
13-09-2004, 06:32
I can't help wondering if it would have something to do with the buckskin, though I don't know how exactly. The thing is, you can't create something out of nothing, so there is a source of crystallize material somewhere in this picture. Anything else in the buckskin?

Grizabella
13-09-2004, 10:41
No, nothing in the buckskin. Maybe it's something to do with the tanning chemicals used in the buckskin? I don't know a thing about it and I don't know how crystals form, either.

Astraea
13-09-2004, 10:52
This is so interesting...I wonder if someone in the geology department of a nearby university might be able to explain what's happening.

jema
13-09-2004, 19:07
Just giggling over that soap here.
Oh and isn't Hank a hunk ;-)
(if you like em hairy that is)

As for growing crystals, well, we all did those sugar crystals in school, right? You know got a quarts/leather crystal :-D

http://rockhoundingar.com/pebblepups/growcryst.html
for other ways of growing crystals...

Grizabella
14-09-2004, 00:03
Wow, that's so weird! I went and read about the different kinds of crystals including the man-made quartz crystal and I don't see anything that woud explain why mine is growing. I think maybe they use alum in some dye processes----I'm not sure. Maybe that's it.

lunalafey
14-09-2004, 03:26
The leather might have something to do with it. It might simply be nature's magic. Do you know the history of the buckskin? If it was tanned in a factory- then 'chemicals' where used. If not, then the skin was tanned the 'real' way -with the animals organs & a camp fire. If this is the case then I can see a 'magical' interaction between those things created by mother nature.

Grizabella
14-09-2004, 04:22
I'm not sure of the history of the buckskin, but I think it was commercially tanned. It doesn't look brain tanned because it does have a smooth side and brain tanned doesn't.