I have a crystal that's growing!

Grizabella

Has anyone heard of this? I got this really ugly, gnarly old crystal once and I've had it for about 2 years now, wrapped in buckskin in my tarot bag. The thing is growing! The tiny little nubbins that were on the side of it have grown tremendously into actual clusters and the end that previously looked just broken off now has tons of visible crystals growing on it. I originally got it because it just "called" to me somehow. When I got it home, I could see the image of a crow's foot in the end of it, so I thought it was really neat. Now that it's actually growing, I'm in awe. I didn't know crystals would grow "in captivity" like that.

lunalafey

They do grow with the right conditions.
I put many of my larger crystals in with my potted plants- keeps them in connection with there earthen origions.

TygrEyes

lunalafey said:
They do grow with the right conditions.
I put many of my larger crystals in with my potted plants- keeps them in connection with there earthen origions.

Lunalafey, that's such a tease! Could you elaborate on what the right conditions are? I've never heard of crystals growing "in captivity" either. How common is it? Sounds very interesting & I'll definitely keep tabs on this thread.

HudsonGray

What kind of crystal is it, quartz? Do you have an identification on it?

lunalafey

TygrEyes said:
Lunalafey, that's such a tease! Could you elaborate on what the right conditions are?

I'm not really sure- I know that they need water.....
and the kind I'm talking about are quartz.

Moonbow

Now this is something special - the crystal called to you and now it's growing. Whatever conditions you are keeping it in must be right for it. I have never noticed this with any of mine. Next time I go into my favourite shop - I will ask the owner about this....

Grizabella

It's a clear quartz crystal. I think it came from the crystal mountain in Arkansas. When I say it's a gnarly old crystal, that's just what I mean. It isn't one that probably would have appealed to anyone but me. It's kind of long and bent like it almost snaked its way along through the other crystals it was clustered with. It's only about 2 or 3 inches long. Has marks on it where other crystals came apart from it. When I got it, there were little nubbins here and there like big grains of sand, one larger nubbin was there, but even that wasn't even the size of half a pea. And then on the back end, it was that look of smoothness where it was broken off.

Well, now the tiny nubbins like grains of sand are actual little crystal clusters about a quarter of an inch long. The bigger nubbin has grown from maybe an eighth of an inch long to a half inch long cluster. And the broken end is just totally full of crystals all with identifiable (to the naked eye) points that sparkle in the light. I keep it wrapped in a piece of buckskin in my tarot bag. Since it's been growing I haven't done anything else with it, because it seems like maybe if I did something different, it wouldn't grow anymore. Know what I mean? I don't know about crystals, so that's why I asked here.

Macavity

Extreme efflourescence? (A word I'd been trying to remember)
Alternatively - remember this sort of stuff? :D

Macavity

Grizabella

I don't quite understand what it's got to do with this crystal.

That soap is gross!

September Pixie

efflorescence.
ef·flo·res·cence ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fl-rsns)
n.
Botany. A state or time of flowering; anthesis.

A gradual process of unfolding or developing.
The highest point; the culmination. See Synonyms at bloom1.
Chemistry.
The deposit that results from the process of efflorescing. Also called bloom1.
The process of efflorescing.
A growth of salt crystals on a surface caused by evaporation of salt-laden water.
Pathology. Redness, a rash, or an eruption on the skin.

http://www.dictionary.com/

The soap.. I'm not sure how it relates to the crystal either (or even if it was meant to lol).. lol but it is gross