What kind of stone is this?

OakDragon

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what type of stone this is. I'm new to stones and crystals and I don't think it's one I've ever seen before. It's black and navy blue and somewhat veined. The picture I'm posting makes it look a bit brighter than it does in real life, thanks to the flash on my camera.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• bluestone.jpg
    bluestone.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 132

OakDragon

I may certainly be wrong, of course, but I don't think it's sodalite. Doesn't sodalite tend to be more purple? This one is literally black and navy blue (a very dark blue). I have a couple of pieces of sodalite and they tend to be more reddish, anywhere from a purple to a purple-blue. The stone I have is definitely a blue blue, though very dark. If you don't look at it closely and in good light, it looks almost black all over. Any other possibilities?

(Sodalite is one of my favorites, too, Moonbow*, along with malachite, lapis lazuli, amethyst, and charoite.)

lunalafey

I would say that it is not Sodalite- the vien patterns are not right.
I have been starring at the picture for a while- and now I'm doing some research....be back when I find something.

Moonbow

Hey, I think you have it TygrEyes....

TygrEyes

Check out the 2nd link when I edited. It shows it BEAUTIFULLY!

lunakasha

I agree....nice job TygrEyes!!! :D

I have several small pieces of blue tiger's eye....one of the distinguishing features of this stone (as well as the golden-brown version) is that it has an irridescent quality to it....the bands seem to move when you tilt the stone back and forth.

Blue tiger's eye is a wonderful stone....it is also sometimes referred to as "falcon's eye".

:) Luna

Moonbow

While talking about Tigers eye...

I have been advised by my local stone shop that there is alot of fake stuff on the market and the way to tell real from fake is to hold it up to the light.

If you can see through it, it's not real.

I tried this with mine and my is real :) but he showed me some fake stuff in his shop and you really can see through it!

There! Moonbow's tip of the day! :D