PDA

View Full Version : No IRC chat? Where else can I idle?

Teranar
23-09-2004, 18:05
I used to spend lots of time idleing in IRC.
Now I can't seem to connect. Is the OZ default servers down? Us.oz.org and Aussie.Sydney.oz.org do not seem to be working. When I tried to check Oz.org's website, I couldn't connect and my pings to their site (IP 203.26.192.13 for the record) aren't coming back. Is Oz.Org down? Or is my internet drunk or something? Or am I going insane and need to go live in a padded room reading tarot for the walls?

rabble
23-09-2004, 18:39
I just got on, to alphalink.melbourne.oz.org

jlbvt
27-09-2004, 08:49
If you are in the US, the only one that works (as far as I know) is aussie.oz.org . I haven't been on for at least a week. I just tried it, and I can't connect either. Is everyone in the US having issues with it?

Teranar
01-10-2004, 13:50
I've been getting on with irc.oz.org lately. Someone come join me, Im lonely...

firemaiden
01-10-2004, 14:44
Yes there has been a problem with oz, there was a little message about it on one of the times I got in, saying "yes, we are working on it" and suggesting some alternative servers in. One of them, which I am using now is: waix.perth.oz.org

Ace
01-10-2004, 23:40
Originally posted by Teranar
I've been getting on with irc.oz.org lately. Someone come join me, Im lonely...

What is IRC chat?

Teranar
02-10-2004, 06:44
IRC or internet relay chat, is a series of servers you connect to then join a chat room (Or make your own)
Its like yahoo chat if you've ever been there.
The only difference is you can link to specific rooms via your browser with a javascript page (We have one on AT to go to the IRC room we have) or you can connect with an IRC program like mIRC (Win), IRCLE (Mac), or kirc (Linux).
The only real catch is you have to know which chat room you're going to. For instance, if you downloaded MIRC and connected to Oz.org, then you'd have to choose a chat channel. Ours is #tarot, so you'd type in #tarot and find one Teranar all by his lonesome.
But lately Oz.org's been having the problems, but I've gotten in (Like I am now) with IRC.oz.org.

Hope this helps!
Teranar

Ace
02-10-2004, 07:56
thanks! I have never done chat rooms, I probably would have to have someone show me. I did some chat with my Artist's Way group (via the web site), it was boring in the end, tooooo slow! I should check out Yahoo's tarot forums and see how much better this place is.

jlbvt
02-10-2004, 13:18
Let me get this straight now- it doesn't matter which irc server you go through, if you type in /join tarot it is the same AT chatroom?

firemaiden
03-10-2004, 15:31
it has to be an oz server.