PDA

View Full Version : Quoting question?

Semiramis
01-10-2004, 08:18
This may sound really stupid but how do you quote from another post so that it goes in as the indented paragraph between lines?

OakDragon
01-10-2004, 08:47
Originally posted by Semiramis
This may sound really stupid but how do you quote from another post so that it goes in as the indented paragraph between lines?

Click on the "quote" link in the lower right corner of the post you want to quote, instead of clicking "post reply". It will automatically start a reply with the quote in it and then you can add to it just like with any other reply. As far as I know, if you want to quote a specific portion, you have to do it manually using the QUOTE and /QUOTE tags.

poivre
01-10-2004, 08:52
Originally posted by OakDragon
Click on the "quote" link in the lower right corner of the post you want to quote, instead of clicking "post reply". It will automatically start a reply with the quote in it and then you can add to it just like with any other reply. As far as I know, if you want to quote a specific portion, you have to do it manually using the QUOTE and /QUOTE tags.

Thanks for the thread,
never knew how either,
just checking it out!

Ace
01-10-2004, 10:03
As far as I know, if you want to quote a specific portion, you have to do it manually using the QUOTE and /QUOTE tags.

No you don't. Just hit the quote button. then at the reply screen, edit the quote within the /QUOTE and /QUOTE tags. The result with be a quote of ONLY the parts you want.

OakDragon
01-10-2004, 10:15
Originally posted by Ace
No you don't. Just hit the quote button. then at the reply screen, edit the quote within the /QUOTE and /QUOTE tags. The result with be a quote of ONLY the parts you want.

True, though when I was typing that, I was imagining replying with quoting multiple parts of a post or multiple posts and typing parts or the response in between them. I guess I didn't explain myself clearly enough.

Ace
01-10-2004, 11:27
True[i] though when I was typing that, I was imagining replying with quoting multiple parts of a post or multiple posts [/B] [i]and typing parts or the response in between them. I guess I didn't explain myself clearly enough. [/B]

I think I get it. I copy the codes off one section, and add them into another section if I want to use part of a quote now and part later. I DON'T KNOW how to use TWO DIFFERENT QUOTES from different messages, anyone want to clue me in?

Also: two suggestions: check the vB codes (it is on your forum rules list under the reply part of the reply screen) and/or experiment and hit Preview reply to see if it worked.

Finally, if all else fails: e-mail to somebody, like Solandia! (and stop listening to idiots like me!)

poivre
02-10-2004, 04:00
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ace
[B]I think I get it

Thanks, just checking for the one liners!

Ace
02-10-2004, 04:43
Originally posted by ros
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ace
[B]I think I get it

Thanks, just checking for the one liners!

Getting there: don't forget to put an END code ([/ B][/ QUOTE] ) in as well as a beginning code, and click on preview reply to see if it worked.

poivre
02-10-2004, 04:50
Getting there: don't forget to put an END code ([/ B][/ QUOTE] ) in as well as a beginning code, and click on preview reply to see if it worked. [/QUOTE]

Sorry I'm dah on the computer and maybe a few other things. lol

rabble
02-10-2004, 12:03
As far as I know, if you want to quote a specific portion, you have to do it manually using the QUOTE and /QUOTE tags.

I expected that if I highlighted part of the post I wanted to quote, it would just quote that part. It didn't, so now, I highlight the part I want, press CRTL+C (copy), click Quote,
and then highlight what's in between the tags in my new post, and press CTRL+V (paste) - I'm lazy. Why type it, or manually delete, if the computer will do it for you?