PDA

View Full Version : Runes & Tarot

Fulgour
01-10-2004, 18:57
Major Arcana of the Tarot and the Runes of the Elder Futhark:
A Brief Comparrison (http://ata-tarot.com/reflections/07-01-04/runeintro.htm)

"Maybe the blank Rune was there all along
~ but nobody was ever looking for it."
;)

Rusty Neon
01-10-2004, 21:56
Other sets of Elder Futhark rune / Tarot major arcana associations include:

Haindl; Norse Tarot; Rohrig; Timeless Truth
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23718

Porter
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8391

As well, various authors such as Hajo Banzhaf and Edred Thorson have a set of Elder Futhark rune / Tarot major arcana associations in their respective books.

redhand
10-04-2007, 07:48
I do like the Haindl tarot and find the Norse Tarot interesting, but I personaly use Thorsons correspondences.
Fehu - Tower
Uruz - High Priestess
Thurisaz - Emperor
Ansuz - Death
Raidho - Hierophant
Kenaz - Chariot
Gebo - Lovers
Wunjo - Strength
Hagalaz - World
Nauthiz - Devil
Isa - Hermit
Jera - Fool
Eihwaz - Hanged Man
Perthro - Wheel of Fortune
Algiz - Moon
Sowilo - Sun
Tiwaz - Justice
Berkano - Empress
Ehwaz - Lovers
Mannaz - Magician
Laguz - Star
Ingwaz - Judgement
Dagaz - Temperance
Othala - Moon

Rede Seeker
11-04-2007, 10:58
I have not had the success with Rune readings that I have now when I incorporated the Blum-Blank Rune. If your Rune Theology says that a Rune has a shape, a meaning, a number, and a sound, then there is no blank Rune because the blank Rune has no sound (I suppose that could be considered the sound of silence - I don't know if the original Rune Masters considered silence a sound though).

As for the blank Rune always being there - that is true, as anyone who has made their own Rune set can attest. When the Rune worker creates her/his own set of Runes, she/he begins with the blank tile upon which the Mystery is engraved.

redhand
11-04-2007, 17:33
I think I see where you are coming from Rede Seeker, but I feel drawn more towards the traditional methods, and don't use a blank tile!

job
11-04-2007, 17:38
Here's me wanting to purchase some Runes and this thread pops up :). I like the association with the tarot.
Food for thought.

caridwen
14-04-2007, 17:51
I really dont' think tarot and runes work well together at all! I'm using the Haindl at the moment and really cannot work out why runes are incorporated into this deck. I find them a hindrance to the reading as I have my own idea of what the runes mean and they do not tally with the ones by the deck creator. I'm begining to find them irritating.

The lists I have seen that tally runes and tarot together seem to be random and somehow personal to the person who drew them up. I've never seen two lists the same.

redhand
27-04-2007, 08:48
I agree with you Caridwen, about the Haindl deck. I really like the art work in the Haindl deck, but I also don't agree with the Rune correspondences. This could be a personal choice. I use Thorssons correspondences because they seem to fit better....at least for me!