Tarot and the Internet

Ace

I am seeing a lot of interps of tarot as internet communication. Would some of you explain that to me? I just saw this week: 7 of swords and 8 of wands as internet. Where are people GETTING this from? (I just can't see it!) :confused:

Eco74

I'm guessing you're referring to "internet-cards", the ones that can be interpreted as something related to the internet in readings?
If not, correct me. Til then I'll ramble a bit. ;)

The 7 of Swords for starters.
The swords being an air-element and indicating communication while the 7 "steals away" can well indicate "protected communication" such as can be seen all over the internet. People with login-names and shielded by an anonymity not found in daily life.

The 8 of Wands then.
The wands are for action, the 8 for speed. Speeding events, and the card many times depicting the wands soaring through the air can indicate fast communication and happenings that seem to soar through the air at a nearly incomprehensible speed. The internet seems close to mind.

There are more ofcourse and since the Tarot depicts whatever it is we have around us, why not the internet? Or cars (that were certainly not around when the Tarot started forming) or planes or long travels around the world (that certainly were scarce at best back then).
Even the oldest deck can depict things we have around us in this day and age on a daily basis. Atleast that's how I see it...

Ace

Thanks Eco74, that is what I want. I did finally see the Internet in one card today but it was during a reading, and now I can't remember which card it was! It may have been the World, which in the WorldTree Tarot is networking or connections. (it depicts circle of people raising a cone of power)

SittingIdiot

Another One!

Lee Burnstein ("Gay Tarot") images the SIX OF SWORDS as a young man seated in front of his computer screen (not unlike us at this very moment), and that journeys begin with surfing, high spped communication, traveling virtually, etc.

P.S., I am now up to 5 or 6 postings; I should just say, "Hi!" but end up writing too much, too thoughtfully, and it takes a long time for me to just 'reply' to anything.

Chronata

For me, the Page of Swords has sort of become the "internet card" for me.

I think because it always represented a communicator, or networker to me.

Often one that gets overburdened or loses their network due to miscommunication...which happens quite a bit via the internet.

But the airy page, full of ideas, and rants and a need to express themself becomes sort of my poster child for internet forums, chat rooms and the like.

In other, different visual decks...it depends on the symbols of the card...anything with a spider, for instance, automatically makes me think of the internet (the web)

Whiteroom

When I do tarot I've only ever seen the internet with the 4 cups as this card can symbol over indulgence and as some of us may know we all can over indulge in the net now and then.
In my new tarot cards (iamone) the Changer (Magician) relates to the internet as this card has a saying Iam master of communication

Alta

The interent can be seen as creative, and hence some wands, esp the 5 of wands but also the 8. It can be seen as communication but sometimes painful communication (3), slowed down (2), dishonesty abounds (5 and 7) etc.

Life flows on the internet, but just in some aspects.

The internet itself I would be more likely to see in the wands suit, though censorship etc could be King of swords. Hard to pin one down specifically and say 'that's the internet', because in some ways it is another carrier of human life energy.

MeeWah

I occasionally see certain cards as related to the internet. & generally of the intuitive takes.

One of the earliest associations made with a Tarot card & the internet was Knight-Swords, & more than once. I 'saw' a seated male figure facing a computer monitor, typing quickly. Communication, action, movement.

Since then, almost all the Swords' cards from Ace to 10; & the court cards with exception of Queen & King--though that does not mean either could not apply.

Various Wands including 2, 5, 7 & 8-Wands. Page-Wands & King-Wands both upright & reversed (reversed indicated misrepresentation &/or less than forthright both online & offline).

Of the Major Arcana: 0-The Fool; 9-The Hermit; 10-Wheel of Fortune; 18-The Moon; 21-The World.

Those particular associations perceived according to the reading context & the moment of the reading.

To me, the internet a medium capable of conveying energetic patterns. & for that reason, a 'perfect' conductor. Sort of a transporter a la Star Trek. The internet an electronic 'life form', & humans an energetic life form discernible by vibrations, heartbeat/pulse, intent, emotions. Though the last may be related to the empathic, it contributes to the impressions & also communicable via internet.