Naming the Courts

Little Baron

Hopefully, you won't fall off of your chairs when you read this post.

At the moment, I am reading 'Understanding the Tarot Court' by Mary K. Greer and Tom Little.

I used this book with the Grimaud before. I thought that the Marseille cards would be very difficult to pull personality from but I was very wrong; I still think of them now and they are full of personality and one court group I know the best from all of my decks.

The other deck's court that stand out is the 'Phantasmagoric' court. Of course, it is not hard to confuse the folks from the Phantasmagoric amongst each other as physically, they are all so different and are brimming with life anf personality. Also, as a credit to Cameron (the decks designer), remembering them is made a little easier by the fact that they all have their own names. 'The Knight of Swords' becomes 'Tom Tom'. There is Madame Lola, Sebastian and Fabian, to name a few.

I was just thinking ... this is where you laugh at me ... in studing the 'Ancient Italian' as I am now, would it not help to give them names? Obviously, when reading for others, I wouldn't say 'you have drawn Ann, the 'Regina Di Coppe' (Queen of Cups), but I thought that if I gave them names that related to people that I have met or know of, maybe it would help me to get to know them when they pop up in my tarot court studies.

For example, the 'Regina Di Spade' (Queen of Swords) shows the independence, efficiency, strength and sometimes cold and stubborness of my friend, Jackie. As I look at this card now, I can even see elements of my good friend's physicality in that of the queen. Therefore, I could name this woman as 'Jaqueline'. The Queen of Cups from the 'Grimaud' often reminds me of my mother - again, the caring and receptive side, along with the slightly nervous posture of this woman from the Grimaud is very much like my own mum. The pretty but slightly dopey 'Knight of Cups' from the Grimaud, I likened to my friend Sam in a previous court card thread - my friend Sam is very handsome, enigmatic, charming, but at times, can lack the maturity of the king.

In decks such as the 'Ancient Italian', the 'Soprafino' and many of the Marseilles and early decks do look alike, so I was wondering if actually naming them may help my remembering them each time that they arise.

What does anyone here think???????

Yabs (a possible Knight of Wands)

Little Baron

An example -

Regina Di Coppe - Charlotte-Ann
Lady Lorelei, in her book ‘Tarot Life Planner’, likens the Queen to the mother. I have also heard of her connected to the Empress card. She is receptive to peoples needs and gives as much as she can - nurturing, parental, emotional, tender, caring, accepting. I always see this card as my mother (Shirley-Ann) and I see the Empress in many decks as Charlotte, so it seems fitting to combine the names and give this Queen both of their personalities. Looking at Charlotte-Ann, there is a warmth in her eyes and I can see both my mother and my friend in her. Both of them have been very supportive to me in hard times and have offered good advice and looked after me.

Just by naming this queen, I am looking at her differently than I am when I look at the other courts of the Ancient Italian, whom I feel I have not been introduced to yet. Her eyes really engage me. I don't see her completely as the her two namesakes but an air of them both hang around her. It is a nice feeling.

Attachments

• charlotte-ann.jpg
    charlotte-ann.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 115

April

I think it's a fine idea. I've come across many exercises where you relate the court cards to people in your own life. I think that I would probably keep those names to myself though. First, it probably won't mean anything to the person you're reading for. Second, I could foresee problems if you were reading for me and I thought I knew Ann and I disagreed with you about her personality. Third, you might find that you want to change the names somewhere down the road if you meet someone who fits better.

Peace,
April

Little Baron

Thanks April. I won't mention the names to anybody else. It is just a way of getting to know them, since in this deck, a lot of the courts do look alike. If I can relate to them more as people, I thought it might be easier. As I look at 'Charlotte-Ann' now, she is beginning to form her own personality and will do as I work with her. Because the people I named her after are very similar to the characteristics of this queen (of course, they have other sides as well), it just helps me remember the essense of her personality - or at least, the part that relates to her suit and rank.

Just wondering how I am going to name the 'King of Swords' 'Karen', hehehe.

Yabs

lunakasha

Yaboot said:
Just wondering how I am going to name the 'King of Swords' 'Karen', hehehe.

Who....ME??? King of Swords??? Naaaah.....:p LOL!!!!

But seriously Yabs....I think this is an excellent idea, and I have read in certain books (maybe even MK Greer's) that it is helpful to associate the courts with people you know. Makes sense to me, although I have never tried it with various decks, as you are doing. Maybe I should though....the courts always give me a MAJOR headache....for example, even if I am able to associate them with actual people I know, then I still need to determine whether the court represents an actual PERSON in the reading or an aspect of the querent's personality.....see what I mean??? ;)

:) Luna

Little Baron

lunakasha said:
Who....ME??? King of Swords??? Naaaah.....:p LOL!!!!

Hehehe. I don't see you as the 'King of Swords' Luna. But I do have another friend called Karen who could either be the King or Queen of that suit. I just looked at the Queen in this deck and it fits her well. There is a strong sense of responsibility in my other friend Karen; she is very strong, at home and at work, and can often come across as insensitive and sometimes cold. The Queen here fits her well because she faintly touches her heart. It is almost as if she is showing that she can be tender and loving (Karen is a great mother of twins), even if sometimes she holds that sword up like a barrier and doesn't let many people through.

When she comes into a reading, I can obviously see that the querant could be this queen (have some characteristics of Karen) or could be working with or against a woman or man that is similar to her. It could also mean that maybe someone needs to adopt these characteristics to make themselves heard or on the reverse side of things, that sword is getting in the way of them actually receiving useful and important messages. Maybe it is trying to find a balance between the sword and the heart, which I think is often an issue for my friend.

All hail 'Queen Karen'!!!

Yabs

Nevada

I haven't done this, but I like the idea. I tend to name "things". Our truck has a name, but already had it on a little metal plate when we bought it.

If naming a truck makes sense, then why not the personalities we see in the court cards? I will likely take a look at my court cards as I use them now and think about names.

So, you give them different names depending on which deck you're using--do I understand that right?

I especially find the Thoth and Crystal Tarot courts to have distinct personalities.

Nevada

Little Baron

The Phantasmagoric already had names and I think that that was what got me started on this. Knowing that 'Tom Tom', the Knight of Swords was a mischievous little guy and a little about his background within the Phantasmagoric Theatre helped me a lot to get the essence of his personality when reading. He is naughty but it also allowed me to try and understand why; to flip the coin and often feel sensitive towards him.

I havn't named cards from any other deck but when using the Grimaud, I could see simularities between the characters and people I know. Sometimes, people that I don't know show themselves in the courts. Even though I named the 'Regina Di Spade' 'Karen', I could also see 'Madonna' and her public persona within the figure. I feel sensitive to the queen because I can understand from both of those people the strengths and weeknesses that they both have and how they can be negatively perceived as well as favourably.

Because this deck is a new one to me, I just thought that naming them would be a way of introducing myself to the court. They woulod be more like 'friends' than just nameless figures that give me that 'headache' that Luna mentioned.

The Queen of Cups and Queen of Swords were quite easy as the people they have been named after came straight to mind but looking at the other two queens, I think that a little more research and time spent with the cards is needed as names do not flow quite so easily with them.

Even if it is something that is only part of my introductory studies with the 'Ancient Italian', I think that it will help me get to know the deck, even if the names fall away further into the journey. It is like the first layer of a painting; more layers, I am sure will build over it, until hopefully, I will have a good idea and understanding of each court figure. I am looking forward to seeing how they react and interact to each other. Charlotte-Ann already has her back turned to Queen-Karen, hehe.

Yabs

lunakasha

Yaboot said:
Hehehe. I don't see you as the 'King of Swords' Luna. But I do have another friend called Karen who could either be the King or Queen of that suit.

Hehehehe!!!! :p

I didn't think you were talking about me....just being a smart-***!!! :D:D:D

I think I am going to try this exercise with a specific deck and see what/who I come up with....I do tend to associate certain courts with people I know, but some of them are tricky, especially the pages, or determining if a male fits more into the "knight" or "king" role....

:) Queen Luna

Little Baron

Hey Queen Luna

I have named three this evening; the third being 'Samuel', the 'Knight of Cups'. Let me know how it goes if you do this exercise. Would be very interested to know.

Best wishes and nite nite Queenie!

Yabs (off to his royal bed)