PDA

View Full Version : Search Function

_N_
03-11-2004, 13:29
OK, perhaps I'm having a brain dead approach to the search function, but I can't really seem to get much use out of it. No matter how I word my searches, using the AND, OR, and all that happy stuff, I inevitably end up with so many hundreds of "hits" that I could easily spend several hours trying to find what I am looking for.
Example - I want to find information on the Tarot of the Cat People. I try first using Cat AND People, no dice, so I try using the whole name with AND between every word, yeah, right, thousands of hits.
So, the point is, am I somehow doing something wrong, or does this search function not work as I am used to search working? Is there any way that you can add the option to "Search for EXACT phrase"? In other words, if I type in the full name, or part of it, I'll ONLY get back threads where that EXACT name appears, not ten thousand threads that have the word Cat somewhere in the first paragraph and People somewhere in the second.
And if this is something that is going to be addressed by the site overhaul, forgive me, I'm just a little frustrated after a long day today ;) (Plus I hate starting a new thread if I don't have to).

N

WolfyJames
04-11-2004, 04:15
You're not the only one who hates the search function, it barely functions. I hate making searches myself and the site is very big. My hope is that with the forum upgrade the search function will work correctly.

Flavio
04-11-2004, 07:52
To narrow your search you can select in the "Search Forum" what forum is more likely to contain the information you're looking for, so in your example for the Tarot of the Cat People select to search only on "Tarot Decks" or maybe "Using Tarot Cards", that must help you reduce the results and get more findings according to your needs.

_N_
04-11-2004, 09:10
I did try that but the results weren't much more useful - I still think it would be best if you could search for an exact phrase match.

N

tmgrl2
04-11-2004, 11:03
I put the phrase in quotes: "The Tarot of the Cat People"

I used Alta Vista se and it gave me these links:

http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=wrx&q=%22The+Tarot+of+the+Cat+People%22&kgs=1&kls=0

At least one of them takes you back to AT.

Not sure what you are looking for re the deck.

I sometimes use wild card symbols:

"*Cat People*" so it picks up things before and after those words.

But quotes around an exact phrase words best for me. Sometimes, when I want to find something at AT, I go to Alta Vista, put in the phrase in quotes and it gives me the AT link I want. LOL It works.

terri

Abrac
23-09-2006, 23:02
I have been going nuts trying to get the search function to find a particular "phrase." Then I found this thread. tmgrl2, that Alta Vista thing is a stroke of genius. I used Google, but got the same result! :)