PDA

View Full Version : Editing posts. SOS!!!!

Diana
06-11-2004, 20:38
Solandia: The fact that we cannot edit our posts anymore after five minutes is already causing a headache. For instance, in our Marseilles Reading Circle, the person who is organising the readings (up to now, it's been Charming Pixie), updates regularly the post where the list of people who are taking part in the particular circle.

I also had a problem when I made a post... realised only a few minutes later that I had left out a very important sentence.... so my post doesn't make sense. So I had to make a special post after that.... which is on the next page.... and now my first post looks really dreadful and people may get the wrong impressions.

Also, it's such a shame if someone says something they seriously regret (out of anger or something) that they cannot go back and change their words before things get out of hand. This may cause unnecessary tension and possibly embarrassment for some people. We will have to each time contact a moderator to make changes to our posts. :(

Also, I sometimes go and edit my posts purely for spelling and typo errors. I know I'm not the only one. How easy it is to write "their" instead of "there"... but it's a pity not to be able to change this, even if one notices a week or two later.

I feel kind of disempowered here. It's not a comfortable feeling not to be able to control one's own posts.

Osher
06-11-2004, 20:52
I agree with everything Diana said, and at least I know now why I can't edit a post I did a little earlier today. Maybe a 48 hour limit would be better? In the heat of a thread, one can accidently say something one later regrets, or rather, would tone down.

Anna
06-11-2004, 20:56
A 48 hour limit would be unsuitable for the Marseille reading circle. I am still needing to edit a reading list that I posted over a week ago to add an updated link.

Besides that, there have been occassions where I have changed my mind about something I have written weeks and months later.

WolfyJames
06-11-2004, 21:11
It would be unsuitable too everywhere in the board. I'm thinking as well about my wishlist and the list of the decks I own, I often change these lists. I'm thinking too about the Index thread I have made about all the threads in the Gothic Tarot by Vargo Study Group Forum. I need to edit this thread often too.

Alta
06-11-2004, 21:15
Good points. I also update my 'Decks' list and have for a long time.

Diana
06-11-2004, 21:20
I would just like to add that Moderators are going to be drowned in requests from people to edit their posts.

Solandia
06-11-2004, 21:21
There is currently a five minute limit for post editing, which I will re-consider, as I hadn't thought about the needs of study groups.

For the Tarot Wishlist and deck lists, please note the new profile fields at the bottom of the Edit Profile (http://www.tarotforum.net/profile.php?do=editprofile) page.

~ Solandia

full deck
06-11-2004, 21:26
I would have to agree with increasing the time allowed for editing. Usually, when I post, I keep coming back to read and edit online instead of working my posts up beforehand. It is not unheard of for me to edit 5-8 times, thus if I only had 5 minutes, I would have to work it all out before I post.

I do like the new features though. It's very nice :-)

spoonbender
06-11-2004, 22:10
I agree with everything that was said here. I would find it REALLY uncomfortable if I wasn't able to edit my posts. Also, there are members on this Forum from all over the world. English isn't my native language, so I often make spelling mistakes - it would be a real shame if I couldn't correct those.

Spoon

Alta
06-11-2004, 22:11
For the Tarot Wishlist and deck lists, please note the new profile fields at the bottom of the Edit Profile (http://www.tarotforum.net/profile.php?do=editprofile) page.Yes, and that's nice and I will use it. But I like to read other people's lists to.

OakDragon
06-11-2004, 22:16
Why is there a time limit to editing a post at all?

Astraea
07-11-2004, 00:28
The time limit on editing bothers me, too. I understand the reasoning behind it, but it is a practical problem for many of us who notice misspellings, misstatements, etc., often hours after the fact and don't wish to create entire new posts to correct errors and make clarifications.

Diana
07-11-2004, 01:00
I also understand the rationale behind this. But the disadvantages way outweigh the advantages.

I'm really quite upset about how my post in the Hermit and Lantern thread sounds for instance, because I couldn't add in the sentence that I forgot. My post just doesn't say what it WANTED to say and as it's the main post, my correction further down the thread doesn't have much impact and makes for a very chopped-up thread. The only reason I hadn't noticed my mistake was because the cat needed food and then the telephone rang and I saw it too late. Also, sometimes our old computer that is dying blocks and I have to reboot it... that can take a long time too.

My particular problem I will solve by PMing jmd and asking him to edit it for me.

But this surely cannot be a long-term solution.

Little Baron
07-11-2004, 01:18
Didn't realise that there was a time limit on editing but I echo everything that Diana said in her first post. There has been times when I have posted something and it was a matter of hours later when I re-read and realised that what I had put could have been taken differently by others than I had intended - something may have sounded too strong or the tone could be taken offensively when it was not intended to be. Thankfully, the option to go back and alter my text was there to avoid offense in any way. Also, I type pretty fast and often make errors that do look awful when re-read. It is nice to go back and adjust them later. Often, I post before I go to sleep or just before going out, as examples, so I am in a rush and errors will be made. It is horrible to look back at a post and know that everyone sees it in a way that was not intended.

Apologies for these little niggles about one thing or another; like everyone else, I do appreciate the work spent on improving this site.

Best wishes

Yabs

Osher
07-11-2004, 02:38
Isn't it nice to have everyone agree on something! :D

Diana
07-11-2004, 05:09
Isn't it nice to have everyone agree on something! :D

It is lovely. :)

I'm very concerned that a time-limit will still be imposed. A week, a month, or whatever.

My words that I post on these boards are mine and I want to be able to do with them as I see fit. Or a moderator can delete them if I have bypassed the forum guidelines.

The idea of not being able to edit my posts makes me shudder. I know it is the case on a number of boards, but I don't post in those.

I think Freedom is a very important word. And has many ramifications.

I'm not the only one who is worried that there may be a time-limit. That is why I am making this post.

tmgrl2
07-11-2004, 05:17
I totally miss the editing option as it was.

I read and reread and preview my posts, then they go up and it might be that evening that I catch something glaringly in error ...either in spelling or grammar. This really goes against my grain and I feel a strong need to "fix" the errors. Most of my edits are of this nature.

The English teacher in me really balks at the fact that I can't go back and edit my own words....

I know there were reasons for the limit, but somehow I feel the baby got thrown out with the bath water on the editing time limit.

terri

Astraea
07-11-2004, 05:17
I'm very concerned that a time-limit will still be imposed. A week, a month, or whatever.

My words that I post on these boards are mine and I want to be able to do with them as I see fit. Or a moderator can delete them if I have bypassed the forum guidelines.

The idea of not being able to edit my posts makes me shudder. I know it is the case on a number of boards, but I don't post in those...I'm not the only one who is worried that there may be a time-limit. That is why I am making this post.
I completely agree with you. The editing limitation makes me panic and feel like a child being slapped for not "getting it right" the first time.

firemaiden
07-11-2004, 05:18
I too like to edit my posts - a lot. I almost never post something without editing it at least twice. When I post something long, like a reading -- after it goes up, even though I have checked it very thoroughly before with the preview post option, I still find glaring typos that embarrass the pants off me.

ON the other hand, if someone were to get upset and decide to delete all their previous posts (as Diana confessed she once wanted to do) (by editing and removing content) that would be a great loss to the board.

Maybe we could have the freedom to edit, but solemnly swear on the head of XIII that we will not Do Horrible Things (whatever those would be)

Cerulean
07-11-2004, 05:21
I had been working on finding links and alternatives and ISBN numbers for those who would like to buy the Jubilee Dali or one of the other Dali Tarot alternatives as fast as I could... and discovered that I could not rearrange or add to that listing because the time limit of five minutes had passed.

I really try to be mindful not everyone here has the alternatives I post from the U.S. and so I'll be looking at other buying choices, which takes some time...

Even though I try to be careful, to look for typos and such, sometimes I cannot post at leisure and have to rapidly type a thought or historical thread note. It may take me until later to add links or edit the ideas to make a little more sense. Especially if there is an Italian piece that might be a pivotal resource, but needs translation or I find a better way to phrase it.

While I could post a draft in personal email and edit that, then paste a finished copy in a thread, many times I've not added to threads because I just don't have that time.

I do enjoy the forum upgrade improvements. I appreciate there might be some very good reasons behind it that I just don't see at the moment. If Solandia and the moderators believe it is the right thing to do to have the five minute limit, I'll be able to adjust.

Regards,

Cerulean

Astraea
07-11-2004, 05:26
...not only is there a limit to the time elapsed between posting and editing, but the edits, themselves, have to be made within five minutes or the whole task is aborted. This is just awful.

Sulis
07-11-2004, 05:31
I like editing my posts too.

We all agree - I'm sure Solandia will see this and act - after all, it's not often that we all agree :)

I also want to be able to send PMs to my buddies, forward pms to my buddies or to anyone else and I want my signature to be visible without me having to remember to tick a box - not really moaning though - I'm sure all these things will get sorted in the next week or so.

Love

Sulis xx

baba-prague
07-11-2004, 06:07
Well, one more person here who loves the new site (congratulations and thanks) but wants to be able to go on editing! Many, many times I've read a post a day later and realised it's incoherent and misspelled - I can save my blushes and make it understandable by editing.

I KNOW we should all make sure our post are correct instead of relying on editing - but in real life that can be difficult.

I also agree totally that one can say things and then regret them - the poor moderators will be deluged with requests for editing in that kind of situation.

Gerbear
07-11-2004, 06:26
If we can't edit our deck lists, are we supposed to add posts for each additional deck? I enjoy having my list in one place. I know others who watch some of the lists, such as mine, and cheer on each addition. If our list has to be spread over several posts, and consequently, several pages, then it's usefulness is decreased. I use the Tarot Organizer, and an Excel spreadsheet to track my collection, but find it useful to also have it here on AT. Perhaps, my list must be frozen at it's present count, and anyone interested can pm me to find out new additions. Maybe this is too small an issue, but collectors, at least some of them are proud of their collections, and if they choose to list, without the ability to add, then there might as well be no lists.

I think the new design and features are an improvement, but the time limit dismays me.

punchinella
07-11-2004, 06:50
--Just want to add my two cents that time-sensitive editing is dreadful, simply dreadful. It makes me feel totally out of control. And, as Diana has pointed out, my own words should belong to me, should they not? If the limitation on editing represents an attempt to make discussion here more accurately resemble speech itself . . . well, posting in print is not the same thing as spontaneous speaking. We are expressing ourselves via the medium of written language, and that means that our words don't vanish moments after we have spoken them, as oral words do. On this forum, our words stay in evidence long, long after we come up with them. I am represented, as an individual, by my posts. Not to be able to manipulate the way I am represented frightens me. Misrepresentation in such a scenario is practically a given.

Myrrha
07-11-2004, 07:20
Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for having a time limit on editing? Others posting have said they understand the reason so I've been trying to think of what a possible reason could be, and I can't think of anything.

Forum looks amazing by the way.

---Myrrha

Astraea
07-11-2004, 08:20
In one of my earlier posts (above), I said that I could understand the reason for an editing limitation, and what I was thinking when I wrote that is that someone might present a point of view (for example) to which others would respond, and then the original poster might alter what he/she said in such a way that subsequent posts made no sense. But in thinking some more about the issue, I rescind what I said as illogical -- a limitation in terms of time would have very little effect on such things. Also, there is a 5-minute limit on editing: if an edit take longer than 5 minutes to make, one is barred from uploading it.

I can only envisage nightmares for the moderators as a result of this limitation, as Diana stated earlier. I frequently make errors in grammar and spelling which I catch only hours later (despite looking at a preview version of the post first), and the inability to correct those -- as well as to clarify content in my posts, or to make relevant additions or subtractions to the text -- is profoundly disturbing to me. It's really the only thing that bothers me about the forum upgrade, which I think is wonderful overall -- but I see this as a very significant drawback, indeed.

catti
07-11-2004, 09:12
i just entered a post in trading and wanted to update the url to look at the deck i have to offer. thought i could just edit it in.

i liked editing my post , because sometimes when i read them later i could see how to say something clearer....or i would go back and edit in an observation that out of the post might not have been sufficient enough to post a reply. or would have gotten lost in the shuffle of chronology of the replies...

can we get editing back?

otherwise i think the changes are very positive and just add to a beauty and user friendly site that i love, thanks to solandia for all the dedicated attention.

oh-oh better preview my post for typos! ;-)

Moongold
07-11-2004, 09:21
I have some visual impairment and frequently make "typos" which I may not see in an immediate edit. Must get some new reading glasses!

If I have something significant and serious to say I try to write it in Word first and then edit for accuracy but sometimes I miss things. It is good to be able to go back and edit.

Having said that, I remember last year complaints being made about someone editing posts. LOL. It was ME (I?) who was the subject of the complaint . Most of the editing was around "typos" but some was to with clarifying a point of view that might have been given in a moment of high feeling. There are few of us who have not done this at some time or other.

Perhaps the time limit on editing might slow us all down a little and make us more thoughtful about what we write. Although there is a moratorium on political threads people still become impassioned about other things. If we all know the time restrictions the consequence of care could be quite helpful.

The Preview Post feature in this upgrade is much better as well and makes it a lot easier to correct posts.

Everything is geared to speed and immediate responses these days. Emails and mobile phones have changed the pace of our lives for ever. If you are a trainer you would know that the concentration span of the average person is down to less than 10 minutes - the time between TV ads.

Anything that slows us down and makes us more thoughtful can't be all bad. :)

Moongold

OakDragon
07-11-2004, 09:29
What you say makes good sense, Moongold, but, you see,... umm.. well... hmmm. Maybe I'll have to slow down and think about this for awhile. ;) Perhaps the limit (or at least having one) is a good idea after all.

Shalott
07-11-2004, 09:43
Personally, it may be NICE to slow down, but I, like many ppl, simply don't have the time more often than not. I eat cereal bars in my car on the way to work. I have a 100 Mbps cable modem and can barely stand less. I live off of microwaveable or prepared foods. I just don't have time to always be 100% careful with my spelling, grammar or clarity. I post when I'm exahusted, I post when I'm shaky (like right now), I post when I haven't had time to trim my nails, and I have already had to go back in and change a ton of mis-typed "o"s which should have been "i"s. This is the beauty of the internet, nobody can see that you haven't fixed your hair yet, but now, if we have to be 100% all the time, the problems will far outweigh the benefits (which I honestly am having trouble seeing any of at the moment).

Aura Wolf
07-11-2004, 09:47
Just wanted to say that I also agree! I didn't realize there's a time limit now but I wish there wasn't. I often have to go back and edit my posts because of sentences that don't make sense or something that needs to be added. There's also the problem with the study groups, although I don't participate in them. Also, in the Tarot Trading forum, members (including myself now) often edit their original posts for decks that are available and trade progress, and this also goes for the "What Tarot Decks Do You Own" thread, where we are SUPPOSED to edit our original posts instead of adding more. The unlimited editing option is much more convenient for people and makes things a lot less confusing, and I agree that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. I think in the end this is just going to cause a lot of confusion and other problems among members, as well as increase the post count for the forum as people will have to add new posts where they would normally just go and edit. I just don't see why there should be a time limit at all, and I hope we can get our old editing option back!

jmd
07-11-2004, 09:59
Let us remember that Solandia is fixing the numerous glitches with the transition to this entirely new version of the software... and she did write thatThere is currently a five minute limit for post editing, which I will re-consider, as I hadn't thought about the needs of study groups.I believe there are other default settings which have not only changed from what we are used to, but will also be slowly improved with time.

It is of course useful for each of us to be able to correct and clarify a post and the way it is expressed, and at times, within that very post, rather than as an addition.

lunakasha
07-11-2004, 10:01
Just adding my voice to the others here, asking that our editing priviledges be restored....for all of the reasons stated already. It just makes sense that we should be able to edit our own posts....and it is already creating problems within the study threads.

I also would like my signature to appear without having to check a box.

Other than that....the new forum looks GREAT and I am enjoying getting familiar with all of the new features...hopefully, if we can get our editing back, most everyone will be happy. ;)

:) Luna

Ace
07-11-2004, 10:06
I am impressed at the feelings people have about the edit feature change! I thought it was a good idea: people can't go back and change a post so that following replies now don't make sense. If you are worried about typo's it helps to remember to use post preview and see how it will look posted BEFORE you post.

But I can see the inconvenience for list making. I am on the fence on this one.

Myrrha
07-11-2004, 10:42
[QUOTE=Ace people can't go back and change a post so that following replies now don't make sense. [/QUOTE]

But people don't tend to do that. Especially not here. This is not one of those forums where people spout contentious nonsense and attack each other's posts left and right.

Also, if people are trying to make a point that depends upon a nuance of what someone said in a previous post they can use the quote feature as I just did. Any change you make to your original post will not affect the quote.

--Myrrha

Solandia
07-11-2004, 10:55
Thanks for the feedback. The time limit was placed to help preserve thread integrity and keep all of our threads in as readable and coherent condition as possible.

However, as mentioned, there are a number of disadvantages with the current implementation. I've temporarily removed the time limit on editing posts while I work out various bugs and upgrade issues and can properly consider it.

~ Solandia

Astraea
07-11-2004, 11:03
Thank you, Solandia.

Moongold
07-11-2004, 11:34
Personally, it may be NICE to slow down, but I, like many ppl, simply don't have the time more often than not. I eat cereal bars in my car on the way to work. I have a 100 Mbps cable modem and can barely stand less. I live off of microwaveable or prepared foods. I just don't have time to always be 100% careful with my spelling, grammar or clarity. I post when I'm exahusted, I post when I'm shaky (like right now), I post when I haven't had time to trim my nails, and I have already had to go back in and change a ton of mis-typed "o"s which should have been "i"s. This is the beauty of the internet, nobody can see that you haven't fixed your hair yet, but now, if we have to be 100% all the time, the problems will far outweigh the benefits (which I honestly am having trouble seeing any of at the moment).

Ah Shalott ~

Are you a FirePerson? :D

We are all Victims of PHIA (Post Haste Information Age) syndrome. Note the PHIA/Fire connection.

Many blessings ~

Moongold

fyreflye
07-11-2004, 12:51
I have a Virgo Moon. I always need to edit and re-edit ;)

Shalott
07-11-2004, 12:59
Ah Shalott ~

Are you a FirePerson? :D

We are all Victims of PHIA (Post Haste Information Age) syndrome. Note the PHIA/Fire connection.

Many blessings ~

Moongold

Leo Rising! (Is that what you were getting at?) More of an extreme Type B personality forced to try to live in an extreme Type A world...and not doing that great with it!

Thank you Solandia!

Moongold
07-11-2004, 13:03
Leo Rising! (Is that what you were getting at?) More of an extreme Type B personality forced to try to live in an extreme Type A world...and not doing that great with it!

Thank you Solandia!

Well...... Leo's a Fire sign. sure thing. The PHIA wins again :D

Diana
07-11-2004, 16:39
I hope this issue will be solved soon. I even dreamt about it. :( I don't even feel like posting anything except fluffy-bunny stuff until I know what the outcome will be.

Sulis
07-11-2004, 19:59
originally posted by Solandia
I've temporarily removed the time limit on editing posts while I work out various bugs and upgrade issues and can properly consider it.

I think Solandia's sorted it.

Love

Sulis xx

Diana
07-11-2004, 20:32
I think Solandia's sorted it.

Love

Sulis xx

Hooray! Now my Hermit and Lantern posts actually makes sense. :) :) :) :) :)

And jmd (and other moderators) will not be bugged by me every second couple of hours or so to correct my syntax and spelling errors which I never notice at the time of writing (and I do not have an English spell-check on my computer, even if I did take the time to write my posts in Word before posting them which would be a pain in the neck.)

tmgrl2
08-11-2004, 02:45
Thank you so much, Solandia!!

I hope we keep the no limit editing ...

I went back to add another post to a thread from yesterday and saw that I had spelled my name incorrectly. It's just a nuisance to not be able to fix at least grammar and spelling.

As far as changing what we have said within a post, I have gone back a day later and, while, no one had commented on the "tone" of my words, I felt that perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough and hoped that no one had found offense in what I said. So, occasionally, I rewrite a word or phrase so that it better expresses my intent
in as kind a fashion as possible.

This latter option in itself, can help all of us become more sensitive to our choices of words and the "turns of a phrase." As I said, at school, I have children put away something they have drafted, then revisit it a day or two later. We call it "letting the draft" cook. Good writers rely on good editing whether it is from a re-read of their own material or from input from another reader and final drafts often go through multiple edits before the intent of the author is finally expressed.

In fact, at times, I have received a gentle reminder via a PM that perhaps the way I said something may be seen or taken differently from what I intended by my own choice of words. I was so grateful I could go back and "re-say"what I did.

For the few who may abuse this privilege of editing, I feel we must not make the majority suffer.

Again, thank you, Solandia....You can't begin to know the gift you have given thousands with AT. Also, a great big thank you to the moddies who put in countless hours of vigilence to make this a safe and loving community.

Blessings,

terri

Osher
08-11-2004, 05:11
I'm a Gemini, I argue with myself!

Jewel-ry
08-11-2004, 06:11
Just came here to add my five cents worth and found its all been said.

I am mostly impressed by the update but feel that editing posts should not be tampered with (pardon the pun ;)).

~

DollieAnna
08-11-2004, 07:04
Also, it's such a shame if someone says something they seriously regret (out of anger or something) that they cannot go back and change their words before things get out of hand. This may cause unnecessary tension and possibly embarrassment for some people. We will have to each time contact a moderator to make changes to our posts. :(

It could be a positive thing...Perhaps people will now think twice before the post something hurtful or out of anger. Thinking before speaking never hurt anyone.

No limit editing is silly (except for moderators)...one can't make up their mind?

Nevada
08-11-2004, 07:11
I hope we keep the no limit editing ...

I went back to add another post to a thread from yesterday and saw that I had spelled my name incorrectly. It's just a nuisance to not be able to fix at least grammar and spelling.

As far as changing what we have said within a post, I have gone back a day later and, while, no one had commented on the "tone" of my words, I felt that perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough and hoped that no one had found offense in what I said. So, occasionally, I rewrite a word or phrase so that it better expresses my intent
in as kind a fashion as possible.I like to be able to go back and edit as well, not so much to change the intent or basic content of a post, but to correct errors, and as terri says, to change the tone so it fits what I actually meant to say but perhaps wasn't able to properly express at the time of the original posting.

Nevada

Astraea
08-11-2004, 07:23
People who are not bothered by the editing time limit will, by definition, be unaffected by it; it will drive the rest of us batty.

Gerbear
08-11-2004, 07:36
No limit editing is silly (except for moderators)...one can't make up their mind?

It isn't a matter of making up one's mind as far as editing to add to an ongoing list. This WAS the case with the deck collection thread. It was requested that we edit our original lists, rather than have numerous posts when we added a deck(s) to our collection.

DollieAnna
08-11-2004, 08:26
I was speaking of the angry, hurtful posts...When people write something mean or hurtful because they disagree with something that somebody posted Gerbear.
People should think before they post something mean to a person, about a country, a leader or whatever.
People will type swiftly when they see something with which they vehemently disagree. Many times they don't preview their post because of the need to prove their point in a hurry. Instead of previewing and THINKING, they post then, wait awhile and begin to feel remorse for posting. Then want to go back and change what they typed instead of biting their tongue when they should have. Perhaps a limited editing time will stop some people from flying off the handle with their opinion.
I am sure Solandia will think of a good compromise.