PDA

View Full Version : Quoting a series of quotes

OakDragon
11-11-2004, 10:14
Is there a way to quote a complete reply that has a quote in it? For example, if someone responded to one of my posts and quoted part of it, can I somehow quote the entire response, including my original post? I can't seem to get this to work. I haven't figured out how to get the earlier responses to stay in the quote. Sometimes the reply makes much less sense without the original post that started it all and in a long thread, it would be much easier to not to have to search back through the thread to find the initial post(s).

Wait... I have an idea...

OakDragon
11-11-2004, 10:15
Is there a way to quote a complete reply that has a quote in it? For example, if someone responded to one of my posts and quoted part of it, can I somehow quote the entire response, including my original post? I can't seem to get this to work. I haven't figured out how to get the earlier responses to stay in the quote. Sometimes the reply makes much less sense without the original post that started it all and in a long thread, it would be much easier to not to have to search back through the thread to find the initial post(s).

replying to my own post....

OakDragon
11-11-2004, 10:15

See what I mean?

Solandia
11-11-2004, 20:58
I don't think there's an easy way to quote a post that contains a quote, but it might be possible with creative use of the [quote] tags.

~ Solandia

CreativeFire
11-11-2004, 21:15
Originally Posted by OakDragon

Is this the sort of thing you mean, Oakdragon?

Solandia's idea of creatively using the [quote] tags maybe could be done like this - try opening and closing another set of tags inside the original ones.

CF

jmd
11-11-2004, 21:18
Originally Posted by OakDragon

Wait... I have an idea...replying to my own post....A quick way to do this is to not use the 'quote' command, but rather to select the whole post using the cursor, then copying and pasting in a reply box, manually adding the [ quote ] [ /quote ] commands in the two sets of differentiated quotes (as I did for the above).

OakDragon
11-11-2004, 22:45
A quick way to do this is to not use the 'quote' command, but rather to select the whole post using the cursor, then copying and pasting in a reply box, manually adding the [ quote ] [ /quote ] commands in the two sets of differentiated quotes (as I did for the above).

True, but I've seen some boards that when you quote a post, it automatically includes the whole post, including all previous quotes, as you did manually. It's not necessary, of course, but it would be a timesaver. Just curious if it was possible. Thank you for your help.

TheLovers2
20-11-2004, 04:09
I didn't think that I should do a different Thread re: this, so I will look for an answer to this post here first.

My question must be simple because people are doing it; I'm just not sure how to do it.

I simply want to include several quotes from different posts in one posted reply. I know how to grab a quote by clicking quote from the particular post, selecting what I want (inside the quote (tags?)) and deleting the rest. Then, I write my response. If I want to add something to it from, say, another post, I will copy and paste, but, after doing those two steps, I am at a loss as to how to include more quotes.

Do I just jump back and forth between pages, doing copy and paste? Is my question clear? There is a Thread where there are certain things I want to address by several different posters.

Thanks. :)

TL2 :TLOVE

jmd
20-11-2004, 13:50
The easiest way seems to me to be to just select from the posts, one at a time, the relevant parts, copy them, and pastes them into the post you want to make, within [ quote ][/ quote ] (or [ quote=name ][/ quote ] commands.

For example, what appears below I simply did by scrolling down whilst replying and selecting and copying the sentences (I even selected and copied the names of the posters, rather than risking mis-spelling them):

[ quote=OakDragon ]I've seen some boards[/ quote ]
So have I!

[ quote=CreativeFire ]Is this the sort of thing you mean, Oakdragon?
[/ quote ]
I wonder too...

&

[ quote=TheLovers2 ]Is my question clear?[/ quote ]
hopefully my reply was :)

The above generates:

I've seen some boards
So have I!

I wonder too...

&

Is my question clear?
hopefully my reply was :)

TheLovers2
20-11-2004, 15:50
For example, what appears below I simply did by scrolling down whilst replying and selecting and copying the sentences (I even selected and copied the names of the posters, rather than risking mis-spelling them)

I'm not sure how to get a quote command happening.

[quote]True, but I've seen some boards that when you quote a post, it automatically includes the whole post, including all previous quotes, as you did manually. It's not necessary, of course, but it would be a timesaver. Just curious if it was possible. Thank you for your help.

This is just a test.

Uh . . . I mean, jmd.

I will see how this works. The thing is I don't know the quote command. I'll see if I can look it up.

Thanks.

TheLovers2
20-11-2004, 15:52
jmd:

I didn't do it right. I guess copying and pasting quotes doesn't work. I probably have to implement the command. Oh heck, I don't know.

Need more help, obviously.

jmd
20-11-2004, 16:07
You did do it correctly... well, NEARLY!

simply remove the spaces in the [ quote ] & [ /quote ] commands.

I would suggest just editing your previous post, and seeing the results.

TheLovers2
20-11-2004, 16:28
Isn't there a quote command that I can enter. I did a copy and paste of each quote thingy. That would be really time consuming.[/ quote ] [/ quote ]

Hey, I think I found it, it's cntrl v. Let's see.

Ok, that's not it.

This cntrl v gave me the quote bracket thing and now it's just repeating my cut and paste.

Ok. I'll just work with this and edit. I just thought I had it for a moment there. Well this is a fine mess.

I need to know the quote command.

jmd
20-11-2004, 16:39
cmmnd/ctrl c for copying, cmmnd/ctrl v for pasting.

TheLovers2
20-11-2004, 17:05
Watch this.

Whadaya think of that?

I would suggest just editing your previous post, and seeing the results.

Not on your life. Want more?

The easiest way seems to me to be to just select from the posts, one at a time, the relevant parts, copy them, and pastes them into the post you want to make, within [ quote ][/ quote ] (or [ quote=name ][/ quote ] commands.

Uh huh . . . you mean like that? :)

For example, what appears below I simply did by scrolling down whilst replying and selecting and copying the sentences (I even selected and copied the names of the posters, rather than risking mis-spelling them):

Sure, likely story.

I am now a "quote expert." Except that they look funny and looonng. (Oh, they only look that way in Preview. After submitting the quotes look fine.)

Oh, I have to try it with a name.

Well, now. While not exactly an "expert," I'd call this progress.

Thank you, Oh Mighty Moderator Tech Person (a.k.a. jmd) for all of your help. :D

jmd
20-11-2004, 17:28
To check what codes do what, I suggest reading through:http://www.tarotforum.net/misc.php?do=bbcode

TheLovers2
20-11-2004, 17:40
Yes, I will certainly do that.

I can finally get some sleep.

PS: I just love how quick the Moderators of ATF are in responding to questions/concerns. You really can't beat this site. Truly Awesome. :)