Green Tea

WhiteRaven

ok..I know this isn't really a "herbal" tea..but it's not just plain Earl Grey neither so I decided to post this question just the same.

What is so good about this tea? What I mean is, what are the benefits of drinking this tea daily as opposed to others on the market. I've heard that it flushes the system quite well...is this true? Is there more to this "green tea" from china?

FantasyWorld

Well,green tea is suppossed to be high in antioxandants, however, I have discovered that Pomegranate juice is better:
From a bottle of POM
Pomegrante juice is one of natures most powerful antioxidants. POM juice has more naturally occuring antioxidant power than any other drink. More than red winde,green tea,blueberry juice and cranberry juice. Antioxidants help your body guard against free radicals,molecules that can cause premature aging,heart disease,Alzheimers!!!!(try it for your step-father),even cancer. Drink a glass a day.
On the back it says:
71% POM
46% Red wine
33% Blueberry juice
20% Cranberry cocktail
12% Orange juice
10% Green tea

These are some internet findings however about green tea:
To sum up, here are just a few medical conditions in which drinking green tea is reputed to be helpful:

cancer
rheumatoid arthritis
high cholesterol levels
cariovascular disease
infection
impaired immune function
Here are just a few known health benefits of drinking green tea:

Boosts your immune system
Lowers blood sugar
Helps prevent cavities and tooth decay
Slows the aging process
Helps reduce the risk of cancer
Lowers cholesterol
Aids in weight loss by burning calories
Reduces high blood pressure
Prevents arthritis
Reduces the risk of heart disease
Reduces the risk of stroke
Lowers the risk of blood clot

Flavio

I`ve seen effects of the japanese green tea, I work in a japanese company and most of the managers and directors I've had, drink green tea instead of coffe, they also drink hot tea during lunches, here some of my observations:

FantasyWorld said:
Slows the aging process ...
That is right! I've seen japanese gentlemen 60 years old+ and they look like any mexican of 45-50 years old.

Reduces the risk of stroke
Of course if you keep a healthy life... one of my directors was a a very heavy smoker he left the Mexico because we had an stroke, fortunately it happened at the office hours so we had a chance to save him because he lived alone in Mexico.

Cerulean

Small amount of caffeine, but less than coffee

Not many calories, less drastic caffeine intake...my comparison is it would be very much like drinking hot water, but the acid and caffeine and small amount of antioxidents and vitamin c is helpful after meals.

I don't take any other herbs, sugars or flavoring in my green teas--except for some Asian ones. I like best the Japanese genmei cha, aka 'popcorn' tea because of the nutty aftertaste of the rice hulls.

It is also a dollar in most cases at the more expensive coffee bars--cheaper habit. The China Green Tips at Starbucks is very good in their steaming hot water--I take the largest size, one bag. My love and others have said it looks like I wave the teabag over the top, dip it once or twice so there's a flush of color and then that's it. I think the steaming hot water has a lot to do with liking my tea...

Regards,

Cerulean

WhiteRaven

I've had it hot a couple of times but enjoy it more cold. As a matter of fact I have Iced Green Tea sitting next to me right now..lol

I like hot Valarian tea at night...it's tasty and it does what it's suppose to do without the ill effects the next morning.

As for all the other contributions to this thread...I thank you all for the great information! :)
I've been drinking quite a bit lately and was curious to know what effects it would have.

WhiteRaven

Here's another question.

When one is on a diet, and has a time drinking the required amounts of water for said diet, could green tea be a replacement seeing it DOES remove toxins much like the water is suppose to do.

Cerulean

Hot water stays in the stomach a little longer

Green tea has some acids, caffeine, and very few calories, but it is not the same as water. I don't find it as an equal substitute if you have both available. Tea is said to be a detoxify, but it is a different thing than water, to me.

For instance, in the early morning at work, I have a bit of decaffeinated coffee mixed with latte and hot water--and if I were to drink a hot tea right after, without food, I have a digestive upset with the acids of tea and coffee. However, hot water is benign and helps dilute the coffee.

Tea was originally used to flavor the heated water and helped purify the local waters of contaminents. However I am thinking of Chinese and Japanese green tea. I get them in discount teabag packets at a superstore known as Costco. I also do not heavily flavor my hot water during the evening with loads of teabags.

I am not thinking of Lipton's or cheaper grades of green tea. I don't know all the differences, I just don't like Lipton's green tea.

Hot water, plain, is similar to the characteristics of drinking cooler water, but it is said to stay in the stomach longer. My father will drink hot water at night, not herbal or green tea, to keep away from caffeine.

We're conservative, with funny stomachs, though--in my father and sister's case, it was experience with ulcers. Nothing to do with their liking of tea, it's said, but they watch their intake. Workouts where one sweats out toxins and stress might also have helped me avoid ulcers so far.

Someone else may be able to give you better advice. I hope you have good experiences in whatever you choose....and I hope what I said might help.

Good health to you!

Cerulean

Regards,

Cerulean

amyel

WhiteRaven said:
Here's another question.

When one is on a diet, and has a time drinking the required amounts of water for said diet, could green tea be a replacement seeing it DOES remove toxins much like the water is suppose to do.
WR, my dietician says that the adage to drink lots of water doesn't mean H2O per se. Drinks made with a high water content, providing, of course, that they are low in sugars, sodium, alcohol and caffeine, also count. So I suppose green tea would count, as would de-caf coffee or home made fruit or veggie juice.

The idea is to keep your system replenished with vital nutrients and drinking liquids also helps to keep the stomach active, which helps contribute to feeling full. This is part of the reason some diets says you should drink a big glass of water before a meal - it contributes to feeling full.

WhiteRaven

amyel said:
WR, my dietician says that the adage to drink lots of water doesn't mean H2O per se. Drinks made with a high water content, providing, of course, that they are low in sugars, sodium, alcohol and caffeine, also count. So I suppose green tea would count, as would de-caf coffee or home made fruit or veggie juice.

The idea is to keep your system replenished with vital nutrients and drinking liquids also helps to keep the stomach active, which helps contribute to feeling full. This is part of the reason some diets says you should drink a big glass of water before a meal - it contributes to feeling full.

I heard the same thing from a friend of mine that was/is on Weight Watchers a while ago but I wasn't sure if I remembered correctly or not.

daneo52

re

I love green tea. It is also supposed to speed up the metabolism. I like white tea even better, which has many times more antioxidants, and a very gentle flavor that I love. Celestial Seasonings has it with some nice flavors. Important to never put green tea in boiling water, it should just be hot.