• Walking

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • A bit of both

Votes: 47 39.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters

le pendu

Picture the Hermit in your mind, watch him for a few moments.

----

-----

--------

Is he standing still or walking?

Rusty Neon

One of my views on this is that the Hermit is walking very slowly, yet surely. Like the hour hand of a clock. After all, under some historical views of card origins, the Hermit card represents Time.

TheoMo

(I voted a little bit of both)

I see him walking, and I see him feel my presence. Then he stops, acknowledges my presence, and continues his search for whatever it is. I am unsure whether I am invited to follow.

WhiteRaven

I voted that he is standing still

Standing still, in deep contemplation of what he needs to do to go forward upon his path. A moment of pause to reflect in solitude so may hear and see what needs to be done for himself. Perhaps the lantern that he carries suggests that he is searching on this path...yet he HAS paused to contemplate on which direction he is headed.

tmgrl2

I always feel that the Hermit is moving somewhat toward me, beckoning me to where I must go to reflect.

terri

Fulgour

I see The Hermit as following his dog ~ sent after The Fool...

gypsy

i voted a little bit of both... i feel that he is pausing to collect his thoughts while on a journey.

a few years ago, i had IX tattooed on my ribcage. (IX=roman 9) i was on a journey of my own, pausing in a foreign town to collect my thoughts and look within,and i felt the wisdom of the hermit guiding my path. the tattoo is a reminder that the answers are always within, i just need to find them. with, of course, some guidance from my cards.

Satori

This is a very interesting question Le Pendv.

You see, L'Hermite is moving in a way that defies definition by our paltry 3-dimensional terms.

The Hermit is indeed standing still. And he is also moving, while he stands, still.

The Hermit exists outside of time, in a place where he is truly alone. He is betwixt and between, he is outside of our world and he is inside of it. I don't know why I have always felt this way about the Hermit, but he is indeed standing still as far as we are concerned, and moving as far as he is concerned.

Imagemaker

Elf, that statement is beyond cool. What more solitary pure-examination place can a consciousness go than outside Time? That moment of otherworldliness really teaches us about our Selves

lark

He stays in his Hermit cave during the day...
But he comes out at night to check things out, when he's the least likely to meet other people.
He stands on his Mt. top and surveys the world around him.
His light shinning in the night, for those that are ready to see
For me he is about freewill, we come to him when we are ready for his truth.
I think he's standing still.