Ruby Plate Mica?

WhiteRaven

Has anyone heard of a Ruby Plate Mica?

I recently won a bid on Ebay for a really nice slab of Selenite. When I received it, the seller included a chunk of raw Flourite and this Ruby Plate Mica with the slab of Selenite. What I should have done was email the guy I suppose, and asked him about it...but I thought I'd post it to see if anyone else has any of this and/or has seen it and/or knows what properties etc...anything about it.

Majecot

WhiteRaven,
I found this site that sells several types of Mica, I still am not quite sure of what it is but it certianly seems to be expensive. I had never heard of it before.. but seeing it in this form it does look familiar to me.

I also found this on Mica:

"Mica is a naturally occurring mineral, which is present in most granite rock formations. It occurs as a geological fault between two layers of hard rock. In brief, Mica is a generic term applied to a group of complex alumino-silicate materials, having a plate like structure, with different chemical compositions and physical properties. Unfortunately, most of the world’s mica is commercially of little value and is only suitable for grinding into mica powder. Deposits of mica suitable for use in electrical applications are found in India, Madagascar and to a lesser extent in Canada, where the mineral is mined and processed (cut and split).

TYPES OF MICA

Muscovite mica is the most commonly used mica in electrical insulation. Muscovite mica is by far the best electrical properties of all the micas and is commonly available in two colour groups:

Ruby (varies in colour from clear through pink to red / brown)

Green (varies in colour from pale green through olive to a dark green)

The crystal structure of the two types is very similar though the most commonly used of the two is ruby mica. Ruby mica is harder than green mica and can be split into very thin films.

Phlogopite mica is commonly called amber mica and varies in colour from light silver to dark brown. Phlogopite is softer than muscovite micas and has poorer electrical properties and chemical resistance. The material can however withstand considerably higher temperatures without dehydration and has good abrasion characteristics. It is commonly used in the manufacture of heating elements and as the base material for the manufacture of commutator micanite."
Yawn right?

But more interestingly to us I think was this:
Ancient legend and folklore claim: Walking on Mica in bare feet is therapeutic to conditions such as arthritis and stiff joints, even curing headaches. :D:D

Looks like you got a nice little bonus with your win!

WhiteRaven

Majecot said:
WhiteRaven,
I found this site that sells several types of Mica, I still am not quite sure of what it is but it certianly seems to be expensive. I had never heard of it before.. but seeing it in this form it does look familiar to me.

I also found this on Mica:

"Mica is a naturally occurring mineral, which is present in most granite rock formations. It occurs as a geological fault between two layers of hard rock. In brief, Mica is a generic term applied to a group of complex alumino-silicate materials, having a plate like structure, with different chemical compositions and physical properties. Unfortunately, most of the world’s mica is commercially of little value and is only suitable for grinding into mica powder. Deposits of mica suitable for use in electrical applications are found in India, Madagascar and to a lesser extent in Canada, where the mineral is mined and processed (cut and split).

TYPES OF MICA

Muscovite mica is the most commonly used mica in electrical insulation. Muscovite mica is by far the best electrical properties of all the micas and is commonly available in two colour groups:

Ruby (varies in colour from clear through pink to red / brown)

Green (varies in colour from pale green through olive to a dark green)

The crystal structure of the two types is very similar though the most commonly used of the two is ruby mica. Ruby mica is harder than green mica and can be split into very thin films.

Phlogopite mica is commonly called amber mica and varies in colour from light silver to dark brown. Phlogopite is softer than muscovite micas and has poorer electrical properties and chemical resistance. The material can however withstand considerably higher temperatures without dehydration and has good abrasion characteristics. It is commonly used in the manufacture of heating elements and as the base material for the manufacture of commutator micanite."
Yawn right?

But more interestingly to us I think was this:
Ancient legend and folklore claim: Walking on Mica in bare feet is therapeutic to conditions such as arthritis and stiff joints, even curing headaches. :D:D

Looks like you got a nice little bonus with your win!

Oh I could give you a HUGE virtual hug! Thank you for investigating for me!
Yes...it does sound interesting...mine is a deep red almost brown and has shiny multicolored areas that cover it...(can't find the "name" of that color or whatever..lol..I'm on my first coffee and brain dead today. indi...something) It IS very fragile and it's flakey and can fall apart or deflake? easily. Yes...it was a bonus to receive...that and the chunck of Flourite. I was a tad disappointed with the Selenite...it's a really nice piece but from the picture on ebay I some how thought it was a larger slab. I'm looking for a slabe about 6" long by 4" wide...close to that anyways...this is about 1/3 of that.

Do you know of a lower quality of Selenite that has a different name that is cheaper? Or something that looks almost identical to Selenite that could pass as that and is cheaper?

Thanks again for the info!
:)

Majecot

India Ruby muscovite mica perhaps? (I dunno but is sounded good...lol)

I googled Selenite for you, apparently there are a lot of different types/grades. I did find a site that sells some small pieces for cheap. I guess it depends on what you use it for.
Wands appear to be quite pricey, depending I guess in how much work goes into the cut and polish. But I did find another site that sells fairly inexpensive pieces.

WhiteRaven

hehehe...the piece that would probably fit what I want it for is the biggest at $95.00

There's got to be a lower grade that is out there....
I want to create ....see if you can picture this...

the base is to be the Selenite...then you have a smaller slab of Lapis Lazuli on top of the Selenite in a corner that would represent a pond...some green agate (thin slices) standing and glued to the back edge (pending on thickness) of the Selenite...representing trees...more smaller pieces of selenite glued in various spots on the foundation and adding perhaps some red jasper, onyx...maybe some small herkimer diamonds...etc...and having a few flat pewter figures of say...wolves that are placed on top of the small pieces of Selenite...

Something like a forest...wolf forest...can you picture that in your head?
I bought one a few years ago...AMAZING piece and man the energy coming from that was indescribable. It got smashed to pieces...haven't found one like it or even close to it since...searched and searched here and online...so finally decided that I would have to recreate it again myself. So that's why I'm in search for such a large piece of Selenite...for the base/foundation of the...I don't even know what you would call a piece like that...all that comes to mind is "wolf forest" because that's what we used to refer to it as...

Thanks for the links...I've been to one of the places...where you see the wands....

:)

Majecot

Oh your "wolf forest" sounds amazing, and you describe it perfectly!!! I want one :(

I cannot imagine the cost involved in that piece, it is a shame that it was destroyed, did you save any of the pieces? Prob not huh?

I shall keep my eyes open for you. Just make sure you post a picture when you have your creation assembled.

WhiteRaven

Majecot said:
Oh your "wolf forest" sounds amazing, and you describe it perfectly!!! I want one :(

I cannot imagine the cost involved in that piece, it is a shame that it was destroyed, did you save any of the pieces? Prob not huh?

I shall keep my eyes open for you. Just make sure you post a picture when you have your creation assembled.

4 years ago it cost me 75.00 CDN...now..I have no clue. This is why I think there must be a lower grade of Selenite that's dirt cheap. Otherwise they must have bought in bulk? There were all kinds of different stones on the original and no...nothing was kept...for various different reasons. From the looks of things now, buying seperate pieces to try and recreate it as close as possible is going to cost a small fortune! I dunno...sigh...I'll keep hunting. If I ever do get this together I'll make sure to put a picture up in this section so you can get a look at it. I like the idea of making my own because it did take a bit of time to "clear" the piece.

I'll let you know when and if I get this together or not...

Thanks again! :)