Medicine Cards by David Carson & Jamie Sams

WhiteRaven

I have great interest in this deck. In fact I hold it quite sacred and have been working with it for years now. I have the newer addition that holds 52 cards. There is an earlier version that does not contain that many.

Does anyone have this deck and have connected with it? I would even be interested in beginning a study on this deck if there were enough people that were interested. Heck...all I need is one more person I guess...

Any comments on this deck from anyone would be appreciated.

:)

WhiteRaven

zorya said:
here is a thread about the shields that you might find interesting; http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=27432&highlight=medicine

Thanks Zorya...I went to check it out and I kinda wish I had been around when that thread started. My take on the cards are totally different. I hold these cards quite sacred above any type of cards/oracles/tarot or any other type of divination....but that's just me. Fulgour had posted in a thread just a couple of days ago about these cards and I was hoping to get his attention because I'd rather take MoonGold's advice and just leave the thread as it is. I might PM him to try and get him into this thread. I do love these cards...my Totem Animals are a very important part of my life.

Thank you again :)

Fulgour

Hello WhiteRaven. As you have seen, I've spent a little time
studying The Medicine Cards, a little time but several years.
My instincts led me to discover just enough of a structure
to then break clearly free, yet still be able to find my way.

Since there is only one book in the whole world for these,
it's hard to find an angle if one wants to make comparisons
with a wider range of things with any specific connections.

So I've collected a few books on animals, but mostly rely
on my experiences ~ while growing up in the woodlands
of Michigan and Illinois, and more importantly, the daily
reality of Nature in my life now. Every day brings more...

WhiteRaven

Fulgour said:
Hello WhiteRaven. As you have seen, I've spent a little time
studying The Medicine Cards, a little time but several years.
My instincts led me to discover just enough of a structure
to then break clearly free, yet still be able to find my way.

Since there is only one book in the whole world for these,
it's hard to find an angle if one wants to make comparisons
with a wider range of things with any specific connections.

So I've collected a few books on animals, but mostly rely
on my experiences ~ while growing up in the woodlands
of Michigan and Illinois, and more importantly, the daily
reality of Nature in my life now. Every day brings more...

There is no way to compare these cards. These speak to you...they are the Animal Guides that help us to see and guide us upon our path. When consulting them...they give messages. There is no symbology to study within these cards other than the animal that presents itself to you at your time of need. Your individual Totems show you the make up of your life and where and how to identify and use the characteristics of each one to help you on your path. You did well to gather books about different animals because that is the best reference you will be able to use. To learn about them and to intergrate that information into the messages that they try and give you. I hold my totems sacred...and they fit me just like a personally tailored glove. The last two of the Totem they say is better to allow them to come to you. This I did and they have presented themselves to me after meditation and watching my life as it's been. Unfortunately, not all animals are presented in the book that is provided and the stories are all Native lore and legends...you have to read in between those legends and try and see the message that each story is giving you...I'm not Native but I do believe in many of their beliefs...Earth Spirituality...

I, too, spent seven years of my youth in Michigan. Approx. 45 mins from Detroit going south, in the country where a river flowed behind the house.
:)

I now live in a huge city...concrete all around...but we are very lucky here in Montreal...we have been graced with a beautiful mountain and summit where I can get lost wandering around. We are also graced with an Indian reserve across the St Lawrence river that I also roam around many times for hours and hours...

Have you connected or bonded with any animal in particular? Did you choose your 7 cards to find your totems? If so, did you choose the last two as well, the ones that walk on each side of you? Those two are the ones that the author suggests you allow to come to you naturally.

Fulgour

Living first near Chicago, and close to the Brookfield Zoo,
I had a lot of exposure to animals early on, though today
we can understand as adults how sorrowful zoos may be
for the creatures there ~ but such is life, and I did marvel!

In beautiful Michigan, both Holland and Birmingham were home
for me 'twixt ages six and ten, and how wonderful to be able
to slip the bonds of city confines, to roam the wild places free.
Since then, I've been back upon the praries in native Illinois.

Turtle came to me one day, and has remained a close companion.
Hawk has come, but here I called for this great spirit to guide me.

I also feel a strong connection to the trees and field grasses,
to the wondrous Moon and stars, to the Oneness of all things.

WhiteRaven

Turtle is Mother Earth
Turtle....

Mother, hold him near
wipe the tears that lay
upon your skin
your child weeps from within...

Hold him close so he may see
the beauty that you breathe
wisdom lies within the oak
that's rooted in your being...

Mother, hold him near.......

~Turtle~

BlueLotus

Turtle . . . Great Mother,
Feed my spirit,
Clothe my heart,

That I may serve you too
. *

*Page 76- Medicine Cards

WhiteRaven

Feebie said:
Turtle . . . Great Mother,
Feed my spirit,
Clothe my heart,

That I may serve you too
. *

*Page 76- Medicine Cards

Thank you Feebie...yes, this is the book that comes with the cards :)

Fulgour

Why don't we discuss our favourite spreads, and/or even
whether or not 'spreads' work the best with the cards?