PDA

View Full Version : Arnica

Moongold
13-12-2004, 20:40
This is the first time I have posted here but I am just delighted at a discovery.

Although I work in aplace which uses complementary therapies I have made little use of the opportunities there. That is another story.

On Friday evening I tripped in the doorway of a shop and fell on my right hand and then cheek flat in the street. Such a dignified landing LOL. I cracked a finger which was quite swollen and have swelling and bruising on my face.

Our staff took me aside today and gave me something called arnica oil . It has relieved the facial swelling and brought out a wonderful bruise. But I feel much better. Possibly it is something about doing something for oneself but I'm sure some of it must be attributable to the arnica itself.

I had a car accident a few years with a resulting leg injury which has remained dark and painful. Our naturopath has suggested I use the arnica on that as well. She feels it will have impact. I almost had to have surgery on this a few months ago so am very hopeful.

Does anyone else know about this wonderful concoction? It comes from the arnica plant which apparently is native to the US.

Grigori
13-12-2004, 20:48
Hi moongold,

Arnica is pretty great. It used in both herbal and homeopathic form, for all sorts of blunt trauma. (Also good after surgery, tooth extractions and acute shocks in some cases).

I'm a homeopath and we often joke that more people try homeopathy after experiencing Arnica from the health food shop, than any other source of referral.

It's a common plant, that grows at high altitude. It's botanic name is Arnica montana, and is also known as Wolf's Bane, or Leopard's bane.

Should be heaps of info on the web.

WhiteRaven
13-12-2004, 23:16
I was introduced to it by my Ex a few years ago. It comes in a cream form that I use sometimes. It also comes in tablet form but I have never used that. My Ex has though and swears by it. The cream is very good! I'm happy to hear that the swelling has gone down Yeah! :)

WhiteRaven
13-12-2004, 23:23
Names : Leopard's Bane, European Arnica

Habitat : Native to Europe, Siberia and North West N. America

Actions : Anti-inflammatory, vulnerary.

Indications : Whilst this herb should not be taken internally as it is potentially toxic, it provides us with one of the best remedies for external local healing and may be considered a specific when it comes to the treatment of bruises and sprains. The homeopathic preparation is entirely safe to take internally, especially when taken according to homeopathic directions. The herb itself, used externally, will help in the relief of rheumatic pain, the pain and inflammation of phlebitis and similar conditions. It may in fact be used wherever there is pain or inflammation on the skin, as long as the skin is not broken.

Ellingwood considered it specific for "bruised, sore, lacerated and contused muscular structures." In addition he recommends it for the following pathologies: muscular soreness, pain, soreness of the breasts, severe injury, old sores, abscesses.

Combinations : For a lotion it may be combined with distilled Witch Hazel.

Preparations & Dosage : You can prepare your own tincture of this herb as follows: pour 1/2 liter (one pint) of 70% alcohol over 50 grams (two ounces) of freshly picked flowers. Seal it tightly in a clear glass container and let it stand for at least a week in the sun or in a warm place. Filter it and it is ready for use. To store it, put the tincture in a sealed container and keep it out of direct sunlight.

FantasyWorld
13-12-2004, 23:28
Actions : Anti-inflammatory, vulnerary.

Indications : Whilst this herb should not be taken internally as it is potentially toxic, it provides us with one of the best remedies for external local healing and may be considered a specific when it comes to the treatment of bruises and sprains. The homeopathic preparation is entirely safe to take internally, especially when taken according to homeopathic directions. The herb itself, used externally, will help in the relief of rheumatic pain, the pain and inflammation of phlebitis and similar conditions. It may in fact be used wherever there is pain or inflammation on the skin, as long as the skin is not broken.

If it's an anti-inflammatory then it should be good for arthritis. Has anyone used this for that purpose with results?

WhiteRaven
13-12-2004, 23:45
I haven't...I used it as an anti-inflam...however my Ex's Mother uses it...but she also takes a combination of stuff so I'm not too sure if it's actually the Anica or the other meds that help more...

Sulis
14-12-2004, 02:40
My husband, Fran took arnica pillules (I think homeopathic) before and after his vasectomy - no swelling at all and very minimal bruising - I'm sure he won't mind me sharing this with everyone here ;)

Love

Sulis xx

Kyrielle
14-12-2004, 10:11
I have never used this, but I have read about a homeopathic supplement the Badger company makes using arnica montana: www.badgerbalm.com . Click on the section for sore muscles -- they make a sore muscle rub (non-arnica)which is very good, and also the Montana Badger, which has the arnica in it. There are testimonials, and I believe some attest to positive benefits for arthritis.

The sore muscle rub, by the way, contains extract of cayenne pepper, which I have heard may help relieve arthritis.

Kyrielle

**Edit** I just went back to the website and it says they are discontinuing this particular arnica product. But something similar should be available from other companies.

Gypsy Mama
14-12-2004, 10:14
Hi there!
I am interested in homeopathy and regularly use arnica (in pill form) at home. It is great for bruises and bangs, as I have a 2 year old it is never far out of reach.
From what I understand of homeopathy, arnica is used for acute injuries such as what you described (bangs and bumps, surgery,possibly shock) , as for arthritis, it is a chronic condition and would most likely require a different rememdy like Rhus Tox. I have just successfully treated a house full of fevers, coughs, sore throats and runny noses all homeopathically in the last couple weeks. I think it works well once you get the right remedy because you perscribe based on individual factors and not a flat out diagnosis. It's really fascinating! At least I think so!
Take care,
Gypsy Mama

Kyrielle
14-12-2004, 10:16
The testimonials are still up for the Montana Badger on the Badger website, so you can still read what others' experiences have been like.

Kyrielle

Grigori
14-12-2004, 19:37
Gypsy Mama's right. Arnica is short acting and really for injuries, rather than chronic conditions like arthritis.

Rhus-tox can be used in homeopathic form for some types of arthritis, and also for acute sprains.

For a chronic condition it usually best to seek a qualified practitioner. They can recommend the best remedy, as well as diet/lifestyle/supplements etc.

smleite
14-12-2004, 21:18
I was given Arnica pills by my homeopath, after the birth of my child, which was followed by a big surgery. She said it was an anti-shock medicine, to help not only my body to recover from the violence of it all, but also to heal and release emotional pain.

Silvia

Sophie
15-12-2004, 19:16
If there's furniture in a room, I'll bumb myself on it - and even if there isn't ;)
So many bruises...but arnica cream helps me. I don't know the mixture, I just buy it at my local chemist, it's very much in use here. And when I have the colliwobbles, I take a homeopathic arnica pill, it works wonders to calm and centre (or maybe it's just thinking about calming and centering that does it - but no matter, arnica pills would then be good props).

Moongold
15-12-2004, 19:33
Just to report on my progress so far - the facial swelling has all but gone visually althought here is one deep red patch under my eye and things are still tender to touch. I think the arnica nust be responsible for that.

What is very interesting is that there seems to be improvement in the old leg injury which was very dark - almost like a deep bruise - except the accident was three years ago and bruises don't last that long.

I shall watch this with interest.. It would be almost like a miracle if that got better. :)

Grigori
15-12-2004, 21:42
The homeopathic remedies are also used for chronic effects of long ago injuries. I've seen some amazing cases of migraines etc. following head injuries that respond to Arnica beautifully.

One great story I've read is of a man whose eyesight was damaged by an injury. A long time later he took Arnica from a health food store for a new injury (broken toe or something similar from memory) and his eyesight imropoved substanially. He went on to study homeopathy and now is quite a famous teacher.

Moongold if your old injury is improving with the remedy, you might be helped by seeing a practitioner. They can supply a stronger dose than what is available at a health food shop, and you could get stronger results. Anything to avoid a surgery :-)

Moongold
21-12-2004, 07:40
Similia ~

Thank you for your suggestion.

The old injury on my leg is markedly better after just 5 days of the arnica treatment. I have been using arnica oil, massaging it into the site of the injury and there has been a real improvement in the discoloration. It feels better as well - little swelling and discomfort.

Moongold
21-12-2004, 07:40
Similia ~

Thank you for your suggestion.

The old injury on my leg is markedly better after just 5 days of the arnica treatment. I have been using arnica oil, massaging it into the site of the injury and there has been a real improvement in the discoloration. It feels better as well - little swelling and discomfort.

Grigori
21-12-2004, 20:20
That's great to hear. I hope it all goes very well for you.

Etain
29-12-2004, 21:30
I actually do use arnica in a salve for arthritis (suffered by a family friend). She says the salve works wonders, but there are other ingredients in there, too. So, it may not be the arnica. Also, my sister has a tennis partner who suffers often from sore joints when they've played. I use arnica in her rub as well. These are, of course, just my personal recipes, and I can only go by what the people tell me.

cheers,
stephanie

HudsonGray
30-12-2004, 05:42
I'm wondering, does it put any stress on the liver? And does it react with steady use of decongestant medication?

Grigori
30-12-2004, 21:25
It doesn't react with medications in the way you mean.

Arnica herbally is only used externally, so it is no problem. Arnica herb should not be used internally.

Homeopathics don't react with orthodox medication as they're too dilute, however they do affect your health so you should check with a professional before you take anything new. They will not put stress on the liver and are completely safe to take internally.

If someone is taking a medication chronically the bruise is probably better left to itself, and I'd look at ways to fix the chronic problem instead.

Emily
01-01-2005, 04:39
I use Arnica gel for bruises and bangs. I found out about it when my little boy who was then around 3 years old (5 years ago) had a really nasty bang on his leg. I went to our local healthfood shop and asked if she had anything that could help with bruising - I came out with this little pot of Arnica Gel.

As soon as I put it on his leg, the bruise really came out but it stopped hurting him. I always make sure I keep some in now. It really does work quick, I use it too - Although I don't get as many bruises as my rough and tumble son does. :)