question about symbols on my chart

purplephilia

Hi everyone, I have some very basic questions that I'm too impatient to wait to read about! I had a chart printed out for me a couple years ago, and I'm wondering what some of the symbols mean.

I have a circle with an x in it. That's in my 6th house in Aries.
Then there is a little circle with a horizontal line bisecting it with an arrow pointing up, kind of sitting on the circle. It's in my 10th house in Leo.
Then there is something that looks like it says "Vtx". It's in my 8th house, in Gemini.
And I have an upside down node--is that my southern node? It's opposite of my...right side up node.

Astraea

These sound like (in order) symbols for the Part of Fortune, Transpluto and Vertex.

The Part of Fortune is one of the so-called Arabic Parts (or Lots), which are actually points in space derived from the relationships between various planets and house cusps. The Part of Fortune (also called Pars Fortuna) is thought to signify an area of life which is generally fortunate, especially materially, in a person's life.

Transpluto is one of the hypothetical planets of a particular school of astrology which postulates the existence of bodies not visible to the naked eye. Transpluto is considered to be of the nature of Pluto, but concentrated and even more intense. My astrology program draws Transpluto in the way you have described, but with a curved instead of straight line through the center of the circle; it is possible that the symbol you have described stands for something else in the program which drew your chart.

The vertex is the point at which two great astronomical circles, the ecliptic and the prime vertical, intersect in the west. The vertex is thought by many astrologers to represent a sort of "second ascendant."

A Google search on these terms will yield a great deal of information. I also recommend looking in the Asrological Dictionary section within Astrodienst's site, which is found by going to this page: http://www.astro.com/faq/fq_faq_e.htm, and clicking on the Astro Dictionary link at the bottom of the page.

(Edited to add that yes, the South Node of the Moon is the upside-down image of the North Node, and exactly opposite it -- as you have described.)

paradoxx

purplephilia said:
Hi everyone, I have some very basic questions that I'm too impatient to wait to read about! I had a chart printed out for me a couple years ago, and I'm wondering what some of the symbols mean.

I have a circle with an x in it. That's in my 6th house in Aries.
Then there is a little circle with a horizontal line bisecting it with an arrow pointing up, kind of sitting on the circle. It's in my 10th house in Leo.
Then there is something that looks like it says "Vtx". It's in my 8th house, in Gemini.
And I have an upside down node--is that my southern node? It's opposite of my...right side up node.

Astraea is correct, and here is my take on it:

I too have Part of Fortune in Aries, for me its the 8th house, it is calculated by using the rising, sun, and moon signs. The Part of fortune is as far from the accendant as the moon is from the sun. You feel active and healthy when you can purchase something, or have a lot to your name, this never seems to be a problem, but you may lose yourself and make unwise financial decisions.

As for your second symbol, a list of common asteroids and their glypsh are available here http://www.treehousemountain.com/anames.htm , and here http://www.astrocom.com/articles/infospecials/IKEYSX.pdf it does indeed look like it is your transpluto. Your career as a leader will go through many changes.

The vertex is the alignment point of all known major bodies in the solar system. It indicates how you synthesize your objectives and align your efforts. Gemini energy demands that you be able te accomplish more than one goal at a time, in your relatioonships as well as your profession.