South East Asia tsunami

M-Press

Just adding this here...
Was the Full moon yesterday?
What a disaster beyond belief... What a Tower...!
It seems that we already got used to our own distractiveness, but then Mother Earth comes, showing us her ways...

Anyone knows the time this happened? My newspaper doesn't have that info... This is definitely a moment to observe... something so hard to even begin digesting...

Imagemaker

Info from CNN:

The earthquake happened at 6:58 am, the tsunami hit beaches about 2 1/2 hours later--about 9:30 in Sri Lanka. Horrendous and shocking--a beautiful calm tropical day--then disaster.

There are 3 warning signs of a tsunami:
1. the earthquake
2. the pullback of the water on the shore (5-10 min before the first wave hits)
3. the freight-train noise of the incoming wave

The US and many countries in the Pacific have wave sensors on buoys that send a signals of unusual energy movement in the ocean, which can provide a bit of warning. But tsunamis are so rare in the Indian Ocean, those countries don't have those sensors in place.

The many countries involved make this so much more difficult to deal with in helping the victims. The area involved has been compared to the total east and west coasts of the US being hit.

In the face of such power and intensity, we are all so tiny and weak. May kindness and caring be our response.

Diana

23'000 dead and still counting....

For days I was feeling a sense of doom. As if something terrible was about to happen. I thought it had something to do with my private circle. But when I heard news of the earthquake and subsequent tidal waves, all sense of doom left me.

Can one see this kind of event in astrology???

isthmus nekoi

I believe earthquakes can be linked to Uranus transits, and since tsunamis are a result of earthquakes, I would say yes.

HudsonGray

I hear European tv has been running far more news stories about it than we get here (almost all day in Sweden, Thailand is a holiday destination for them), but I did hear that it hit in early morning when people were at breakfast.

Would you count the time as when the actual earthquake took place, or when the tsunami hit the various country's seashores? It's such a horrible thing, the worst one in 100 years for the death counts. The only place I haven't heard about being hit was Australia, and they'd have had something happening, they're to the south & would have had their northern beaches hit. Sri Lanka was the highest toll so far. It's so sad.

maria42airam

I was reading this morning in my "This Day in History" email that on December 28, 1908 at 5:20 A.M. a very bad earthquake hit the Straits of Messina in southern Italy.

How would an astrology beginner go about comparing the location of the various planets on that day versus the one this year?

scorpio

I used 6:58 AM Colombo, Sri lanka for the earthquake and 9:28 AM Colombo Sri Lanka for the tsunami, not suprising the latter has neptune (sea) conjunct the acendant.

M-Press

I must say I'm too paralysed to make much analysis right now...
everytime I log on cnn or listen to the radio news, the number of deaths just goes higher...
Can the fatality of this be seen in the stars? Whould that make an "ouaou" chart?
Can that be just a accident totally out of control?

These are the times that i just don't know whether to belive on a higher power or not... trying hard to understand what is this all about.
Right now, as the roller coaster goes on, it seems that the wave is still up... and I can't wait for it to go down...

katie_here

just reading a website I visit

www.femail.co.uk Its the website to the daily paper that I read and it has published a timeline for the terrible asian disaster. I thought it may be of interest to those who were interested in the timing

here is what it says:

Sunday December 26
0059 GMT (0759 local)

An earthquake, initially measured at 8.9, erupts along two tectonic plates, the Australian and Eurasian plates, which meet just off the coast of Sumatra, Indonesia. The quake is six miles down along a geological fault on the sea floor. The enormous release of energy from the massive rupture triggers a surge of powerful waves radiating across the Indian Ocean at speeds of up to 500mph.

0100-0130 GMT

The northern tip of Indonesia, which is just 65 miles from the epicentre, and the Indian-controlled Nicobar and Andaman Islands, also close by, are the first to be devastated. Huge waves crash on to the shoreline of the islands and the Aceh province of Indonesia, giving victims no warning. Within half an hour of the quake, reports say the Thai island of Phuket, a popular tourist venue, has also been hit by waves.

0300 GMT

Within two hours, the tsunami has ripped in to the coasts of India, Sri Lanka and Thailand, according to seismologist Dr David Booth, of the British Geological Survey. Waves as high as 12ft are reported in some parts and over the next hour, reports begin to come in of mild tremors along India's east coast and widespread flooding in the south and eastern areas of Sri Lanka, some 1,000 miles from the quake.

0400 GMT

By now the Maldives have fallen under the force of the tsunami as killer waves crash on to the 1,192 coral atolls.

0615 GMT

Tremors are felt in Bangladesh, according to the BBC and reports of the devastation in the Maldives begin to emerge.

0700 GMT

Reports emerge of people being swept from the beaches of Penang in Malaysia.

1330 GMT

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw sends a message of condolence to the countries affected.

1425 GMT

The Queen asks the Foreign Secretary to pass on her condolences as the death toll continues to rise.

1500 GMT

News organisations begin to report that Somalia's coastline in eastern Africa - some 3,000 miles away - has also been hit but it is several hours before the reports are confirmed.

1830 GMT

Aid agencies express fears for Burma as little information is coming out of the nation despite a certainty it must have suffered from the waves. It is again several hours before those fears are confirmed and it is clear people have died.

Monday December 27
Daybreak

A fresh tremor, measuring 6.0, hits Indian islands off the country's eastern coast sending shock across the Andaman and Nicobar islands in the Bay of Bengal

purple_scorp

HudsonGray said:
The only place I haven't heard about being hit was Australia, and they'd have had something happening, they're to the south & would have had their northern beaches hit.

The Australian coast was not hit. Though, we have been experiencing some rather unusual weather for this time of year.

purple_scorp