Need help on choosing an oracle deck...

Chubby Mummy

I think its time I owned one, but I have no idea where to start with them as Ive only ever owned tarot decks!
What would you say is the best oracle deck in your opinion...???

xx
cm

stella01904

MM ~ My favorites, and the favorites of the few others I know who own them. are the Italian Sibillas: La Vera Sibilla, Sibilla Della Zingara, La Magica Sibilla, Sibilla 800, Sibilla Originale. The 36 card Petit Lenormand is also very good, and better known than the Sibillas. Why don't you have a look around Alidastore or R. Somervilles site and see what YOU like? The you can ask others what their experiences with it have been. My favorite non-Tarot decks aren't even made for sale in the US, but there is one very good non-Tarot oracle that you can find in your own local bookstore and not have to wait for it to be shipped from overseas. That's the Druid Animal Oracle, it comes with a wonderful book and spread cloth and the artwork is beautiful. It's also very accurate and user-friendly, to know it is to love it. BB, Stella

September Pixie

one of my favorite oracles is the Froud Faerie's Oracle.. there is even a study group here to get you started :) or.. a lot of people say that Osho Zen is much more of an oracle than a tarot.. I would strongly recommend that one too.. and though I didn't find a study group about it here, there is a daily draw..

I'd recommend you look through the decks you can find images of, and decide what you can and can't read. Hope that helps :)

purple_scorp

Hello cm,

*purple_scorp rubs her pinchers with glee

So, you want a recommendation for an Oracle deck. Come, sit, have a cuppa with me.

I have some of the decks already mentioned - *Osho Zen Tarot and Lenormand. Here are some other decks that I have worked with and can recommend:

Titania’s Fortune Cards (a modern adaptation of Lenormand’s deck), I bought for AUS$20. We have a kind of study group going with weekly draws:

Lenormand/Titania 1
Lenormand/Titania 2
Lenormand/Titania 3
Lenormand/Titania 4

You may also be interested in this deck, which I bought for AUS$15 Enlightenment Pack.

There is also another deck by the same author called the Love Pack (I bought for AUS$12). It is particularly excellent for relationship questions, or for finding out whether the querent is open to a relationship if they are already not in one. The ATF review should be published within the next week or so.

Soul cards I & II. I don't have them but they are shown on the website. I participated in an ATF project using them.

*Osho Zen Tarot, as Nina suggested, is more like an Oracle than a tarot deck. It is definitely a deck that you can read intuitively. We have a daily draw for this deck. It is listed in the Study Group but is not active (though I would be happy to participate in its reactivation).

The same artist worked on Tao Oracle and it is on my wishlist.

In addition to card decks, you may like to try something like Runes, as it’s quite good fun to create your own.

I’m happy to expand on any of the above if you require further information.

cheers

purple_scorp

Chronata

Hiya Chubby Mummy!

My question is...how would you like to use an oracle deck?

Do you want to do large spreads and readings...effectively using it like a tarot? (the Sibilias are good for this! As are the Lenormand, and the Tao oracle)

Do you want something that can quickly answer a question?
(the Answer Deck is a good beginner oracle...as are any Doreen Virtue decks)

Or something that you just use for one card daily draws to get a feel for the day? (Something like The Faerie Oracle, or the Medicine Cards are great for this application!)

Or something to use alongside Tarot decks in spreads? (The Psycards and the Madame Endora cards work very well for this!)

And then there is a question of how do you want to interpret the spreads?

Some oracles (like the Soul cards, or Dream cards) are great for highly intuitive readings, or meditative readings...

While other Oracles are great for that "Fortune Cookie" aspect...to tell you instantly what you want to know...

My favorite oracle at the moment is still the Madame Endora cards...not only beautifully illustrated... but great for both intuitive and "fortune cookie" like readings!

September Pixie

Oh my, how could I have forgotten the Madame Endora cards?! I'd definately recommend them for ANYONE... they have meanings written right on the cards but in a non-distracting way and they surly can be used for your own meanings as well.. i prefer to dig a little deeper in them using colors and symbols as added meanings but you don't have to do that :) they are as simple or as deep as you'd like.

WooMonkey

I can wholeheartedly recommend either of the Sacred Geometry Oracles (Greer or Hart) if you have leanings in that direction.

:)

FantasyWorld

WooMonkey said:
I can wholeheartedly recommend either of the Sacred Geometry Oracles (Greer or Hart) if you have leanings in that direction.

:)

The one by Hart is gorgeous!!! I've wanted that one for a long time!!!

Edited to add link:

Here is a link with some pics of Harts Sacred Geometry
http://www.francenehart.com/index.html

miss_apples

Doreen Virtues "Healing with the Angels" cards I think are good for the oracle card beginner :)