Who knows of a Herb for naughty cats.....?

Phoenix Rising

Can someone tell me of a herb that will deter my old moggy from peeing in 3 certain places in the house? Although one of them the main one is in the toilet.
I've had to have steam cleaners and sanitisers a few times because of that old fluff ball. It's 9 lives has gone into debit with all the times I've threatened to ring it's neck.

huredriel

Don't know about herbs, but have you tried black pepper? Lots of it!!!

Phoenix Rising

Hi huredriel

No I haven't tried anything yet, but I will try it! Thanx

lunalafey

I hear that Cyanne pepper too.
It's not an herb- but H2O in a squite gun works :D...unfortunately you have to catch them in the act.
Is your cat fixed?

FaeryGodmother

As far as I know orange peel works best for convincing naughty cats not to pee somewhere. Apparently they either can't stand the smell or think that someone else got there first. Anyway, thats my suggestion.

Good luck
FGM

Phoenix Rising

Yes my cat is fixed, I've had her for 9 years and no kittens, she was the neighbours cat before that, but adopted herself to my family.
Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

HudsonGray

Orange peel, grapefruit peel or lemon peel work best if you keep them fresh (every 4 days or so, they really hate the citrus oils). Limes & tangerine don't have the higher concentration of oils in the peel so they don't work as well.

If it's stress related, "Feliway" is a great cat pheromone to calm down anxious cats but check around for pricing. I was looking at the 75ml size bottle online which was $18 and the pet store had it for $35! A little goes a very long way. The liquid spray is better value than the diffuser.

Otherwise I've used a cleaner called 'dogtergent' that takes all the smell out of a carpet if the pet went the wrong place, because vinegar or soap and water just won't remove all the odors.

Is it a full bladder's worth each time? Or is it little dribbles? If it's little bits, you'll have to check for a bladder infection, cats who have those can't help where they go and use places outside the litter box because they get frustrated that they can't relieve the problem with the box. The only way to stop that kind of problem will be with antibiotics. It's not the cat's fault in this case.

Phoenix Rising

Orange peel, grapefruit peel or lemon peel work best if you keep them fresh (every 4 days or so, they really hate the citrus oils). Limes & tangerine don't have the higher concentration of oils in the peel so they don't work as well.

yes it certainly is a full bladder. I will try this, because I do have a orange disinfectant, I'll give it a good spray. Thankyou all.

huredriel

I'd get your cat down the vets anyway, just for a general check up. At 9 they're classed as senior so it could be something that is to do with age. My cats are now coming up 12 (though they're still babies to me :) ) and one has a problem related to age in cats. At least that way you're mind will be put at ease.

Anyway, fingers crossed for a successful outcome!!!

x Huredriel

Bean Feasa

Orange essential oil is good too, Phoenix Rising - I use it to stop my new leather sofas from being used as scratching posts. A small drop rubbed on the seat of the loo and maybe around the base on the floor should do the trick.