You can't have one!!!

Rosanne

Yesterday, after a hellish week, I went to my favourite store( practically the only one ) where I can get tarot decks and other like products. I went to centre myself and refresh and to purchase a Marseillles Deck.I told the lady who owns the store want I wanted. "I want a reproduction Marseilles Deck,could you show me the varients you can source?" Her response was totally unexpected."You can only get one sort" she screeched at me. I said ohhh really? She then went into a long bitter dialogue as to why there was only one which included statements like..Los scarabeo has been bought out by LLewellyn and they have the only one its this one as banged the poor AncientTarot de Marseilles down. I said "no not that one, I want a reproduction maybe a convers or the US Games one." "This is the ONLY ONE YOU CAN GET THERE ARE NO OTHERS DID YOU NOT HEAR ME!!!" SO I went calmly into a dialogue about how I was on this wonderful forum and people had said there were several different repos and I wanted a reworked one because I found The Ancient one somewhat ugly. She then shouted at me (the store had come to a complete standstill) "I suppose you want cats or bats or vampires or any of those ones that have been popular lately." With as much dignity as I could muster I said I would rather you did'nt heap your maladjustments on my head, could I please have the US games catalogue,the LLewellyn catalogue and any other Tarot catologues in your possesion and I will scan for myself. The poor conflicted woman told me "No". So I left.What to do Now? I do not buy on the internet and anyway is she right?

huredriel

What an awful awful woman. I'm surprised you managed to keep your composure in the face of such rudeness. You should be proud of how you handled the situation. I'm afraid I'm new so I wouldn't know where to buy apart from local shops or the internet, but good luck in your search.

x Huredriel

Little Baron

What an awful experience.

I live in England, so can not help with where else you can buy a Marseilles from physically. I do actually use the 'Ancient Tarot of Marseilles' as my main reading deck right now and like it a lot (I think we are getting aquainted nicely) but I also have the Grimaud. I can only think that maybe you could look through a phone book and ring around and see whether somewhere else has a Marseilles deck that is in a distance you can get to. It's a shame you do not shop over the internet as that would be an easier option. Have you thought of trading for a Marseille on here. Maybe someone may want to trade as the Marseille is not everyone's cup of tea.

Let us know how you get on and best of luck. Sorry I could not be much help.

Yabs

aneski

I would definitely complain about her to the store owner (unless she was!).

I also agree with Yaboot about looking for a trade here in the forums.

Little Baron

To add, I inherrited my Grimaud Marseilles from a kind member here, who had two copies. I posted a message in the trade session and he sent me his spare copy for free. It's always worth giving it a try. Let others know what decks you have that you no longer want and maybe someone that is after them may have an unused Marseille. Good Luck!

Yabs

September Pixie

First of all, I would contact Jeannette @ http://www.tarotgarden.com she is also a member in this forum.. she has tracked things down for me I thought was darned near impossible! Once you find what you are looking for.. I'd post asking for suggestions.. about where to buy or whom to contact.. I buy quite a bit.. (1/2 if not more of my collection from Jeannette, the other half were trades or ebay sales)..

As for the woman... I would DEFINITELY write or phone the store owner and tell them about your experience.. and I think I would take my business elsewhere. A business is a business no matter what personal beliefs or reservations you may have about what you are selling.. a product is made to be sold, you the buyer PAY for their services (store front, up keep, inventory, etc) .. and I would demand that a business I am paying into would at least show me a little respect.. I have never come across this kind of thing in stores, thank heavens.. but i do think that its important for people who work in this kind of business to be polite and somewhat informed of what you are asking... in fact informed isn't even the issue here, its being polite and respect... I wouldn't let her get away with this... that is the most outrageous thing I have heard in a long time. Sorry you had to experience this :(

Majecot

Wow!! Rosanne.. your good, I am sure I would not have been able to keep my composure like that... and I am pretty sure I would have asked her what drugs she was on that day at the very least!!

I pretty much do only internet shopping. Suggest a trade on this forum would be the only other thing I could think of for you. I would have difficulty spending my hard earned cash in that store after such abuse.

Rosanne

I forgot to mention, that outside the store, the tears behind my eyes poured forth and I need to go pee from shock. I HATE confrontation. It was not bravery that made me cool, it was fear. And I will try to trade. Regards Rosanne

Lillie

Poor you! What a horrible thing to happen. Like you I hate confrontation, and I can imagine that in your place I would have burst into tears right there in the shop.

She shouldn't be allowed to treat you, or anyone like that. You should complain to whoever owns the shop, if you can bring yourself to do that, I know it's hard to do.
If you can, the sooner the better. There might even be security footage of her behaving like that.

Whatever her problem was she had no right to take it out on you.

If there are no more shops near you, and you really don't want to buy over the net (I do, but I send postal orders etc, not account details, for security) Perhaps you could find a mail order catalogue and order it through the post.

It's what people used to do before the net was invented!
:D

Tarotphelia

Rosanne said:
I forgot to mention, that outside the store, the tears behind my eyes poured forth and I need to go pee from shock. I HATE confrontation. It was not bravery that made me cool, it was fear. And I will try to trade. Regards Rosanne

I think you will get your Marseilles somehow, and it will mean much more to you because you fought for it .