water damage

Utuku

Are any of the stones below damaged by water? (They're all pretty much polished, if that affects anything) It was just a little rain... Being almost the full moon, I put my stones outside last night on the windowsill, and it rained! Being Arizona, even when it's really cloudy, it rarely rains, so I wasn't expecting it.

Sodalite
Amethyst
Aventurine
Rose Quartz (it got run over by a car and has a bunch of little scratches and dents if that affects anything..)
Tiger's Eye
Leopard's Skin (I think that's what it's called... swirly dark red and whitish with dark spots?)
Hemitite (or possibly the stone that looks very much like it.. I can't recall its name)
Red Jasper
Tourquoise

I looked through the forum but couldn't find anything about this; I know they're there somewhere. ^^; Any help would be appreciated though! And maybe just for future reference, what kinds of stones *would* be damaged by rain water?

September Pixie

these are all in polished form? if so..

Sodalite - nope, won't harm it
Amethyst - nope, won't harm it
Aventurine - nope, won't harm it
Rose Quartz - nope, won't harm it
Tiger's Eye - nope, won't harm it
Leopard's Skin - not sure as I don't have one but most jasper is ok
Hemitite - nope, won't harm it
Red Jasper - nope, won't harm it
Tourquoise - not sure as I don't have one but I think your ok..

Most stones you need to look for are kind of clay or chalk like in appearence or really clear stones that can turn cloudy.

Stregaverde

Rain is good!

I leave my stones out in the rain all the time, especially during a nice full moon. They love it!

The only ones I don't leave out like this are calcite, lapis, apatite and jade, although I've only had problems with salt water with them, not freshwater, but I play it safe. As September Pixie said, everything that you listed will be just fine. :)

lunalafey

Chinese Flourite is one that I can think of that would not be happy with water. Chinese florite is a mix of flourite and pyrite- water seperates them.
Turquiouse I would not leave in water for too long- it's a more brittle stone and the water absorbtion with drastic temp. changes between day and night might crack the stone.

All the other stones you mentioned will not be effected by water. Most that you mention are in the silica family.

As mentioned those that are light weight, clay, powdery are ones you want to keep out of the rain, as well as those that are flaky, like micas and lepidolite.

Utuku

Okay, thank you guys very much! ^^ I was pretty sure that at least most of them were okay, but I wanted to make sure.. Thank you!

LadyofDreams

dont think this was mentioned in any above...

selenite doesnt like water either

always,

~lady~

rabble

I have a few things that don't like water, and most aren't shiny.

Selenite, and possibly some gypsum crystals, might be some of the few shiny stones that wouldn't like it.

cait_inthe_moon

what about sandstone? I have a small chunk and its getting a dirty looking.. I want to wash it off, but I'm scared to.

Utuku

Sandstone I know about! :D We have a bunch in the front yard.

DO NOT SOAK IT. It dissolves. Just get a brush (like a toothbrush you don't actually use, or something with bristles like that) and just brush it really well. If you really need to, getting a cloth damp (like the it's-almost-but-not-quite-dry kind of damp) and going over it would be okay, I think.. But at least with the sandstone in my yard, water makes it change colors. And not exactly evenly either.. so be very, very careful if you use water to clean it.

Kyrielle

Turquoise you wouldn't want to soak because it's porous, but a little rainwater or a quick rinse is ok.

Kyrielle