PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use Firefox as a web browser?

Stregaverde
07-02-2005, 03:51
I just downloaded it, and am loving it so far. All the pages that I visit look fine, and it seems to have some real bonuses over Internet Explorer, anti-spyware being a big one. Wondering if anyone here has any experience with it.

Gwynne
07-02-2005, 04:07
I just downloaded it, and am loving it so far. All the pages that I visit look fine, and it seems to have some real bonuses over Internet Explorer, anti-spyware being a big one. Wondering if anyone here has any experience with it.

I have it and I love it. There are some pages that I have to use Internet Explorer for though, they just don't work with any other browser. But that's not the browsers fault, it's the programmer.

Imagemaker
07-02-2005, 05:02
I and all my family (multiple engineers) use only Firefox. Can be tailored to your needs, stops all popups, and is fast. So much better than Internet Explorer!!

Moonbow
07-02-2005, 05:05
I have been using Mozilla Firefox since last year and I am totally happy with it.

At the time I was having BIG problems with IE with pop ups, unwanted taskbars and in the end we had to wipe the hard disk. Since then I have not used IE and will not again.

PS, nice avatar Stregaverde

contradiction
07-02-2005, 08:07
i used firefox for several months, but then i changed isp's, and they have their system set to only work with ie, (they tell you that you can use another browser if you re-configure it). but no matter what i did after about a week all i could get was an error msg, and i would have to re-configure something else about it. so i went back to ie. firefox was much faster, than ie, and i loved the tabbed browsing, i multi-task everything, but i haven't given up, i will beat their system yet.

souljourney
07-02-2005, 09:08
I've had it downloaded...um I wanted to get something that IE wouldn't allow me to do. But I haven't used it since.
I'm going to give it a try and see why everyone loves it. Well other than the fact it isn't Microsoft is good enough reason to like it I suppose.

EricTheHermit
07-02-2005, 13:37
Firefox is a great little program, and in my opinion, the next best thing to IE. Over the years, I've experimented with other browsers, like Netscape Navigator / Communicator and Opera, and they were all bloated and clunky.

I use Firefox as my secondary browser. Whenever a site or page screws up in IE, (which seems to happen more often these days) I bring up Firefox and have no problems with the site or page.

Now that the Firefox people have written so many plugins for their browser and are writing more every day, I may soon drop IE altogether.

- Eric the Hermit

augursWell
08-02-2005, 03:52
I use only Firefox at my "day job". The only time I use IE is if I think the website will require it, like the Microsoft update site. Even then Firefox would probably work with a plugin. Still I let IE do its thing every now and then so it won't feel neglected. ;)

ocho8s
08-02-2005, 04:21
thanks for posting this thread
I just downloaded firefox and it is so much better than IE, now off to read the support pages to get more out of it.................

Bendiciones
Anaoly

Stregaverde
09-02-2005, 04:02
I'm really liking this browser! The Tab feature took a little getting used to, but it's so handy!

Thanks for the replies, all!

Flavio
09-02-2005, 04:31
I'm using it and like everyone I love the Tab and downloading features! I haven't had time to study more about this program but I will to get the most out of it.

Strange2
09-02-2005, 12:07
I've been using Firefox on my home computer ever since the 1.0 release, and greatly prefer it over Internet Explorer.

The one thing I noticed with Firefox and the Aeclectic Forum is that it does not display the "message text preview/popup" when you hover over a message thread title, like IE does. Actually, I prefer that behavior (don't care for the message preview).

I love the Firefox tabbed interface, the add-in extensibility, and configurability.

DragonLover
09-02-2005, 12:49
as far as im concerned, IE is garbage compared to Mozilla. My mom introduced me to it on our regular PC, and when i got my laptop 6 months ago i downloaded it right away. Blocks all pop ups and runs sooo smoothly. the only problem is, some sites arnt compatible with it just yet. other than that though, its just brilliant. and when i have to go back to IE for certain sites, its sooo terrible compared to being spoiled by firefox!

TemperanceAngel
09-02-2005, 12:59
YES! Since my old computer crashed and the computer doctor built a new hard drive for me, he installed Firefox and said don't use anything else :)

Shalott
09-02-2005, 14:03
I've had it since 1.0 came out, and use the Thunderbird Mail client. I haven't had any pages that won't load, which make is superior to Netscape and Mozilla. IE is years behind the whole family...no tabs, only recently came with a pop up blocker, and yeah all those toolbars, some I don't even remember loading and then can't get rid of. Pointless. SP2 automatically updates so I don't think I even need to open IE for that. I don't think I've opened IE since I got 1.0.

Athara
09-02-2005, 22:17
I just downloaded Firefox again and I like it.

There's just one problem. I'm used to Tabbed Browsing with Crazybrowser, and in Crazybrowser you can drag and drop the tabs to place them in a different order.

Does anyone know a plugin that enables this in Firefox? I found one, MiniT, but it doesn't work...

Thanks!

Athara

Woodsong
10-02-2005, 01:45
I started using Firefox with 0.9.2, then upgraded to 1.0 when it came out. The upgrade didn't work that well for me -- 1.0 would break or "hang" at times ... or would just start responding very slowly. It also kept losing my "default profile" -- telling me that it was already open and that I couldn't use it. Problem was that all my bookmarks are stored in the profile -- everytime it locked one up, I lost all my bookmarks.

I finally pulled 1.0 off and put 0.9.2 back on and am much more pleased.

souljourney
10-02-2005, 02:06
I began using it a few days ago and have been using it until now.
It hangs up A LOT. That gets really old really fast. I don't know if I need to update it or what.
The tab thing is nice, but not getting hung up is better...and IE seems to not hang up.

Flavio
10-02-2005, 08:23
Just discovered the website of my bank will not work with Firefox because all the security they have was designed to work with IE or Netscape, besides that small incident I keep enjoying Firefox.

Stregaverde
10-02-2005, 08:35
I haven't had problems with it hanging up at all--keeping my fingers crossed. And lots of sites that were getting goofy with IE (spyware? I don't know why) are just perfect with Firefox.

AmberWolf
10-02-2005, 10:02
I love the tabbed browsing. And that it is less attacked by spywares too.

I use Firefox as my "every day" browser, keeping IE as backup to use only for websites that require IE.

souljourney, have you tried getting the whole Mozilla program then, instead of just Firefox? might solve your problem.... not sure.

contradiction
10-02-2005, 10:12
souljourney sounds like the proxie server is set up wrong. that is the problem i have had w/my isp, they keep changing their proxie setting on me, but i have just about got that worked out. pm me if you want and i will help you check it.

Teranar
10-02-2005, 15:01
I've used Firefox back when it was called firebird. :P I've never had ANY problems with it hanging up, and I get text when I hover over things, and haven't had any sites that won't work right with it. Maybe I'm special, or maybe its cause I mess with its setting extensively and downloaded flash and java for it,

LilRed
10-02-2005, 15:14
Hello,
I am testing out Firefox for my own use and then letting my dad know what I think about it. lol. I am running Windows ME which Firefox doesn't particularly care for, took me a little bit to get the default icon to show up in my task bar. Had some issues when I saved things off the internet but I have just about all of that taken care of. I love how if I do not have all the plugins/applets/etc. for a web page how it will tell me so that I can then fix it.
I have used netscape, IE, AOL, Opera and now this and I like, my entire web page design II class seems to like it as well. We shall see.
Just my two cents,
LilRed

Raven Reed
08-03-2005, 21:01
I switched to Firefox when (I think) someone hacked into my system and popped up IE windows faster than I could close them. It was amazing, but not in a good way. I had to shut off my computer. Since then, I only use IE on sites that don't support any other browser. I use Netscape before I use IE.

retrokat
08-03-2005, 23:46
I use Firefox, although there are still some annoying glitches - like the scroll-wheel on my mouse not working, and some sites just won't work at all in anything but IE - usually because they were made with the same company's web design software that 'optimizes' for IE.

The tabs take some getting used to, especially as I still flip back to IE several times a day due to the above. I'm so glad there's another real contender back in the Browser Wars though :)

Note: It's still worth having a firewall, regardless of what browser you use. If you're not sure about the difference between virus protection, a firewall and a spyware remover, I've made a basic page for my students on the subject that may be useful to others here: http://katsclass.com/protection.htm

temperlyne
09-03-2005, 00:39
I'm a mac user and occasionally run into sites that don't work with my browser (safari). Although there are some sites that don't work on either safari or firefox, I've found that most do work with firefox. It's so very annoying when sites only work with internet explorer....

Sulis
12-03-2005, 06:10
Been using Firefox for about a week now, so far I like it, especially the tabbed browsing system.

I think it was the anti-spyware stuff that really prompted us to switch from IE - no complaints from me so far.

Love

Sulis xx

WolfyJames
12-03-2005, 06:44
I think it was the anti-spyware stuff that really prompted us to switch from IE - no complaints from me so far.

Yup! That is indeed why many give in, ultimatly, and I think people may come to realise as well that IE is not that good after all.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-22_11-5455092.html

When I started using Opera, my mother was making fun of me (she's taurus and very stubborn) and telling me Opera, or any alternative browsers for that matter, couldn't be better than IE. I mentionned the extras and she told me she could live without them. I told her she could try it to see by herself, I installed Opera but she did nothing but freak. It's when she got tired of getting attacked and hijacked (and seeing I was free from these problems) that she told me she wanted to try it again. This time, I only brought Firefox, because of her bad reaction to Opera. She tried Firefox and didn't like it, so I made her try again Opera and she liked it this time, probably because this time she was open to it. Now, most of the time she uses an alternative browser. If my mother can change, anyone can. ;)

dragonsmistress
23-03-2005, 03:30
I also Use Mozilla, I have used it for a year now and have no complaints, I still keep IE just in case, and there a couple glitches with Yahoo mail and chat, you just don't have the html and emotiocon options, but you can still use the mail program