Happy Birthday, Pixie!

Scion

Yep... how the years do roll around. Corinne Pamela Colman Smith was born on this day back in 1878 in Pimlico... and if it wasn't for her the landscape of Tarot would look extremely different artistically, philosophically, and culturally. Like it or not, her deck is a monolithic presence.

She died frustrated by her stymied career as an artist; if only she could have seen what she had wrought!

Little did she know, and long may she be remembered. Happy birthday, Pamela...

Scion

Fulgour

Happy (Happy) Birthday!

Scion said:
She died frustrated by her stymied career as an artist...
No she did not. She lived an independent woman residing
as she chose, happily in luxurious seaside Bude, Cornwall.

Pam kept to herself ~ and remained active and involved.
C'mon... frustrated? Save that for "poor" old A. E. Waite.

tarotbear

shared an apartment ...

You think Pixie might have been gay?

Fulgour

She also kept a room for visiting priests.
Do you think they might have been gay?

tarotbear

according to Kaplan ...

" Despite occasional art shows and favorable reviews by critics, the continued slow sales of her works and rejections by commercial publishers left her deeply disappointed.

Smith never married. She had no known heirs except for an elderly female companion who shared her flat. She died on September 18, 1951, penniless and obscure. Much of her work has never been found."

She well could have found a 'benefactor', someone who could pay the bills and put food on the table when she could not. That doesn't prove she was or wasn't gay - only practical! LOL!

Fulgour

Kaplan is such a font of useful information, we should
quote him whenever we want to know something. :)
But then, how come he is silent on the fate of Waite?
What ever happened to Mr. Mumbles? Kind of weird...

Scion

Another happy, happy one for you, Pamela...

I still wish you could have known what you'd wrought. :)

Scion

Rosanne

I celebrated the anniversary of Pixies Birthday by having a large overflowing bowl of White Roses on my table. Her work has been in my life for 32 years, almost daily, taking two years off for interuptions I figure that is 7950 days; thats longer than most relationships other than with my parents and my children! She sure has had a big thumb print on my life :D I am a better person for having used Tarot and her cards have been the blueprint in the main. Happy Birthday to wherever your spirit resides Pixie!! ~Rosanne

tarotbear

Dear Pamela -

I hope to be doing as well when I get to be 128 years old!

Any plans for reincarnating soon?