Journals: have one? describe yours, advice to others

seapearls

I'm starting a journal project. I don't have one for my cards so I'm making one today. I have this obcession with 3 ring binders, colored pens and sleves. LOL Thats how I made my Grimoire too. If anyone knows of any tarot type simple images that would look good on homemade stationery let me know. Anyways...

Do you have one, why or why not?

What type is yours: physical book or binder, floppy disk, online somewhere?

What do you like to keep in yours, any specific sections?

Any advice to other?

Yes I love posting questions. lol

Grizabella

I have a couple of spiral notebooks I've been using but today I'm going out to get a 3-ring binder to put in printouts from AT and bigger things like that that I get online.

tarotbear

writing it down is important!

Journals are cool things but they serve different purposes, so you may want one for just the cards alone where you record your impressions, things you picked up from others, comments, etc. Stuff that pertains only to the cards as an info/reference type of journal. I saw a blank book in Barnes & Noble on Sunday where there was a different tarot card in the bottom corner of each page - can't remember the name but it was in the journals section. A three-ring binder and plastic sleeves works well for this type of Journal.

You may wish to keep a journal of your readings separte from one for the cards. This can also be a 3-ring binder jobbie, but I usually use a bound, lined journal for this work. You should record ALL your readings - expermental ones, ones for yourself, for others.

Milamber

Yes. First off, despite being considered a bit odd for a guy, I've always kept a journal. The entries were always a month or so apart, but I liked to keep track of where I've been. Doing the same for the tarot just seemed natural. It also gives me an easy reference to old readings if I want to do a bit of study.

I have a fullsize notepad style one. Spiral bound, lined pages of normal, letter-size paper. I also, however, keep a collection of individual loose-leaf pages. Each time I do a reading, I write my thoughts as they come to me -- that's how I read. I keep those pages together for reference as well, sometimes copying more important readings into the notepad.

For a while I wrote individual card information, but that became tedious and less than helpful to me. I found I was better just taking the cards as they came, rather than trying to learn them too much in advance. Most of my entries now are either readings, notes on feedback I've received, and thoughts that have occurred to me regarding the cards -- things I've learned.

Any advice to other?
Write how you want to write. You aren't me, nor are you any other single person here. We each have our own traits, and our own methods of thought. Decide what you feel is important enough to write, and do so. Also, never forget to read back into the journal once in a while. It serves little purpose if it isn't read, after all. ;)

seapearls

my journal

Well so far for my Tarot Journal I have a 3 ring binder, I printed off a nice cover sheet to slip into the front clear cover of the book. I have some clear slip covers I'm going to print divider pages for them for the different sections of the book. Now All I have to do it just come up with the sections:

daily one card readings I do for myself
all other readings I do
diary type entries for feedback from others I've done readings for
misc card or deck notes
info I've printed off the internet

also a deck log page of decks I own and when I got them

VGimlet

I have four journals, including my personal journal. I am searching for a binder with a fabric or leather cover for a tarot journal - haven't found "it" yet. I have spiral notebooks with different color covers for everything. My general tarot journal is a special heavy-duty spiral notebook from Barns & Noble.
In my general tarot notebook I write down reviews of decks, spreads I make up, thoughts I have about tarot. In the back I have a complete deck inventory. Just like my personal journal, I have bits of things taped or pasted in that relate to my entries. In addition I have one notebook for the deck I'm studying this year, and another where I write down my readings.
If I were to ever find that perfect binder, I would have separate sections for spreads, reviews, thoughts, readings, etc.
Any advice to other?
Avoid having three tarot notebooks, two would be enough. :D (I am just too cheap to waste paper) I think a binder would be better - I am just picky, looking for the perfect one.

Chara

seapearls said:

Any advice to other?

I bought mine at Barnes & Noble. It's an actual journal, with tarot cards printed on it (I'm about to post some pictures of it on my livejournal), and I bought it 'cause it was on sale. ;)

I'm amazingly lazy, and I only write down readings I want to remember for later, new deck readings, spreads, and follow up on readings, when I can. I decided to start keeping track after doing a reading for a friend and being asked about it five months later. It's much easier than trying to remember if that was the four of swords or ten of swords...

If you write down readings you do, I'd suggest writing which deck you used. Sometimes I want to go back and look at the cards again, and it can be hard to remember which deck it was if I don't write it down. Plus it's good for reference.

dadsnook2000

Journal in my computer

I'm switching my journal over to my computer as it has a significant advantage over a paper/written journal. I'm using software, "treeDBnotes" which allows me to write much like in a word processor but allows me to organize headings/chapters, sub-chapters and pages in a hierarchal manner (as in the explorer list within Windows L.H. panel). Using this electronic journal, I can copy and paste from anything here on AT or another site and save a lot of typing/entry work. Dave.

snowy25

I use a jurnal for readings for myself, one for readings for others and I have a blanc book for spreads.

I have blancs and binders.
For every deck I study I have a different notebook with a colour that suits the deck.
I do my notes alsow in my jurnal.

Snowy25

tinkerbell

my journal

my journal is a spiral bound a4 size notebook with a flower designed cover and a stiff plastic top page.
i don't do sections, i just tend to write my readings in once or twice a month and i keep it nearby to jot down things i come accross here on the posts--so every couple of pages of readings will be interspersed with a page which just has various cards (in no particular order), and then some simple insights. i really enjoy looking back at these and because they show a different person's viewpoint, i get a broader selection of possible meanings per card.
in the past, if i saw something really inspired on one of the posts, you could bet it'd take hours to find it again if i wanted to write it in my journal "later on" so that's why i keep it handy now-it saves a lot of hassle!!
oh, and i always date my entries, write down the deck used and if anything significant happens i go back and update the original reading.
having a journal is amust in my opinion- i've only been learning since august and it amazes me how far i've come when i look back.
i also downloaded thirteen's basic card meanings when i became a subscriber, and they have their very own file! they come in very handy (along with my trusty tarot books!
love tink xx