Howlite

Deszroo

Hi...I have a howlite pendant I am just starting to wear. I have it on neckace made of Hemitite with tiger eye. I got Howlite reading about it helping with bone, teeth as well as other things. I was told it is genuine Howlite...yet I wonder sometimes about "genuine" vs water downs of "genuine". How to use Howlite for healing bone/gum/teeth problems...put on corresponding chakras or on the face/jaw area?. Have any of you worked with Howlite?.

Deszroo

Majecot

Hi Dez

Howlite in it's natrual state is white with grey veins running through it. Many stores will seel howlite that is dyed blue or turquoise. I personally perfer it White. When it is highly polished it is quite beautiful.

I actually looked in my books for something on Howlite but nothing was listed for it. Thank goodness for the internet :)

"Snowy white, sometimes with brown or black veins. Rarely clear. Fosters appreciation of beauty, inspiration, creativity and artistic expression.
White. Gently absorbs and uplifts stress, tension, anxiety, emotional intensity, etc. Quietly loving, calming. Works with the heart center, bringing greater gentleness, patience, tact. Helps bones, teeth, and other calcium aspects of body."

Perhaps this stone is a bit under-rated?

Bluemanticore

I've got a piece of blue-dyed howlite that I unfortunately bought without realizing it had been dyed. I still don't know why I bought it, because even then it felt to me like it had been polluted, corrupted. It still feels that way to me. I can hardly stand to look at it, much less hold it. Anyone happen to know if there is some way to get rid of the dye to purify this poor stone?

Emeraldgirl

White Howlite is so beautiful. I have a piece and it just has a real pure, relaxing, calming feel to it.

Not really sure how to rid the dye from yours Bluemanticore most dyes woudl penitrate the veins on the stone and stay there regardless. Maybe you could sell/trade it for a white pieceor another crystal that calls you.

Gemstones and crystals have been treated in different ways for thousands of years. There are some treatments that are accepted by the gem and crystal industry as standard and therefore not really publicised to the general public the dying of howlite while not one that's accepted it is one that is known by the people selling it and should be disclosed at the time of purchase.

Majecot

Bluemanticore I have a piece too, bought it for unknown reasons also, because I do not like the dyed pieces... like you I found out after the fact. I have often thought of trying to soak it to get rid of the dye... since I do not like the piece, what harm can it do right?

maybe I will try that today.. I will let you know.

Ruby7

Rubbing alcohol will remove the surface dye quite easily. Using a piece of cotton dipped in alcohol, try a small area of the stone first to see what happens. The dye may or may not have completely penetrated the stone. Either way I'm sure the stone will feel quite relieved.

Ruby7

Majecot

thanks Ruby7, I had not thought of rubbing alcohol. I will give that a try. Poor little dirty stone.

Ruby7

I found out about dyed howlite the hard way. I was making an elaborate beaded necklace with a handmade gold filagree clasp for an assignment at school. I wanted the colours of the beads to be turquoise, coral and royal blue. since I couldn't afford lapis lazuli, turquoise and coral, I was excited to find howlite in a royal blue and turquoise colour.

Imagine how excited I felt when I finished the beautiful necklace, wore it (to see how it sat on the collar bone) and within an hour of wearing it had a dark blue ring around my neck. I couldn't sell the necklace like that and was glad I found out before doing so. The poor necklace is probably still in the vault at my jewellery school (the gold belonged to the school and I chose not to buy it---school paid me for the beads)

Ruby7

Majecot

Oh my!! That had to have been a shocker.

Well I am sad to say, rubbing alcohol is not working on this stone. They must have used some really good dye on it.