Sensitivities

DollieAnna

Hello all.
I have a very strange problem. Ever since I became reiki attuned, all of my senses are extremely heightened...enough to bother me. My skin is sensitive now (excema)(shirts hurt, sock and underwear have to be worn inside out) my eyesight... I have to wear glaucoma glasses even tho I don't have it. (light hurts) my hearing is acute, and now...I smell everything and it is making me sick! This has been happening for 2 years...
Does anyone else have these problems?
Is there an herb or a crystal or anything that will lower my sensitivities. I know most ppl want the opposite...but I can't stand much more of this! Help?

PS I often have insomnia.

The Dreamer

Hi, Dollie Anna.
I don't know about an herb or crystal for this, but I have had some of the problems you described, though not constantly.

I find that relaxation is very important, and avoiding excessive exposure to strong sensory input. You need to get regular periods of deep relaxation, and try always to sleep in total darkness.
Avoid chemical perfumes in soaps and other toiletries, and in detergents.
Find foods which do not smell as strong as others or make you sick (I've found that plain and lemon yogurt and spaghetti work well for me.)
If you feel yourself getting overstimulated, try to leave the situation or calm yourself while you are in it.
Soft clothing. Earplugs. Sunglasses, if need be. You need to treat your body gently, and listen to what it tells you. Have one safe room which has no strong smells and which will get totally dark to which you can go to recover, and do it whenever you need to.
After you have gotten enough relaxation to recover, reintroduce stronger sensations. I recommend rhythmic or relaxing music. In those times when you can handle stronger sensation, go for it, if your body seems to say it is ok.

I have not had any experience with reiki. You might want to talk to people who are knowledeable about reiki to help you understand what might be going on with that.

You are not alone. I believe that people's bodies can find a new balance after a period of upheaval. I hope that you will experience this.

I've found the book Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight to be useful.

The Dreamer

If you have to take herbs, you could try valerian or lemon balm.
I actually did use those, in the beginning. But I think it's important to try to somehow let your body eventually find its own equilibrium without that crutch.

Total darkness at night is very important, and that means getting rid of every little light source.

I found that dancing was very useful to me to burn off some of the excess energy in my system.
After about two and a half years, my senses started going back to normal. I still have to get regular relaxation, though.

DollieAnna

Thank you for answering!!!

Thanks for your replies. I have done all of these things...I'm still stuck. Most of my problem is at work. People wear stinky stuff. I smell them! Their shampoo, deoderant, cologne, BO everything. Even coffee...yuk.
I donot relax at all. I will try Lemon Balm...I've tried Valerian...Meybe I'll get the book too.

The Dreamer

I don't know how I would have recovered if I'd had a real job while this was going on with me. It would have been impossible. I really feel for you.

All I can say is, get the downtime whenever you can. Peppermints, mustard, and olives (I know it sounds weird) can be good for nausea caused by smells.
Lunch break in a smell free car with your face covered.

Sorry I listed things before which you're already doing. I want to emphasize that you need to really give your body the break that it needs or it will get worse.
That book isn't the greatest, but it's the only thing I've found yet about the subject of sensory overload.
I prefer lemon balm to valerian. Valerian tended to give digestive upset. Lemon balm's nice. It does work, but I had to take a pretty big dose of it.

The Dreamer

And you must relax. That is the key. Mantras, music, visualization- whatever gets you there, that's what you need. As regularly as possible.

DollieAnna

Oh, but thank you anyway dreamer! Don't feel bad!
Anyway, I have also ordered the book.
This has a name and I am not the only one!
Sensory Defensiveness...

Thank you so much!

prudence

If essential oils don't bother you, try bringing in your own smells. Lavender is very calming, spearmint and peppermint can help alleviate nausea, and they can help wipe out other people's smells/perfumes. Also eucalyptus is a great smell that erases other funky smells. If someone comes by your desk and they smell it up, just 3 drops in a bowl or even coffee mug on your desk and POOF that smell will be gone. mixing oils is also nice, lavender and eucalyptus together work well and can be calming, imho.
astrid

PS lavender can be put on the skin neat (undiluted) so under the nostrils is a good spot when you are away from your desk and must face the odors of others...

The Dreamer

That's a very thoughtful suggestion, Astrid, but essential oils are very strong smells in themselves.
Someone in this condition really needs to remove strong smells from the environment for a while, even natural ones.
The word aromatherapy used to make me cringe.
I couldn't even use hair conditioner. I had to use vinegar. At times even that was too strong. I had to use baking soda for deodorant and toothpaste.
Eventually I could reintroduce some natural smells. I found that orange and peppermint were the least offensive for me.
The whole idea of sensory overload is that your body is picking up too much, and amplifying it. Adding more to it does not help.

DollieAnna

Astrid O said:
If essential oils don't bother you, try bringing in your own smells. Lavender is very calming, spearmint and peppermint can help alleviate nausea, and they can help wipe out other people's smells/perfumes. Also eucalyptus is a great smell that erases other funky smells. If someone comes by your desk and they smell it up, just 3 drops in a bowl or even coffee mug on your desk and POOF that smell will be gone. mixing oils is also nice, lavender and eucalyptus together work well and can be calming, imho.
astrid

PS lavender can be put on the skin neat (undiluted) so under the nostrils is a good spot when you are away from your desk and must face the odors of others...
Hey Astrid...
I can try that...however, lavendar makes me sick! :( Spearmint and peppermint I can do! I am not sure about eucalyptus, but I will check it out.
Thank you!