PDA

View Full Version : Having Trouble uploading an Avatar

closrapexa
22-03-2005, 18:47
I'm trying to upload an avatar, and it doesn't seem to work. After working for a few minutes, I get an error page (server not found). Is this a problem with my computrt, is there a problem on the forum servers?

Fulgour
22-03-2005, 18:53
Is it a custom avatar from your computer picture files...
ie; do you select it from your documents using browse?

closrapexa
23-03-2005, 03:46
Its a custom Avatar from my computer

Lillie
23-03-2005, 08:14
Hello

I uploaded an avatar just yesterday.
I did not seem to have any problems.

At what point does it go wrong for you?

And also perhaps you could check a few things.

What format is the picture that you are trying to upload?
Mine was a .jpg, If your's is something different perhaps you might consider converting it to a .jpg.
Some formats, .bmp's especially are very large (in terms of kb) for the size of the actual picture.

how big is you picture. I think it needs to be 40 x 40 pixels. If it is larger than this you will need to resize it.

Both converting formats and resizing cam be done with simple graphics programs. Irfan view is very good. If you do not have something that can do this you could mail your pic to me and I can do it for you.

Also, is the picture on your computer where you think it is.
You might be telling it to look in the wrong place (easily done).

However, after saying all this, 'server not found' sounds like something different from any of the above.
Which is why I ask at what point does the problem occure.

I'm just going to go and look through the process again, to see if it gives me a clue to why it's giving you a problem.

Moongold
23-03-2005, 08:21
Greetings Closrapexa ~

I just saw this now and in the beginning used to have problems uploading, particularly from a dial up connection. It doesn't happen very much with broadband.

It sounds as though you have had a connection problem: "Server not Found". Are you in Israel? I ask because I have a sense that you may be and remember that Cielo has also spoken about difficulties in accessing the Forums from Israel. Maybe it is nothing, but it could be a problem with your ISP and also with the kind of connection you have.

The other problems often associated with uploading are the size of the files. I think avatars can only be 40 x 40 pixels and a fairly small file size which is stated on the forum software. I got tricked with this. Even though the icons were 40 x 40 they were still too large for upload. I think they have to be less that 3kb but I'll double check.

You might know some of this but I'll offer it anyway. When you size your avatar, use the save for web option. This will save it as a gif which is often smaller than a jpeg file and the software will show you how many kb the file is.

If your avatar is 40 x 40 pixels and 3kb or less in size you won't have a problem - unless, of course, your PC can't connect with the Forum server.

Not sure whether any of that is helpful but all the best.

Moongold

Lillie
23-03-2005, 08:30
Hi again.

I have just changed my avatar to check.

It still seems ok for me.

However I have just realised something.
I upload a picture that is stored on my own computer.

Is this what you are doing, or are you trying to upload one from a website?

Server not found seems to suggest the later, and that your computer cannot find the site where the picture is.

If this is the case, try a different picture.

Best of all, get a picture you like and save it onto your computer, then upload this as your avatar using the 'browse' function. (having made sure it is an ok format and size).

This certainly seems to work for me.
I hope it helps you.

FantasyWorld
05-12-2005, 11:02
ARG!!!!
This is so frustrating!
I'm trying to change my avatar but can't get the image smaller than 50x50, I'm using Kodak imaging which sucks anyway.....does anyone know other ways to edit the images or have any suggestions to get the image smaller?
Also, can it be a bmp or a tif because I can't get it to save as anything else, it doesn't give me any other save options.

Grigori
05-12-2005, 11:09
ARG!!!!
This is so frustrating!
I'm trying to change my avatar but can't get the image smaller than 50x50, I'm using Kodak imaging which sucks anyway.....does anyone know other ways to edit the images or have any suggestions to get the image smaller?
Also, can it be a bmp or a tif because I can't get it to save as anything else, it doesn't give me any other save options.

If you save it as is, as a bmp, and then re-open it in Paint, you can reduce it to 80% (i.e. 40 x 40) and then when you save you should be able to choose to save it as a jpeg.

Although I think bmp's work for avatars, but you may find the file is over the allowed amount with a bmp, where a jpeg will not be.

FantasyWorld
05-12-2005, 12:14
If you save it as is, as a bmp, and then re-open it in Paint, you can reduce it to 80% (i.e. 40 x 40) and then when you save you should be able to choose to save it as a jpeg.

Although I think bmp's work for avatars, but you may find the file is over the allowed amount with a bmp, where a jpeg will not be.

Ugh...still having trouble but your post is helpful and I'll keep trying.
Thanks similia:)

WhiteRaven
05-12-2005, 12:25
Ugh...still having trouble but your post is helpful and I'll keep trying.
Thanks similia:)

Post the pic here as you would do for a card image.....I'll resize it to 40X40 in Paintshop Pro and then post it for you again.....

FantasyWorld
05-12-2005, 12:43
Post the pic here as you would do for a card image.....I'll resize it to 40X40 in Paintshop Pro and then post it for you again.....

Well, the one I wanted was my youngest sons shadow..it's really neat. I realized though that using Kodak imaging that when I looked at it as a thumbnail it wasn't saving it as a thumbnail so the file is too large to upload here.AHHHH!!!
SO, I need to find another pic.....so thanks so much for your help....I may take you up on later (hopefully not too much later) when I find another pic;)

WhiteRaven
05-12-2005, 12:50
Well, the one I wanted was my youngest sons shadow..it's really neat. I realized though that using Kodak imaging that when I looked at it as a thumbnail it wasn't saving it as a thumbnail so the file is too large to upload here.AHHHH!!!
SO, I need to find another pic.....so thanks so much for your help....I may take you up on later (hopefully not too much later) when I find another pic;)

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo

See PM please......

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooo

FantasyWorld
05-12-2005, 13:16
THANK YOU:love:
:love:

WhiteRaven
05-12-2005, 13:22
THANK YOU:love: