The quickest decision to buy a deck

Ahria

I was wondering how long does it take you to buy a deck, and in particular have you ever seen a deck and then gone and bought it?

I did this with my Osho Zen, a friend read for me using the deck and I was so enchanted by it, I literally left her house and went to go find the deck at a esoteric store and bought it then and there, even though at the time I really didn't have the money for it.

Any one else ever been so drawn to a deck?

Dylan

My last two purchases, Robin Wood and Druid Craft, i saw the pictures of a few cards on here and just had to buy them. There was just something that very strongly appealed to me and i was not dissapointed when i got them.
I am currently waiting for the Bright Ideas deck to be delivered, why, i dont really know. Well i do, but its not the sort of thing that would usually appeal to me. For some reason it seemed to really grab me, there was something bout it and it shouted for me to get it. Im really excited about it coming.

Milfoil

The first and only deck, so far, that I have immediately bonded with is The Golden Tarot. I followed the developement of this deck and pre-ordered as soon as I it was possible.

I'm still looking for another contemporary deck to spark my imagination and the 'Monument Tarot' looks like a good candidate!

bleuivy

I try to temper those instincts as much as possible, because internet shopping makes it so easy to buy a deck RIGHT NOW whenever "now" happens to be. After a few quick internet purchaces that didn't work out terribly (the Gendron comes to mind), I try to give myself a month to think about deck before I decide to commit to it.

Recently, however, I bought the Housewives tarot on a whim after reading about it here and seeing pictures online. I was ordering text books from amazon US anyway, so I thought to myself "What the heck, it's only a tiny little tarot deck mixed in with all those text books. How can I not?" I can't say for sure whether that was a good purchace or not, though, because amazon shipped the deck to my house in the states, so I still haven't gotten my hands on it, even after over a month of waiting. My parents are visiting on Friday, so I've made sure they're bringing me my deck. (Sadly, I care more about that than the text books! :D)

Huh. So I guess I still had a month to consider it. The month just happened to be after I'd bought the deck. Wierd.

souljourney

Impulse buying... uh, what... I don't think I've ever heard of that... *goes and looks a Amazon cart*...
SJ

rabidwolfie

Actually, every deck I've ever bought was on impulse.
My dragon deck, the first one I ever had,
My unicorn deck (prepaid & special ordered)
My wolf song cards,
Shapshifters tarot,
druid animal oricle,
I love em all & don't regret any of them.

Although I'll be very happy when I get ahold of the cat people tarot. That one looks awsome

wildginger

impulse buying

most of the decks i have are impulse buys( i am getting my gilded tarot special edition tomorrow and I have had to wait 2 weeks Shock gasp horror) It was an expensive impulse but the deck really spoke to me and I know it will be fantastic. I think it helps if you can view all he cards as some of my decks have been disappointing. Off to dream of my new deck now . W.G

Little Baron

I try not to. Before I found the Grimaud Marseille I went into a shop and bought what I thought was the Grimaud. It had a 'line' illustrating on the front which I thought was just a design and the word 'Grimaud' on the top. The box was red like the Marseille one and the font used looked the same. The woman at the till new nothing about the cards, and neither did the readers that worked there - that always annoys me when people sell things that they know nothing about. Once I had opened the seal, I popped it straight back in and have never looked since.

Have a look at this link and you'll see why I was so disappointed -
http://www.wicce.com/aristapix.html

LB

Logiatrix

What a good question, Ahria...I've never thunk of it before! It's true, though, there is a strong potential for impulsivity when tarot provides so many interesting, beautiful, and accessible choices. That's "accessible" when the prices are within reason, or as long as I don't lose my own sense of reason! I try to be strong, but...

My Sacred Rose was a recent whim that continually pleases me. I wasn't necessarily "drawn" to it, but it was definitely a whim. I think I initially purchased it because the deck I went to that store to buy was gone (though no one had noticed it for five months, till then...grrrrr!).

So, I placated myself with a discount purchase of the Sacred Rose that I had seen there for a long time, but never considered before. It was on clearance because it had been unsealed and looked through, but it was still "like new" despite the lack of cellophane.

I figured that I'd examine the deck, reap the benefits of what it could teach me, then give it away or trade it off after a while. But that has not been the case. I had not considered it to be a potential reading deck, but it is now one of my regular decks and a new favorite.

It was the same kind of scenario with the Inner Child Cards, about five years ago. I went to a new bookstore with a friend, excited at the prospect of new tarot choices. However, the store's tarot supply was sparse, having only the most common offerings. Disappointed, I took a look at my other favorite sections. I found the Inner Child Cards set in the psychology section, and impulsively decided to make it mine. I'd not yet heard of the set, but the summary and pictures on the box easily convinced me that I would not regret the purchase.
I still haven't regretted it (LOL!), and it's also one of my main decks.
:)

Emeraldgirl

I think most of mine have been impulse buys. My Bukland Ronami and Russian Tarot of St Petersburg were and they are still 2 of my fav decks. Although some impulse buys haven't really worked out that well.

Either that or I have seen unreleased decks here and I am jumping from one foot to another in anticipation (Tarot of Dreams is sprining to mind)