Amethyst

psychic sue

Hello all.

Amethyst is my birth stone, and all shades of purple my favourite colours.

I feel drawn to this stone at the moment - I fixed one to the end of my wand, by instinct really.

Can anyone give me any info on this stone, as I am new to crystals, stones, herbs etc.

All info greatly appreciated,

Sue x

Emeraldgirl

Hi Sue,

Amethyst is mt birthstone also and a personal fav (I blew my budget 2 days ago on a big sphere mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sphere *drool*.)

Amethyst is a form of quartz. Amethyst has been recognized for many centuries as a healing stone. Indeed, the Romans believed that if they drank their Wine from goblets wrought from the stone that they would be protected from drunkenness.... There is an Roman/Greek myth that Amethyst's origin that resides with the god Dionysus (Bacchus) and the goddess Diana. Dionysus, the god of wine, celebration, intoxication and joviality, found insult by a mortal who had refused him acknowledgement. Enraged with anger Dionysus vowed to unleash his fury upon all mortals who did not partake in his gifts of wine and drunkenness. He immediately spotted a young maiden named Amethyst who was pure and unfamiliar with being intoxicated. The unsuspecting young virgin, who was on her way to pay homage to the goddess Diana, was detained by the wrathful god. Dionysus summoned two fiercely voracious tigers to devour the youth and sat back with his wine to watch. Amethyst cried out to Diana. When Diana saw what was about to transpire she quickly transformed the young mortal into a glimmering pure white stone (quartz) to protect her from the vicious wrath of Dionysus. Moved with pity Dionysus realized the ruthlessness of his actions and began to weep with sorrow. As the tears dripped into his goblet Dionysus collapsed and the tear-tainted wine ran out onto the stone from the tipped cup. The white stone then absorbed the color from the wine creating the stone now called amethyst.

One of the many aspects, however a very important one for Amethyst, is that it works to build your intuition. Amethyst is a good stone for all beginners new to crystal healing. It will not only encourages the opening of intuition, but will also allow us the possibility of change. Some like to use the energetic qualities of Amethyst to increase self-worth and spiritual peace. Of course this stone aids meditation, eases stress, and helps insomnia. Use on the crown chakra to facilitate visualization and past life recall.

Milfoil

Hi Emeraldgirl

Have you ever found that different Amethyst crystals, regardless of size, shape, finish, colour depth, clarity etc have remarkably different intensities?

I have 3 small amethyst pieces, a polished pebble which sits under my pillow and really does seem to help me dream and two natural points. The darker of the two points (which I would have thought to be the more intense of the two) seems to have very little to no effect or energy for me yet the lighter, slightly larger one seems much more in tune with me.

Odd, I think sometimes it seems to be a very personal thing the choosing of a crystal.

Simone

I have a few natural points too.

Milfoil, do you think they could help me dream (or remember my dreams) if i put them under my pillow?

I will try anyway since I am on a crystal exploration path at the moment :)

I cannot tell much about the stone for the moment, maybe I can later ;)

Love
Simone

Emeraldgirl

I use amethyst a lot. It is a great stone to destress with.

Milfoil: When choosing a gem/crystal for healing and meditative purposes (as opposed to investment and jewellery making purposes) I don't rely on the colour or size of the stone more the feel of the stone.

When healing at home and using stones I already own I tend to rely on my instincts and trust the best stone to find me.

When purchasing stones I am a pretty strict beforehand (in most cases there have been impulse buys). I browse the cases to see if anything calls me. When and if a stone does I hold the stone, inspect the stone, sit with it for a while and see if we can work together. Thankfully most of the places where I shop know me and accept what I do (maybe cause 90% of the time it ends in a purchase) that way I know that I am definately getting a stone that will be a great asset to my life and that I can use and connect to.

Kyrielle

Amethyst is a good stone for dreaming. It allows access to the intuition and higher mind as it makes relaxation and sleep easier. Some people seem to be sensitive to the color of the amethyst in this case -- the darker stones may cause more intense dreams, possibly nightmares, that they may not be ready to deal with yet. Others find any amethyst, dark or light, works okay for them. If you are just starting out and think you might be affected by the color, start with a pale stone and experiment.

I personally also love this stone and have never had any negative experiences with it, whether it is colored light or dark.

It pairs well with rose quartz. Amethyst is a stone of the mind, while rose quartz is a stone of the heart, so working with them both balances the intellect and intuition with the emotions.

Kyrielle

Simone

Well, I slept with my Amethyst point last night - and had a dream!...

...about bassetized (here from AT) telling me she had dreamed someone told her I looked like an Angel :) :p

Love
Simone

Milfoil

Milfoil, do you think they could help me dream (or remember my dreams) if i put them under my pillow?

Hello Simone

Yes, against all my better instincts (ever the sceptic ;) ) I tried a lovely polished piece of light coloured amethyst under my pillow some weeks back (I'm on a similar voyage of discovery with crystals too) and it worked from the start. I used to dream quite vividly, every night but for the past 2-3 years my sleep has been quite barren. Since using the amethyst I dream every night and remember quite a lot of detail too (don't know how to interpret it yet - its a lot of learning!)

Glad you are finding that it works for you too.

When healing at home and using stones I already own I tend to rely on my instincts and trust the best stone to find me.

When purchasing stones I am a pretty strict beforehand (in most cases there have been impulse buys). I browse the cases to see if anything calls me. When and if a stone does I hold the stone, inspect the stone, sit with it for a while and see if we can work together. Thankfully most of the places where I shop know me and accept what I do (maybe cause 90% of the time it ends in a purchase) that way I know that I am definately getting a stone that will be a great asset to my life and that I can use and connect to.

Thanks Emeraldgirl

I have to say that up until a few weeks ago I was very sceptical about the tangible benefits from crystals but I just can't deny that some do 'speak' to me. For example (and I would love if someone else could try this to see if it's not just my imagination) if I hold a crystal to my forehead (just above and between my eyes) and meditate, nothing deep just calm, relaxed, eyes closed and focus. I find that each crystal emmits an energy that I can see. I see different colours depending on the crystal; it doesn't depend on the colour of the crystal but rather on the energy that that particular crystal seems to have at that time. One amethist point I have comes through much stronger than others, sometimes a white glow/mist other times a bluish glow/mist and with differing intensities yet a small polished piece of black stone (I confess I have no idea what it is) always appears as a difiuse green mist!

Your comments confirm what I have already found - that you have to bond with or somehow connect with a crystal for it to be useful rather than just ornamental - thankyou.

Can anyone give me any info on this stone, as I am new to crystals, stones, herbs etc.

Sue - as you have probably gathered from my posts across the forum, I am only just starting on a voyage of discovery into many areas, I love Tarot which is what brought me here but reading about so many other areas of self discovery has set me to learning about so much more. I am a novice to crystals but as far as my experiences with Amethyst go, dreams are certainly enhanced, more relaxed and more vivid. I am still working on using Amethyst to enhance other areas of inner sight but I do feel a strong sense of 'validation' when working with them.

Milfoil

I hold the stone, inspect the stone, sit with it for a while and see if we can work together. Thankfully most of the places where I shop know me and accept what I do (maybe cause 90% of the time it ends in a purchase)

I was thinking about this the next time I go hunting for crystals but I'm not sure how the outlets I go into would react to me sitting or standing there for 10 minutes or so clutching a crystal to my forehead, then repeating it with the next one . . . . . LOL I have this mental picture in my head now which is quite funny!

I think I'll just have to go on instinct. ;)

I love looking on Ebay and the net but its almost impossible to get any sort of feeling for which is a real shame.

Ahria

I have used an Amethyst to relax me to go to sleep for which it has worked really well, but thinking back I have been dreaming more as well (I thought that was my dreamcatcher :) )

I think I should start making notes.