Struck by this for a tarot image...

Cerulean

I found this used book for a few dollars, color illustrations and the title is "The Harvester" by Gene Stratton Porter, with illustrations by W.L. Jacobs. Copyright 1911. I found this online photo that shows the most mysteriously beautiful illustration:

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/images/modeng/public/StrHarv/strhafrt.jpg

You should be able to go to this page and enlarge the painting.

The male character is dreaming and his dog is looking up at him; in the distance the dream woman appears as a vision. It's cheesy as old romance, but I don't mind having a few old hardback books with color illustrations and period stories for a few dollars; cheaper than the flimsey new paperback version with faded old copied black and white prints of the original painting.

As a lovely painting that shows a tarot mood, would it be the Star to you?

I almost think the Secrets Tarot from Lo Scarabeo or perhaps the forthcoming Archeon Tarot has this mood--or does the collage tarots out there feel like this? For example the Lunea Weatherstone one...?

Anyway, I curious if others think it's very pretty and can suggest a tarot with the same mood...or think the ones that I suggested are similar?

Cerulean

Goldenhair

For me, the illustration suggests the Moon. There is a glimpse of the moon in the upper right corner. If you can, compare it to the Moon card in the Via Tarot. The luminousity suggests the same dreamy feel. A very lovely picture. I'd post an attachment of the Via card but I don't have a scanner [yet].

Rosanne

Cerulean- I so loved Gene Stratton Porter when I was a girl, 'The Girl of the Limberlost' and 'Freckles'. I would have been so thrilled to have found a book. The illustration is lovely and moody and of that time. I too would think it was like the Moon, rather than the Star. I don't think I have seen a Tarot with quite that look, but I have my thinking cap on now. Thank you for that. Fulgour I loved those links of Suling Wang and one you posted made my lip tremble. Soppy 'ol me. Anyway I am going to see if I can buy a small print.~Rosanne

Fulgour

? portrait of: XIV Temperance

Portraits of Gene Stratton Porter
http://www.in.gov/dnr/heritage/2001/photos.jpg

Stratton Porter made photographs, wrote poems and novels,
painted pictures and wrote stories of life in the dark wet woods in a
time when many feared what inhabited the vast Indiana swamplands.

Hi Rosanne. There is a cardinal that owns a pine tree in my front yard,
and he is a champion wit. Whenever I go out (during the day) he tells
me ribald stories in a voice loud enough to be heard in the next county,
where I imagine he keeps a vacation cottage in an an equally fine old
pine tree. ~Fulgour

The Song of the Cardinal by Gene Stratton Porter (1903)
http://www.ewebtribe.com/inspiration/stratton-song.html

Khatruman

My first thought for that image was The Hermit.

In a way, it connects to The Fool, with the dog in the picture, and I think it is a good connection between the Hermit and Fool.

tarotbear

Can it be this image is an archetype ... ? :smoker:

jmd

How about the Fool, looking back at the World?

The Dreamer

I can't think of any tarots which share the same art style.
In regard to mood, it reminds me of Pinocchio and the Blue Fairy.
Maybe it is an archetype. Representing the mysterious which appears in the mundane human world and promises to possibly be real. The Fool looking at the World would be very apt.

Cerulean

Wow, thanks for your replies!

I enjoyed every reply and thank you all for your refreshing insights and opinions.

And thanks for the intuitive beautiful images that you found, Fulgour...turns out the Harvester is about a man who encounters waking dream vision of a beautiful, healthy young woman who gives him a kiss and vanishes. The rest of the story shows a somewhat rugged naturalist 'hero' based on Thoreau who changes his rough cabin and rugged ways to a quest for a beloved.

He finds a somewhat sick, orphaned heroine who wants to earn money pay off a debt in regards to her mother's death. She is too sick to fend off a mean uncle (who would have her be unpaid housekeeper and drudge he could work to death). The Harvester and others help her find strength. Eventually she becomes healthier and finds lost grandparents, finds peace with wounded soul, etc. The final written scene is her full recovery, eager to live and work and also care for her new-found grandparents and place with Harvester.

Tribute page and links to full-text of three novels, including the Harvester:

http://www.bsu.edu/ourlandourlit/Literature/Authors/portergs.htm

I'll have to think about the Moon, because she as a vision becomes a promise that is fulfilled. As a tale to be aligned with major arcana, both of them walk through several stages. When I think of her, it's like reading a story of a pale shadow of a High Priestess that finally becomes an Empress...

Best regards and happy reading!

Cerulean