Recommended New England crystal shops?

joya250

Hello,

I know this thread is pretty limited, since I'm inquiring about a specific location... but I thought perhaps someone out there would be able to help.

I have recently aquired a new-found interest in crystals and crystal healing. I live in Massachusetts, and would be willing to drive some distance for a really-good crystal shop. However, I am having a little difficulty locating one. Yes, I know, there are numerous "new age" shops in the area... but I'm looking for a place that specializes in crystals AND is reasonably priced.

I actually found a shop in New Hampshire. It had a beautiful and impressive collection... and the prices were unbelievable (as in very inexpensive.) However, I did not like the vibe/attitude of the owner. I went to the shop with a group from a local crystal healing class. I actually had quite a bit of cash on me and was definitely planning to purchase a decent amount. But the owner reprimanded me for TOUCHING the stones... and implied that I shouldn't be handling anything, including the more expensive items, as if I wasn't serious about buying them. That ruffled my feathers enough for me to decide that wasn't the place for me. (How can you decide on a crystal without handling it? Not to mention, I was already carrying around another larger stone I was planning to purchase.)

I was torn because that really could have been a wonderful place, since it had the selection and the low-prices... but as I said, after that encounter with the owner, I had a very bad taste in my mouth.

So, I figure there must be other little shops like that. Any suggestions???
I have tried searching online, but I am just finding bigger and more generalized New Age stores (and correspondingly, much more expensive...)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

joya

muteswan

I'd go back, and if he pulled that again, just tell him firmly but politely that you are interested in purchasing, but if you aren't allowed to handle the merchandise, you'll take your money elsewhere.

Try to be holding a pricy item when you say that. Any owner with sense will back down.

What shop was this? I'm in NH, so reasonable gems in the area would be really interesting to know about.

Oh, and depending on what you're looking for, check out Amber Moon, a small shop on Main Street in Keene. It's underneath a coffee shop called Brewbakers, you can smell the nag champa outside. :)

It's run by a wonderful woman, someone I've not hesitated to ask advice of and chat with on various subjects, including gemstones and tarot. She has a small collection of gems for sale, a whole lot of quartz points, but reasonable prices, and is someone worth keeping in business and checking out.

I recently bought a lingham stone about the size of my hand from her for $20, an excellent price for those. She's very willing to find out whatever she can about what you're looking at/for with her resources, and may be willing to special order, I've never asked, I'm more of a browser. :-D

Imagemaker

I'm curious as to where you were, Joya. There's a nice shop in Milford NH (Rt 101A, beyond Shaw's Plaza, on the left side just before Elisha's Restaurant) with lots of choices. I was never reprimanded there for handling things.

Dunstable Mass has a place right in town, Route 113, red house, has Stone in the title, higher prices, but super nice people.

Imagemaker

And the place where Contrascarpe reads, just north of Worcester, is a SUPER place--you could PM for the name and location. Worth the drive!

I know of a place near Wolfeboro that's great, too. Little shop with tons of crystals, polished balls, jewelry, beads, really large inventory. No shop names come to mind in this minute. These places are all a drive for me, but they were memorable if you want to take a day trip. If you want more info, I'll chase it down.

Bluemanticore

Joya, sorry I can't help you re: finding stores, but if I may throw in my two cents, I suggest you try that store again. It sounds like you really liked it, and who knows, the next time you go maybe that foolish businessperson will not be there and you will instead find someone working who knows how to work with the customer to make a sale. Best of luck.
BlueManticore

joya250

Hi Muteswan, Imagemaker, and Bluemanticore ~

Thank you for your responses.

I actually had a $350 beautiful quartz crystal in my hand, and did tell him I felt I needed to feel the stone before deciding on purchasing or not. I also had a less expensive stone, but still a decent size, that I had been carrying around and set down to pick the other one up. So, it was obvious that I was already buying one item, at least. ... apparently then he had no "sense" of customer relations?! Sigh. You know, it is STILL bothering me over 24 hours later... (Oh, and he was the owner, not just an employee.)

Thank you as well for your suggestions. Imagemaker, I am actually very close to Worcester, as I live in MA. The store in New Hampshire is a little less than 2 hours away, so it is quite a hike.

I don't know the name of the store, but I can tell you it is located either in, or very close to Hooksett, NH. It is on Rt. 28. I actually think the name might just be Minerals and Gemstones, or something like that. .... actually, I just tried to look it up online to see if I could find the name... it might be called "A Broader Concept". Hmmph. Some concept.

I don't mind sharing the information -- and I really wish if any of you do decide to check it out that it is worth your while. I also would love to hear if you had "touching" issues, or if the owner 'copped a 'tude with you.

Good luck! I think I'll contact Contrascarpe about the Worcester shop info. That might be just what I'm looking for! (knock on wood!)

joya

tarotbear

Have been to Amber Moon in Keene~ nice place but check what hours they are open, especially in the summer! Will be moving to NH in the autumn - to West Chesterfield.

Problem is, joya250, that many shops come and go faster that you can wave a crystal wand! For about two years my boyfriend and I went on Sunday excursions to check out New Age/pagan/ stone shops by picking up whatever newspapers were in the shops and looking for places that sounded great. Lots were obviously set up as 'tax loss shelters' and did not last long. There was a large one in MA called The Abyss, but they went strictly online. The best thing I can tell you is pick up a new-agy magazine in a bookstore and look for ads for shops, and just keep going from there. In those shops also look for business cards from other places and just keep making lists and making trips to check them out.

Crystal shops are hard to find, probably because they cost a lot to stock! That is why they are always a shelf or two in a bookstore unless it is a rock shop or a head shop. Since you are in MA, have you been to Northampton, Salem or to P-Town in season?

Simone

Hehe, replying from over the pond:

I know there is a shop in Boston (been there ;) ), but I forgot the name.

I will pm contrascarpe, he certainly can come up with more info if still needed!

Love
Simone

Edited to add:

I've just seen you already decided to contact him... so you might ask about the shop in Boston at the same time :)

SongDeva

There is a place in New Hampshire that has very reasonably priced stones and a fab selection...it's called Gemstar. Is it possible that this is the one you visited?

At any rate, there is a brand new New Age shop in Saugus, called Zuzu's Beads.
(No, it's not a bead shop).

The owner happens to be a very gifted crystal reader/worker...not sure how to explain. She sells crystals as well as crystal jewelry (ss and natural stones) and chooses all her items by their energy and the gifts they bring. I happen to know that she is going on a buying trip next Saturday, and would be able to find things you might need, if you could tell her what you want. She's the type who can speak to the stones to find out if they are for you or not. In addtion, she can read people and tell them what stones they need, and in addition, which of what she has, for example, is for you. If there's nothing for you, she'll tell you that.

The entire store is priced such that she gives the best possible deal for each item. Should be zuzusbeads. com .
PM me if you'd like a phone number.

Sd