Astrocartography

ncefafn

Has anyone ever used this technique in picking a city/state/country to visit or live? What was your experience?

Kim

dadsnook2000

A valid tool

ncefafn, this is a valid tool. It is not in wide use by many astrologers yet due to several reasons:
1) You need computer software that can generate the specialized maps
2) You have to pay for a service provider to generate a chart for you
3) You need to be familiar enough with natal astrology to feel comfortable with using a new technique -- OR you have to trust the report that is often provided with a service provider chart.

Essentially, astrocartography maps the world or a region with lines that show where a planet/Sun/Moon will be angular for a chart cast for that locality. As many on this list know, I have been a strong advocate of "angularity" in interpreting charts. A planet on a angle for a given locality is always very strong in its manifestation. People relocate or travel to where their Venus-line is mapped -- this is where they can better relate to others. Or they go where Sun or Jupiter is angular -- this is where they can have a greater personal or business impact.

If you have reason to relocate or wish to travel and visit places where you will tend to experience more of some facet of your chart, then this technique can benefit you. I will be leaving on vacation so I won't be available to contribute much more to this discussion. But, other's on this list have the same software as I do, or comparable software, and can generate these types of charts and probably answer your questions. Dave.

Astraea

Astrological mapping is a useful and fascinating study. It is important to realize that for there to be appreciable differences in delineation between one location and another, they need to be at least 300 miles apart (as a function of planetary orbs, which extend the area of aspects' influences).

Solar Fire, Matrix, Io (for Mac) and Kepler have wonderful mapping modules. Solar Fire comes with a mini-mapping module they call Solar Maps Lite; the full mapping program is called Solar Maps, which can either stand alone or interface smoothly with Solar Fire.

Of all the mapping programs I've seen, Kepler's (http://www.astrosoftware.com) is the most detailed and visually helpful -- the orbs of influence appear as colored lines which fade from bright-to-faint, graphically demonstrating their strength. Kepler comes with several preconfigured options for selecting locations that might benefit specific areas of life like romance, work and family relationships.

Astro*Carto*Graphy® is a trademark covering the particular methods advanced by the late Jim Lewis, and practitioners can be trained and certified using that specific curriculum. Astrological mapping, per se, is essentially Astro*Carto*Graphy® without the label and trademark.

isthmus nekoi

Ah, I believe his name here is Fluffmeister - he knows quite a bit about the practice and relocated himself w/positive results. Basically, you try to move somewhere to put a planet on an angle. For example, if I were born in Vancouver, I'd have Jupiter on my ASC.

ncefafn

Thanks to everyone for their swift replies. I have an old Io program, which doesn't allow for mapping; to get the update would cost more money than I'm willing to spend at the present. I'll check out Kepler's software -- thanks!

Astro.com, on Thursdays, allows you access to their astro-mapping service. I was looking at a place I was considering visiting, but then saw that the Pluto/Asc line ran straight through it. This gave me pause.

Kim