PDA

View Full Version : Dog Pooh....

TemperanceAngel
17-04-2005, 17:47
Sorry about the title there, but it's what this thread is about. Moddies if you want to change the title please feel free :)

My husband and I use the back entrance to our house, friends and clients use the front. The problem is that right where you enter through the gate (which can't be closed due to crazy vines growing on it) there is a dog that relieves itself right there.

The other day I was cleaning it up (and there was lots of it) and now there is more again??!!!!

Any ideas of herbs or the likes that will detract this dog from using our garden path as its loo?

Muchly appreciated :D

Grigori
17-04-2005, 18:02
Not a herbal solution, but if the place still smells like his poo, the dog will keep going there.

Something nicely toxic might clean the area and break the cycle. I'd think maybe bleach, or one of those "dog smell" sprays even. Then maybe you could plant something nice and punguent (or thorny }) ).

Also what about a plastic soft-drink bottle half full of water? I don't know why they work, but I've heard they keep critters like dogs and cats away from plants. Even if it doesn't work, the person walking the dog might get the hint and go next door :D

Rosanne
17-04-2005, 18:03
Now thats a real crappy thing to happen. Dog owners can be very neglectful. There is a product called Dog repellent that you spray on rubbish bags to keep dogs away- it is apparently non-chemical (man made that is) but I have used a small packet of powdered black pepper to good effect as the little canine darlings always sniff before defecating. You will be kept awake by sneezing dogs and will have to repeat few times. Try the Spray!! Or wait hiding behind the vines until dog and owner appear jump out and frighten the c..p out of the owner.. hand them a plastic bag and say "PICK THAT UP!!!"~Rosanne

TemperanceAngel
17-04-2005, 18:07
Thanks similia and Rosanne!

The fact that someone lets their dog do that is beyond me (unless my husband and I have annoyed a neighbor :confused: )

The black pepper is a great idea! And I will get onto a herbal spray type thing :)

Moongold
17-04-2005, 18:14
Dear Ms TemperanceAngel

We are writing to say that your heading is libellous to Bears, namely of the Winnie the Pooh variety (not the Tarotbear variety).

Dog p** is spelled Poo not POOH.

Bears like Winnie do not poo in people's gateways. They are far more gentile and mannered than that.

Please rescind your words, insinuations and misapprehensions.

Many Thanks ~

POOH FAN CLUB and members of PAW (Pooh Appreciators of the World)

rainstarhorizon
17-04-2005, 18:25
It is usually available at Supermarkets for a few dollars. Buy an inexpensive sprayer bottle and add 4tbspns to a pint of water. (My I had to stop and think there as I guess you probably use pints not litres where you are...6 tbspns to a litre of water for the metric users!)

This would be OK to spray on the actual gate as well if you needed to ie if the dirty doggie is "marking his territory" by "spraying" too.

You may need to spray twice a day for a few days- depending on when they go for walks past your house....doing it beforehand should discourage Fido.

Citronella Oil is pungent to the dogs and is often recommended also to keep them away from prized pieces of furniture indoors by giving the legs a wipe.

Have you seen those little signs children put out before Christmas saying "Santa Please Stop Here" ? The owner seems as much to blame as the dog and maybe you could get and repaint one of those little signs to say "Dogwalkers Do Not Stop Here" ....and of course spray that too with Citronella!!!!

TemperanceAngel
17-04-2005, 18:29
Citronella, of course! Thank you rainstarhorizon :)

I have actually thought of putting a plastic bag and sign on the gate to the owner, it's just so rude....

Emily
17-04-2005, 23:23
You've just made me think of a nice little story - well it was funny at the time.lol

In the next street to us there lives a man who is very particular about his garden and keeps the pavement in front of his house weeded too. His garden and pavement always look lovely. That was until someone started walking their dog in his street.

In a couple of days there must have been 3 or 4 poo's collecting there, it looked like it had been dropped by a donkey not a dog. He made it known to his neighbours that he was angry that the poo was being left, we heard about it too in the next street. He started to move the poo and keep watch but still it kept appearing. He could never find out who was doing it so he took drastic action lol

Over night a white sign appeared in front of his wall on the pavement BEWARE DOG POISON - in big white letters. He made it known that he had sprayed with a poison.

The poo's stopped appearing but someone reported him to the RSPCA - He hadn't sprayed with anything but it worked the RSPCA gave him a telling off and whoever was walking their dog and letting it poo stopped too. :D

The white sign stopped on his pavement for years :)

Slightly off topic but a good story :)

Kyrielle
18-04-2005, 14:45
When I had a dog I always respected a "Please keep dogs off the lawn" sign. You could try one of those, assuming the dogwalker is sensitive and can read.

Kyrielle

prudence
18-04-2005, 15:30
Thanks so much for this thread! We have a terrible problem in this neighborhood with owners walking their dogs and allowing them to poo right ON the mail box post or in front of it,

or in my garden that surrounds the mailbox post. I have had them do this with me standing there talknig to them!!

As if it were the most normal thing in the world to let your dog do that to someone else's garden!

I am very excited about using the black pepper! It will work even for dogs off leash!

must say, it gives me a chuckle to see on the main AT Forums page, the title to this thread, with my name beneath it! (i.e. "Dog POO/ Astrid O" I have a very immature sense of humor, I know)

Sophie
19-04-2005, 05:36
In parts of Southern Zimbabwe, and in Eastern Congo as well, elephant poo is used to make powerful magic.

So if you replace that poo-ing dog for an elephant - you have magic on your doorstep ;) (and the dog will certainly never return!)

(not to mention bringing to Australia the marvel of an Heffalump - for the Pooh-lovers :P)

Moongold
19-04-2005, 08:08
In parts of Southern Zimbabwe, and in Eastern Congo as well, elephant poo is used to make powerful magic.

So if you replace that poo-ing dog for an elephant - you have magic on your doorstep ;) (and the dog will certainly never return!)

(not to mention bringing to Australia the marvel of an Heffalump - for the Pooh-lovers :P)

Hehehehee :)

prudence
19-04-2005, 08:08
So Helvetica, did it not tickle your funny bone to see

"Dog Pooh
2 HOURS AGO
By HELVETICA"

on the main page for Talk Forum?

I must be too easily amused. Ahh, but now it will be my name taking credit for this thread!

That is very interesting about the elephant poo, by the way...

TemperanceAngel
19-04-2005, 08:10

But Helvetica, there is no such thing as magic ;)

Moongold
19-04-2005, 08:25
Ah ........... you can have a black dog experience or a Pooh Bear experience:

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A. A. Milne

Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them

Eeyore

TemperanceAngel
19-04-2005, 08:32
Dog p** is spelled Poo not POOH.

It's quite simple really, just ask a moddie to change the title if it's offensive :)

Moongold
19-04-2005, 08:59
TA ......

It is not offensive at all :)

It is just the kind of thing that Winnie the Pooh would love.

It did seem funny and I apologise if seeing it as that upset you :(

TemperanceAngel
19-04-2005, 09:07
Didn't upset me at all, ahhh the power of the written word...I thought it upset you....LOL!

Moongold
19-04-2005, 09:10
Ah .... .... you misread my humour. :)

I thought it was a delightful, maybe unintended, pun.

However, I guess the pungent reality would easily overwhelm the intended play.

Here is some practical help from another Bear:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=40475

prudence
19-04-2005, 12:56
I thought it was funny, I hope my silliness isn't offensive!

(now it is there again..."Dog Pooh
1 minute ago
By Astrid O"

giggle giggle)

Moongold
19-04-2005, 16:39
Astrid ~

I've just cottoned on to why you keep posting in this thread :)

Muuuuuwwwahhhhhhh!

Sophie
19-04-2005, 20:24
But Helvetica, there is no such thing as magic ;)In elephant poo, apparently, there is ;)

(and in your house too I am sure Temperance Angel :) - and without the aid of such large excrement)

prudence
20-04-2005, 05:10
Astrid ~

I've just cottoned on to why you keep posting in this thread :)

Muuuuuwwwahhhhhhh!

yes Moongold,

it is true,

but everyone keeps stealing my glory! Now, it should stay this way for at least a while. Helvetica had all the glory for the last few hours, now my turn!

Dog Pooh......
By Astrid O
1 Minute ago

it's like having my name on a marquee, a very silly and immature marquee.

Sophie
20-04-2005, 06:04
Sorry Astrid....your silliness has just been topped....

Dylan
20-04-2005, 06:05
I wish i had a way to stop cats pooing and spraying on mine. It seems my house is the local cat populations crossover boundary.
Poo on the front lawn daily, spraying and killing many plants.

At least i know its not a dog owner letting his animal do his business anywhere with no thought for others.

Ive tried different sprays, powders, even a rubber snake! nothing stops them.

Sophie
20-04-2005, 06:07
Try elephant poo. Deep poo magic. Works every time.

Majecot
20-04-2005, 07:59
I have the same problem with my neighbor's (translate into brother in law who thinks it is funny) dog. In Jacks (the dog) case I think it is a case of orneriness and he does it on purpose.
I have been reading throught this thread and thinking, we broke our dog from getting into the garbage buy using a little Tabasco sauce...hmmm maybe some Cayenne Pepper sprinkled in the area will keep your pest away from your gate...Majecot runs to sprinkle some on her porch to see if it works on Jack.

bladeraven
20-04-2005, 12:25
Try elephant poo. Deep poo magic. Works every time.

I wonder if that would work with bosses too???

tarotbear
20-04-2005, 16:24
I was always told that dogs don't crap where they eat or play, so why not try feeding your brother-in-laws dog, or invite him to play in your yard more? Then he'll go crap elsewhere.

"Don't s**t where you eat " - old Italian expression.

Rosanne
20-04-2005, 16:33
That is perfectly true tarotBear. That is why people think plastic bottles filled with water -strewn around their lawn works. It does'nt 'cos those dogs don't drink there. Your idea has great merit if you know the little darling. In France they have these sandpits along the edge of parks and all the dogs go there. Feel sorry for the street cleaners tho.~ Rosanne

Majecot
21-04-2005, 01:33
I was always told that dogs don't crap where they eat or play, so why not try feeding your brother-in-laws dog, or invite him to play in your yard more? Then he'll go crap elsewhere.

"Don't s**t where you eat " - old Italian expression.

Oh but he does come over, much more often than I would like. Our fault really, we gave them the dog. I swear he just gets mad when I tell him to go home...My spouse told his brother that if Jack keeps doing it he will put it in his brothers bed...lol

TA- Seriously, I used to get Apple Bitters spray from a pet store to keep a dog from chewng. It might work for your poo problem that or the cayenne pepper. I thionk your biggest problem is the owner of the dog though ( like mine is).

Josh
21-04-2005, 06:14
Now its my turn to have my name next to Dog Pooh by Josh 1 minute ago!!!! heheheheh, i know im immature lol but its fun!!!!

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

prudence
21-04-2005, 06:26
sorry josh!!

glory is all mine!

TemperanceAngel
21-04-2005, 10:51
Thanks for all the help everyone!

And you others are funny with you wanting to see your name next to

"Dog Pooh"

(This time it's me }) )

bladeraven
21-04-2005, 13:16
Okay...stealing the glory from everyone...I got Dog Pooh next to my name..woohoo...

DarkElectric
21-04-2005, 14:04
I hope no one "poo-poo's" this suggestion.....
Try planting the herb Tansy around your door, or in the area of the yard where the dog poos. It's very strong smelling, with insect repellent properties as well. Animals don't really like the odor of this common garden plant, which has lovely yellow flowers when it blooms. It has a strong medicinal smell. I find it pleasantly spicy, although some people don't really care for it. You might want to give some a whiff to see if it smells okay to you, if you decide to try it!

Wisp Wings
21-04-2005, 15:50
Tansy is a good idea, but you do need to know a few things first if you go this route. Do confine it and know that it is hard to stop it's spreading once started. However, more importantly, for anyone that lives in the country, do not grow it. It will kill cattle. It is fast growing and very hard to get rid of.

I wonder if germander might work for this cause as well. It is very medicine smelling.

I really hate to suggest this, (Devilish smile) definitely don't do this to a degree that it would be harmful, but I would kind of be thinking on helping this owner out in getting his dog to do the DO prior to your place.... LOL in the means of loosing his bowels a wee bit... Can we said laxative? I do think if you had something the dog would eat that would only lightly affect him, the owner would have an unpleasant experience and would get the hint.

I hope that doesn't offend anyone and I am certainly not meaning to harm the dog or to poison him. I dearly love animals!

Eco74
21-04-2005, 21:00
Can we said laxative?

Well, a more dog-friendly way of doing that could be to put up a notice leaving a piece of meat beneath it. The meat being just fine, and the note saying "beware, laxatives".

Might get that pesky dog-owner to walk past a little faster with the dog and give enough time to get the old smells off and replaced with peppers of all kinds.
Once the smell that used to be there is gone the dog won't find it so interesting anymore either.

Perhaps a sign saying "surveilance cameras mounted" could also do the trick. ;)

Eagerly awaiting the "Dog Pooh, by Eco74" *giggles*

Moongold
27-04-2005, 19:37
Perhaps the solution always was simply hunny :).

prudence
28-04-2005, 03:10
OMG Moongold!!

That's too cute!

Yay!!! My Pooh thread resurected!

tamaray
29-04-2005, 13:29
What a mess that is.... My dog poo's in her yard only... but I know it happens... My mom says Cyanne pepper is the best.... they won't come back for that burns bad.... more than a snezz...... but the pepper in any flavor should do the trick... good luck and let us know how it goes.... peace and love tamaray

calligirl
04-05-2005, 05:44
Can't resist the pull of the 'poo'...

On a serious note, what about mothballs? I heard (don't know for sure) that dogs and cats do not like mothballs. Couldn't you maybe leave them there for a little while so that the smell would linger. 'Cause seems to me once that smell is around, you can't get rid of it with anything.

I'm not suggesting you let the dog eat the mothballs but some dogs might eat anything...

Emeraldgirl
04-05-2005, 15:51
I want my name up here to :D

Last time I had a doggy and owner team making use of my lawn I waited for them behind a tree in my yard (they walked past at the same time every night and right in the middle of doggy doing business I jumped out and squirted both owner and dog with a hose. Ok not very nice I know ( cold night }) ) but they have never been back.

tarotbear
04-05-2005, 16:55
BRILLIANT,emeraldgirl! I was wondering why someone hadn't done this sooner, particularly when the 'pooing' seems to be on a schedule.... Squirt the dog ( and the owner, too---love it!) should get the point across! :smoker:

prudence
31-05-2005, 03:47
So, this AM I finally got annoyed enough to sprinkle generously some red cayenne pepper and also some ground black pepper, on the part of my yard that neighbors and their dogs seem to think is their toilet. Believe it or not, my kids' basketball hoop stand gets pooped on and peed on all of the time, while the owners just pretend they are doing nothing wrong!!!

I do hope it works.

oh, on a lesser note, Dog Pooh, by astrid o...LOL

Emeraldgirl
01-06-2005, 15:12
How did it go Astrid? Any results yet?

prudence
05-06-2005, 11:04
Hi emeraldgirl!
well...I can't tell actually, the wind did seem to take some of it away. I had sprinkled it all over the base of my kids basketball hoop stand, as some folks think it is a good spot to let their dogs poop and pee! This would not bother me if my kids and their toddler friends didn't enjoy climbing around on it so much. I also sprinkled it in our garden that surrounds our mailbox, at the road's edge, as this also seems to be a favorite poop/pee spot. (my neighbors behave quite shamefully,eh?!)

I expected to have at least some noticable results, but not yet anyway! If an angry neighbor asks me what on earth we treat our plants with, I'll know something happened!

Nevada
05-06-2005, 12:17
Also what about a plastic soft-drink bottle half full of water? I don't know why they work, but I've heard they keep critters like dogs and cats away from plants. Even if it doesn't work, the person walking the dog might get the hint and go next door :DI've heard of this as well. And here's a site that mentions it as originating in Australia, and includes it among other solutions:

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/981116b.cfm

Good luck, TA.

Nevada

Emily
06-06-2005, 00:09
What about bleach? Put it neat around the area that is being pooed on, it will leave a strong smell and, hopefully, a white stain where its been put. Keep any kids away for a couple of days, then wash it off.

You could also use disinfectant but don't wash that off, the smell might put the dogs off.

I have a driveway and for a while, just a few of days, I had someone's dog leaving me little pressies in the middle of my drive - I kept watch but didn't catch who was doing it. I have a dog too and so have little poo bags that I put my dogs poo into.

I moaned to neighbours that someone was letting a dog poo in my driveway and if I caught them I was going to post all their dogs poo through their letterbox. It stopped lol

wizzle
06-06-2005, 04:01
I head that cocoa mulch will keep animals away. They don't like the smell. But people do. And it's good for your plants. Don't know if it's available everywhere but is easy to find in California (isn't everything?)

Ciao

Wizzle le pooh

prudence
06-06-2005, 08:25
Thanks for pulling that up Nevada, I hadn't seen it, all the times I have read this thread! (must need glasses)

This may help, as the dog's owner may figure,
"Oh, that is someone's drink there, maybe my doggy shouldn't pee or pooo on it" (then again, maybe not!)

Tarotphelia
07-06-2005, 12:19
Bears like Winnie do not poo in people's gateways. They are far more gentile and mannered than that.

Winnie the Pooh is a gentile? I never knew.

Sillanza
14-06-2005, 16:33
My mom had a sign in her yard that solved this problem. It said something to the effect of "here lies the last dog that cr@pped in my yard." Subtle, no? ;)

I've always approached this problem with strategic plantings: a generic landscape rose in a color you like usually does the trick. Easy care, and kids already know not to mess with roses. Plus, deer don't favor them as a snack. Good luck!

prudence
14-06-2005, 16:56
Thanks for that rose bush suggestion, sillanza!!

Stillnot so sure about the effectiveness of the pepper, it does get windy here. I think I need to reapply!